• Status
    Not open for further replies.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I applied for my FFL and had the interview today. The ATF has been awesome during this process. The agent that came today covered everything and answered every question I had. And I had quite a few. She told me at the end I was good to go and should have my FFL in 30 days max. Kind of feel like I accomplished something today lol.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    what all is involved in getting a ffl and maintaining it? do you have to have a business or store? how long do they last? whats the differences in the types?

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I thought you had to have a store front, or some similar set up. I'd like the info on how to go about this process. I'd like to start a home based business.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Basically, to get an FFL you have to be in it for business, not for individual benefit. The primary way the ATF confirms this, and the biggest sticking point for most people who are interested in their license is zoning. The ATF will call your town or county to verify that you can run a retail business out of your home. You can CERTAINLY have an FFL out of your house (colloquially, kitchen-table dealers), but your house has to be zoned for commercial activity. If it has a residential zoning, you will have to get a variance from your town or county, if you are unincorporated. Depending on the town and the population density of your neighborhood (to get a zoning or use variance you usually have to notify all of your neighbors within a certain radius, who can come to the zoning hearing and b**** about you running guns out of your house.

If you can get zoning taken care of, either by getting a variance, leasing commercial space or moving to somewhere in the sticks that doesn't have zoning, you can get an FFL. It's pretty simple, actually, once you get past zoning.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    There are other smart things to do if you are going to have an FFL business, like incorporating and you may have to have business licenses from your town/county, but incorporation is not necessary to have an FFL.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Basically, to get an FFL you have to be in it for business, not for individual benefit. The primary way the ATF confirms this, and the biggest sticking point for most people who are interested in their license is zoning. The ATF will call your town or county to verify that you can run a retail business out of your home. You can CERTAINLY have an FFL out of your house (colloquially, kitchen-table dealers), but your house has to be zoned for commercial activity. If it has a residential zoning, you will have to get a variance from your town or county, if you are unincorporated. Depending on the town and the population density of your neighborhood (to get a zoning or use variance you usually have to notify all of your neighbors within a certain radius, who can come to the zoning hearing and b**** about you running guns out of your house.

If you can get zoning taken care of, either by getting a variance, leasing commercial space or moving to somewhere in the sticks that doesn't have zoning, you can get an FFL. It's pretty simple, actually, once you get past zoning.

He nailed it. Zoning is what kills 99% of home based FFL dealers. I am lucky/smart enough to live where zoning wasn't an issue. The process has taken about 45 days to this point. The LLC thing is always an option but I did find out some of the bigger shops around Indy are sole proprietor. Finding a distributor that will work with a home based dealer isn't real easy either. We are building a new house and are going to put up a shop with an indoor 3 lane range and meeting room. My wife is a certified firearms instructor so we will be doing that part also.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I thought you had to have a store front, or some similar set up. I'd like the info on how to go about this process. I'd like to start a home based business.

I don't know the law regarding FFLs, but I do personally know an FFL who lives in IL (co-worker for 25 years) and he does not have a store.

450BMFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2013
    Scottsburg
    my understanding is that you do not have to have a physical store front but have zoning for a retail location. I am on right track here?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom