Just how quiet is a suppressed 300 blackout with subsonic ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I am seriously considering going down the suppression road now the hunting restriction has been lifted. Since they have a favorable public opinion, and offer an EMS discount, I'm looking into a Silencerco Omega. My host range would be .223 up to 300 win mag. It's main purpose will be for my 10" AR pistol in 300 blackout. I will be able to reload 200-220grn subsonic rounds easy enough. During firearms I have ear plugs around my neck, but am bad about not wanting to have excess movement to put them in if a nice deer has came in. Will this combo be in "safe hearing levels?" Or would I need to still be more diligent with hearing protection?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have an 8" Blackout built that I run a Gemtech Multimount on. IMHO, it is hearing safe with subsonic rounds. If I were shooting an an enclosed range I would still wear hearing protection, but I don't know for sure if it would be necessary. Hope that helps.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I recently got my AAC 762-AAC which I got mainly for use on my 300 BLK rifle. In shooting it with some factory-loaded subsonic rounds I can tell you it's darned quiet! No ear protection needed. What you hear is the bolt cycling and a "thwack" as the bullet hits the target downrange. Using supersonic rounds is not really a lot louder although you do get a crack, it's nothing like firing without the suppressor. I'll say that I never heard a supersonic crack until firing with the suppressor since the muzzle bang overpowers it.

I predict you'll like the suppressed 300 BLK!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I know I cant wait to get my stamp back as I have started to get parts gathered for my 8" 300blk SBR. Ever since I shot a buddies with subsonic rounds I was hooked! Super quite and all you really here is the bolt moving and the steel target getting smacked, to much fun..

glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    with a 16" barrel i had a hard time keeping 200gr sub but the 220 stayed quiet with my yhm qd .308 can but thinking of building a ar pistol with a 8" myself and stock up on 220gr subs.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    At 8" barrel length, there is still some "noise" but it is hearing safe, but like mentioned above, if in an enclosed range, you probably still want ear pro. As the barrel length goes up the sound goes down, and quickly. If you're going to rock a 16-18" barrel it's VERY quiet. Almost .22 quiet in my opinion.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    I am seriously considering going down the suppression road now the hunting restriction has been lifted. Since they have a favorable public opinion, and offer an EMS discount, I'm looking into a Silencerco Omega. My host range would be .223 up to 300 win mag. It's main purpose will be for my 10" AR pistol in 300 blackout. I will be able to reload 200-220grn subsonic rounds easy enough. During firearms I have ear plugs around my neck, but am bad about not wanting to have excess movement to put them in if a nice deer has came in. Will this combo be in "safe hearing levels?" Or would I need to still be more diligent with hearing protection?

I'm running a 10.5" 300 blackout build with a Saker 762 suppressor. I've found even the 187gr subsonic rounds from Gemtech are hearing safe. I really love the flexibility of the Saker as well. It's rated to .300 Ultra Mag, and is also full auto rated. I also like the ability to swap mounts and front caps. I do still use electronic ear pro but I tried a few mags taking the ear pro off and it was comfortable to shoot. You shouldn't have any trouble with it, and with the Saker you'd be able to change the front cap and get a quieter 556 suppressor.

mkzsp1.jpg

2lxcpwx.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It'll be louder, but if I were to hunt deer with a .300, I'd go for a lighter, faster bullet that will expand. With most jacketed 200-230 gr bullets you'll get little to no expansion at 1000 fps. A pointy .30 cal bullet is not the best killer. Some of the 150's and most 125's will expand at .300 bill velocity. My 8.5" SBR is loud with 125's but for only a shot or two, it's bearable, especially out in the woods.

Top Bottom