• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    So I'm sitting here at home, and there was a tentative knock at the front door. Now, being the paranoid person I am, and thinking that 11:00 at night is a bit late for unannounced callers, I immediately thought something might not be quite right.

I looked out the little window in the door, and saw a man there. I also noticed that there was a car out front. That's about all I could tell, though - when I tried to flip on my porch light it was out. My house has some electrical issues, and that light in particular blows at least once a month. The street I live on is pretty dark in the first place, and I didn't immediately recognize the man, or the shadowy vehicle parked in front of the house.

Once again feeling paranoid, and my adrenaline starting to flow a bit, I unholstered my handgun. I placed the toes of my shoes against the door so I could stop it from being opened if someone tried to push it from outside, and opened the door slightly with my left hand. With my right hand, I held my sidearm behind the door where the person on the other side wouldn't be able to see it, pointed at the ground with my finger off the trigger. I opened the door, just a crack.

The man outside introduced himself as my new neighbor. (I had a new neighbor move in a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't really seen him.) He just caught someone trying to break into his truck, and wanted to let me know so I could check my car. The unidentified vehicle, once there was a bit more light, turned out to be a police cruiser.

I thanked him and went out to check my car, which was fine. And I'll probably pick up a six pack and bring it to my new neighbor, to thank him and introduce myself properly. :D

My question is this: Do you think I was over-reacting? How would INGO have handled it? :draw:

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    Not over-reacting at all IMO.

Sucks for your new neighbor though that someone was trying to break into his truck...what a welcome to the new neighborhood.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Better to walk away from an 'over-reaction' than be carried away incapacitated and/or dead after under-reacting. Only a fool would fail to see that it is a dangerous world out there, especially given the abnormal circumstances.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    i think you reacted fine, just last week i had the same thing, i got a knock on my door (i live in an Apartment Building and noone really talks to each other so i was concerned lol) the other night at about 11:30 or so and i immediately muted my tv and grabbed my gun, silently walked to the door and looked through my peephole, it was some girl that i had never seen before so i didnt answer, eventually she walked away and i resumed my tv watching.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    i think you reacted fine, just last week i had the same thing, i got a knock on my door (i live in an Apartment Building and noone really talks to each other so i was concerned lol) the other night at about 11:30 or so and i immediately muted my tv and grabbed my gun, silently walked to the door and looked through my peephole, it was some girl that i had never seen before so i didnt answer, eventually she walked away and i resumed my tv watching.

If she was fine you would've opened the door up

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    I agree with you. Lately if I dont recognize the person at the front door I wont answer. There have been too many break in's going on from people pretending like there selling something. I just play it safe and keep the door locked.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011

Was she cute? Not sure I could have done the same...:laugh:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not over-reacting.
    You didn't point your gun at this man so that's good.
    What you could have done on top of that is shone a bright light in his face to see who it was.
    Since you know your front porch light is not working it could be a good idea to keep a flashlight next to the door or on your person.
    You could have seen that the car was a police car right away too.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I replaced my front door light with one that has a motion sensor. It comes on automatically when someone approaches the door. They are cheap now, but still good looking. It's a piece of cake to replace and you don't need much electrical knowledge. Just be sure to turn off the main power before you attempt it, though. :)

And it saves me fumbling for the right key in January when it gets dark at 4 PM.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Only thing I would have done differently is asked the person on the other side of the door to identify himself first. I don't necessarily think it would be an honest answer, but you can get a feel for the type of encounter it's gonna be by the WAY a person answers.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thats funny, i have to replace my front and back light fixtures tmorow after my shooting session in the morning, cause they blow bulbs all the time also. the wife gets nervous when ium not home and she cant see outside. as far as your reaction, im peretty sure most of us would have done it the same way. ther has been instances i have had the same thing happen to me . Late night knock of unexpectedness. i grab my pistoil and do the same thing. Kudos for being diligent but not foolish. +1.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Sounds like it was well handled, all things considered. I would definitely look into fixing whatever the issue with the front light is though, and maybe putting in the motion sensor one like was mentioned above.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I had a strange knock on the door this morning too. A very pretty neighbor woman brought me roses. I was a bit shocked. I didn't really recognize her all dressed up from a wedding. Her sister did the flowers and had tons of them left over.

Top Bottom