Just returned from Tennessee and I truely love Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    My wife and I just returned from a trip to Gatlinburg and Nashville and I never really realized how much I like the gun laws in Indiana.

Since signs carry the weight of law in Tennessee, you find yourself having to decide between breaking the law, not going where you want to, or practically not carrying at all. Gatlinburg is a walking town so it is not like you can leave it in the car when you come upon a place that is posted.

While in Gatlinburg, I carried the whole time but found myself in a few locations where there were signs posted. The convention center had a gunbuster sign which may or may not be binding depending on who you ask. Non the less, it made me slightly apprehensive compared to Indiana where you know that you may just be asked to leave.

Again when we decided to try a sample at some of the moonshine stores, I was probably breaking the law. These are tiny little sips of whiskey that in no way affected me, but technically you cannot consume alcohol in Tennessee while armed.

Lastly we decided to go to the Opreyland hotel on the way back and they had the official statute posted at the doors so I respected that and left it in the car.

It just really made me start thinking as to what a pain in the arse it must be to live in one of the states that recognize signs.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    But why would you need to carry at all those places? It's not like anyone would ever rob or attack a tourist.

But seriously, I understand the frustration. You never know when trouble might rear it's ugly head, and taking a gun on and off all day is much more dangerous than just leaving it on. I wish anti-gunners could understand this.

BTW, did you stop in at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks while you were down there? That place is awesome.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Which is why, when those surveys are published listing the freest gun rights states, why Indiana isn't listed among the top 5 amazes me. Yeah, we don't have constitutional carry nor can we OC without a license/permit like some states but we can carry in a lot more places compared to many states.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I feel like I am beating a dead horse when I keep saying that criminals don't read signs. All they do is disarm the good guys.

Yes, we stopped in to the Knifeworks on the way in. Lots of cool stuff!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    In before somebody climbs your frame for "admitting breaking da law" on a public website.

Laws that oppress natural rights are bad laws. Across the board.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    When I went to Pigeon Forge I cannot recall seeing any of those signs. Trust me I was looking.

Didn't see any there either and I only saw a couple in Gatlinburg. Pigeon Forge is more of a drive to your destination town unless you are at one of the outlet malls. Still a pain, but you car is probably close by.

I just wish all states would honor all other permits and either not honor signs or make it law that free storage at the entrance be provided like riverboats in Indiana. That way the burden is on them to go through the hassle of disarming me. Obviously I would prefer to not honor signs.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Delete this post and consult an attorney.

futuramafry.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We just returned from there a few weeks ago as well. I was also on the lookout for signs. So much for relaxing.... Honestly didn't see much at all. Just the Dixie Stampede. Which is rather ironic, considering the subject.

Hard to be law-abiding these days.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My family is from TN and I grew up there. EVERYONE carries a gun from our area. It's basically "common law". Get into the cities and it's a different situation entirely. Obey the laws until they're changed.
    As stated above the laws burden the law abiding while the dirty birds stay dirty.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've only noticed the signs at Ober Gatlinburg, Smokey Mtn brewery, and some junk shop run by some type of middle easterners. I always leave it in the car at the brewery, and they do have a posted sign, but I'm thinking it refers to the old state law about possession in a bar, which was changed a few years ago. We usually drive up to Ober Gatlinburg, so not much of a problem there, once again leaving it in the car. I don't frequent the junk shops.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    You've got 2 of the 3 down for one of the alphabet agencies, you didn't smoke while there did you? :tinfoil:

That's funny because I don't smoke but I did go into several cigar shops there. I got hoodwinked into taking part in a play of sorts soon. All I have to do is sit and smoke a cigar for 2 hours but not being a smoker, I have no idea what kind to get. Something cheap that wont taste horrible.

I planned to ask one of the guys at the store, but felt too stupid to ask....silly I know.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Looks like I was quite incorrect:

(a) (1) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent
    thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by,
    or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business
    entity or government entity.
    (2) The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by
    authority of § 39-17-1351
    (b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or
    both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily
    used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon
    possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average
    person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.
    (2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in
    any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is
    prohibited.Handgunlaw.us 6
    (3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the
    following:
    AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY
    OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
    (B) As used in this section, “language substantially similar to” means the sign contains language
    plainly stating that:
    (i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;
    (ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the
    property or building that is posted; and
    (iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.
    (C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in
    accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including
    all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building
    where weapon possession is prohibited:
    (i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or
    (ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).
    (c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in
    accordance with this section.
    (2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor
    punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).
    (d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that
    a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.
    (e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.
    (f) This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail,
    campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state,
    a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas shall be governed
    by § 39-17-1311. [Acts 1996, ch. 905, § 11; 2000, ch. 929, § 1; 2009, ch. 428, § 4; 2010, ch. 1009, § 3.]

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    They also have a lot of cops that are completely out of control down there. They love to run DUI/license checkpoints and anything else they can dream up. Watch your six.

Top Bottom