• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Used the search on here and just want to make sure Ive got it straight before a trip. Ill be heading to Lima Ohio for the 4Wheel Jamboree in 2 weeks. Ill be commuting there and back the first day, then have a hotel in Lima for the second night.

What ive concluded:
    To transport it I need to unload the handgun. Need to separate the gun, magazine, and ammunition (unload ammo from mag, store separate).

I can open carry legally if I wish, but only outside the vehicle.

I DO have to inform if pulled over

Questions:
    When transporting, do I need to put a lock through the gun or lock the box its in?

Can I keep the unloaded mags in the box with the gun?

Where should ammo be kept?

Ill be in a Jeep Cherokee, so trunk isnt an option. Should I just store it as far back as possible? I was thinking of stuffing it in the box between the spare tire which is mounted in the back up against the left side.

Am I ok to have it loaded and next to the bed in the hotel?

Thanks for the assistance!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Used the search on here and just want to make sure Ive got it straight before a trip. Ill be heading to Lima Ohio for the 4Wheel Jamboree in 2 weeks. Ill be commuting there and back the first day, then have a hotel in Lima for the second night.

What ive concluded:
    To transport it I need to unload the handgun. Need to separate the gun, magazine, and ammunition (unload ammo from mag, store separate).

Correct

I can open carry legally if I wish, but only outside the vehicle.

Correct

I DO have to inform if pulled over

Unless you want to be Harless' next victim...

Questions:
    When transporting, do I need to put a lock through the gun or lock the box its in?

Not to my knowledge, even the federal transportation act doesn't make you lock it.

Can I keep the unloaded mags in the box with the gun?

Yes, unloaded mags are just metal and springs but in Ohio if they have a cartridge in them they magically turn into evil machines capable of mowing down schoolyards full of children all on their own.

Where should ammo be kept?

Separate from the encased gun (not in the case)

Ill be in a Jeep Cherokee, so trunk isnt an option. Should I just store it as far back as possible? I was thinking of stuffing it in the box between the spare tire which is mounted in the back up against the left side.

That should be fine.

Am I ok to have it loaded and next to the bed in the hotel?

Of course, big brother isn't THAT big yet.

Thanks for the assistance!

Now I have a question... If you are merely transporting an unloaded handgun/shotgun/rifle do you still have to notify in Ohio or is it only if it is loaded?

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Now I have a question... If you are merely transporting an unloaded handgun/shotgun/rifle do you still have to notify in Ohio or is it only if it is loaded?

Also good to know!

And the hotel question is more of a "should for some reason a LEO end up in the room, will it be something im gonna have legal issue over". Also, should I need to use it am I gonna need to expect it was used illegally just because it was there and shouldnt have been by law

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Also good to know!

And the hotel question is more of a "should for some reason a LEO end up in the room, will it be something im gonna have legal issue over". Also, should I need to use it am I gonna need to expect it was used illegally just because it was there and shouldnt have been by law

Just keep your mouth shut until your lawyer gets there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also good to know!

Hotel is considered your "home". No worries about a loaded gun in there.

You'll probably need it in Lima, too. Word is from many inlaws of mine that it's a real crap hole town - had gotten a lot worse in the last few years. (One of my wife's cousins' kids (2nd cousin?) shot at a home-invader one night...missed)

One other note: Nothing over 30rd capacity in Ohio.

-J-

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Hotel is considered your "home". No worries about a loaded gun in there.

You'll probably need it in Lima, too. Word is from many inlaws of mine that it's a real crap hole town - had gotten a lot worse in the last few years. (One of my wife's cousins' kids (2nd cousin?) shot at a home-invader one night...missed)

One other note: Nothing over 30rd capacity in Ohio.

-J-

Ya, ive been there several times for this event and its not the best place. never stayed over night. Not staying in the best area, but its close to the event and price is right lol. Plus there will be a bunch of good ol boys around....not sure if thatll be a good thing or bad haha

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I felt it was not too much worse than some towns. I went to Unoh there for nearly three years. I also worked on north west street (I believe it was) at performance by fisher. But you would be at the fairgrounds close to walmart. I never went to it as I was out of town usually but would be sweet post up some pics if you take any.

Top Bottom