• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    So, looking at used guns at a local shop, I came across a s&w 627 PC w/ what looked like a 5" barrel.I
    It had the smoothest trigger (not hyperbole!) on any revolver that I've ever felt. Admittedly, I've only felt the triggers on 50 or 60 revolvers, but that's a decent sample pool.
    The hammer had been bobbed.

Anyways, to any owners/admirers out there --- just how sweet is a full-size, 8-shot, 357 revolver that can run moonclips?

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't purchase it... just drooled over it.

Here's a stock photo for your drooling pleasure (the one I saw had rubber grips and a bobbed hammer, but it definitely was the PC version)
    gallery_2371_232_1319296_zpsla2g2ahe.jpg

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Always think of this when I see a big ol' revolver
    [video=youtube;lX0MB7pJtKs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs[/video]

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lot of guys starting to shoot those in USPSA. Had 6 in revolver division this month. Up from the normal 1-3. The 627s are awesome! My dad shoots one. 8 rounds of 357 should be all the gun he needs.

OP if the hammer was bobbed then the gun may have had some action work done. If they lightened the hammer then the pistol might be competition only which means it won't reliably ignite all primers. But would love to see a price for this gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Did you catch the price for that one?

Not the one in the (stock) pic, it had rubber grips and a bobbed hammer. It was $900, not sure if it came with anything extra -- like the wood grips or any moonclips. I'm in Michigan, btw :( . I didn't get a good look down the barrel, but it seemed to lock up tightly and time well. I really was blown away by the trigger in DA

Lot of guys starting to shoot those in USPSA. Had 6 in revolver division this month. Up from the normal 1-3. The 627s are awesome! My dad shoots one. 8 rounds of 357 should be all the gun he needs.

OP if the hammer was bobbed then the gun may have had some action work done. If they lightened the hammer then the pistol might be competition only which means it won't reliably ignite all primers. But would love to see a price for this gun.

The action was insanely smooth and it had been run (lightly??) as a competition gun. Do they sell extended firing pins aftermarket for a 627? I know some folks install those on 625s after action work

It'd be a lot cooler without the Hillary Hole.

Agreed!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    follow up:
    the price seems a bit high for a used gun... but considering the action work, maybe it's in the right ballpark ?? any ideas??
    THe PC version retails new at about $1100, and the Pro version closer to $850-900 -- prices from online shops, probably 5% higher in LGS.

Either way, it's likely not an option for me to purchase at this time :(

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Other then it being as wide as it is tall.

I resemble that remark!

I have a 7-shot .357. That does me just fine.

What *I* want is one of the newish S&W 929 revolvers.

Of note in case anyone comes across this: Don't go shooting super heavy "Ruger-only" loads in these or you're gonna have a bad time, mmkay?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    PC guns are 5" barrel and Pro series is 4" barrel.
    The stock action work on a PC gun is a slightly reduced power rebound spring and a ribbed mainspring. NO polishing or special work is done internally.
    A NEW PC can be found for $1000 or even less if you shop around.
    Action work could hurt or help value depending on what a person was going to do with the gun and who did the work.
    Gun should have 2 sets of grips and a few moonclips.
    If wood grips are missing deduct some from price($50???)
    Extended firing pins are available and it may already have one in it if it was competition gun.
    I would say $900 is a fair price IF it has the wood grips and you want one with a action job.

627's and 929's are fun guns and very versatile. They are the guns of choice in USPSA, ICORE and steel shoots. If you want to shoot a revolver.
    5" 627 would be deer legal and a good home defense gun.

The most annoying thing about the Hillary hole is the people who continually bring it up and make a big deal about it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    PC guns are 5" barrel and Pro series is 4" barrel.
    The stock action work on a PC gun is a slightly reduced power rebound spring and a ribbed mainspring. NO polishing or special work is done internally.
    A NEW PC can be found for $1000 or even less if you shop around.
    Action work could hurt or help value depending on what a person was going to do with the gun and who did the work.
    Gun should have 2 sets of grips and a few moonclips.
    If wood grips are missing deduct some from price($50???)
    Extended firing pins are available and it may already have one in it if it was competition gun.
    I would say $900 is a fair price IF it has the wood grips and you want one with a action job.

627's and 929's are fun guns and very versatile. They are the guns of choice in USPSA, ICORE and steel shoots. If you want to shoot a revolver.
    5" 627 would be deer legal and a good home defense gun.

The most annoying thing about the Hillary hole is the people who continually bring it up and make a big deal about it.

Yeah, good info.
    isn't there an aftermarket "plug" for the Hillary hole, to be installed internally?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yeah, good info.
    isn't there an aftermarket "plug" for the Hillary hole, to be installed internally?

Lock can be disabled and left in the gun or be completely removed.
    Yes there is a gentleman that makes a plug for the hole in the frame.

The gun you were describing had a bobbed hammer and depends on how it was done the lock may already disabled.
    On my competition action jobs I remove all the lock as the hammer is cut down so radically that it can't work anyway.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I bought the SSR and seriously wish I would have just went with the 627 instead.

Toyed with the idea of carrying it and didn't want a cylinder the size of a small planet, but never ended up carrying it much anyway.

Top Bottom