• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Noticed you have 32 or 45 grain in the most abundant factory loads. Anyone really compared to see if one stands out. I just picked one box 32 hornady just try rifle out but looking at the two side by side was quite a difference once you get out 300 plus on the drop. Gun is really for the wife to shoot while we are out back on the range so she will be shooting 500 plus off bench and the occasional fox or coyote that's messing with her ducks or chickens. Oh rifle is bull barreled one with 25.5" barrel so rounds maybe even little faster than than spec with the little longer barrel so should make it even more of a flat shooter. So any 204 shooters out there have ammo advice

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm no expert but I just got a CZ American in .204 last weekend. I chose the 32gr to sight in because I'm just going to do some plinking and coyote/varmint hunting (walking varminter fit the bill).

I thought the 32gr would be a little light but being so fast it whacks pretty damn good. On Saturday I set up targets at 50yds, 100yds, 200yds, 300yds and 400yds. Also set out a cast iron calf watering bowl at 300 to see if I could ping it.

I'll tell you what. I had read the ballistics on the bullet and was still shocked because it was almost dead on at 300yds. I fired a couple at the watering bowl and was sort of perturbed that I thought I missed twice. Thing was just set up on it's side and teetering. I was trying to knock it over.

When we went out to check targets and clean up I looked at the bowl and had two hole right through it 1 inch apart. That bowl is not thin cast iron. I was shocked at that distance it blasted through without moving the bowl. That's a hot little round.

Very little recoil but one hell of a BANG when it goes off. Super fun. I have no doubt a coyote with the 32gr would be toast out a long way.

Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I figured the 32 was a real smoker but I am wondering how much more it is affected by crosswinds than the 45. Been looking on the net for some wind drift info on these rounds not finding a lot yet. Don't have optics on it yet had a Nikon at home for it but no rings so got to get some they didn't have any I liked there today but anyway took it out on back porch and fired a round down into our creek and I was surprised by how loud this sucker is

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I have a 527 American in 204 the shoots 32gr vmax pretty well in front of a stiff load of Benchmark powder. Be careful on shot placement with the 32's the jacket is pretty thin and a poor placed shoulder hit on a coyote may rapidly expand before it can penetrate. Accuracy wise I have had the best luck with 35gr Berger HP's with a max load of Varget which drops coyotes instantly. If I'm not mistaken the 527 varmint also has a 1 in 12 twist barrel on it so there is a decent chance it won't be fast enough to stabilize the longer 45gr bullets. If you want to shoot a bigger bullet check out the 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    CZ

One of my wife's p dog rifles is a CZ 527 varmint in .204. It's very accurate and has very little recoil. The gun shoots 32 VMax and 39 Blitz Kings very well but doesn't like the 40 VMax at all. Matter of fact, every .204 I know of shoots 39 BKs as good as anything. Never tried anything heavier than the 40s.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I figured the 32 was a real smoker but I am wondering how much more it is affected by crosswinds than the 45. Been looking on the net for some wind drift info on these rounds not finding a lot yet. Don't have optics on it yet had a Nikon at home for it but no rings so got to get some they didn't have any I liked there today but anyway took it out on back porch and fired a round down into our creek and I was surprised by how loud this sucker is

It was very breezy Sat and I was worried about drift as well. We shot with the wind off the left almost 90deg. the 204 didn't seem to move much at all, I suspect because the round is so damn fast but also because down range there were some wind blocks that could have affected it as well.

Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Good info thanks. Just got back from my normal gun shop got my rings so will be mounting the Nikon on her today also stocked up on ammo went with the fiocch 32 grain v-max 33 bucks a 50 so didn't think that was bad at all so hopefully later today or tomorrow get her on the bench and see how she does.

Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Yep rings fit scope on didn't have a lot time yesterday to really play with it just took down to our range and sighted it in at two hundred. Ran fifteen rounds down it was very impressed with shoot groups this thing was holding after scope was dialed in. I had to run into the feed mill pick up some feed that was ready and I guess while I was gone the wife took it out and tried it out she loves it. She put three on paper at two hundred that a quarter would touch all three then she did coke cans at four hundred yards she said she had seven shots to hit five cans so I don't think I'll be getting it away from her

Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Back to the whole rings again why is it cz did that like ruger where you have to get there rings I mean yes I understand to make money but come on they made there money on the rifle. I would rather it just be drilled and tapped like most others. I take from the other posts some rifles come with them again why some and not others.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm no big fan of the CZ rings on my rifles, 452s, 455 and a 527 Varmint/Tactical, but other companies do make rings that will fit the CZ. I have a couple sets of Tally and Millet rings that work well. Oh btw....

:postpics:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Noticed you have 32 or 45 grain in the most abundant factory loads. Anyone really compared to see if one stands out. I just picked one box 32 hornady just try rifle out but looking at the two side by side was quite a difference once you get out 300 plus on the drop. Gun is really for the wife to shoot while we are out back on the range so she will be shooting 500 plus off bench and the occasional fox or coyote that's messing with her ducks or chickens. Oh rifle is bull barreled one with 25.5" barrel so rounds maybe even little faster than than spec with the little longer barrel so should make it even more of a flat shooter. So any 204 shooters out there have ammo advice

I'm no expert, but I never really found much difference in performance between the 32 and 40 grain in my Rem700. I did find that Fiocchi makes a good plinking and close hunting round for a much lower cost.

TBone3006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    My CZ loves the 45 grainers but it shoots the 32 blitzkings very well. The 45 grainers wont explode on a shoulder like the 32 and 40 tend to (they are made for shooting ground squirrels,45 are made a little tougher) As long as you pay attention to bullet placement they will all do very well on a coyote.

Top Bottom