Just some research without media bias. A bit long.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    With all of the chaos I had to do some research to put out in the world. I only had to make one stop on one site to do so. I didn't want to use any media outlet or politicians words or "personal findings" in any part of this. Just cold hard facts as reported by all law enforcement straight to the F.B.I. for their totals on murders focusing on weapons. Here we go.

1. Crime rates (main focus murder)
    On this table you can see pre awb ban, through the ban, and post ban. When you start at 1992 you'll see murder rates rising through 93. The ban is signed in 1994 and and steadily drops through 1999. In 2000 we begin to see murder begin to rise until 2003. Murder rates are low again in 2004. The awb is now gone. In 2005 we see murder rise through 2006. When 2007 comes murders begin dropping yet again all the way into 2011 where it hits record lows.

FBI — Table 1

2.Weapons used. (Only table found is from 2007-2011)
    Although this chart gives a view of only a few years you can see that even though firearms are the large percentage of murder the numbers are dropping. The number of rifles used are but a small fraction. How many would be classified as "assault weapons" is unknown but the numbers for rifles are low and dropping even without the awb.

FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

3.NICS numbers (reporting started in November of 1998)
    In this we find info on all background checks in 2011 and an explanation about what NICS does. The checks work and deny many that try to purchase weapons who can not by law. On page 12 you'll see that the number of checks have almost doubled from the numbers of the first full year of 1999. We have hit huge numbers yet all the murder rates are steadily dropping.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/2011-operations-report/operations-report-2011

I know this was a bit long and many if not all of us knew gun ownership has been rising while murders have been falling. I put this together just for a quick reference to all the arguments I'm sure many are experiencing. I also believe these stats completely squash the awb argument. Rifles used in murders on a daily basis is almost nonexistent.

I hope this helps at least somewhat. If you've got any other hard, raw data please share. Again I didn't want information reported by any news agency as I believe they all try to push their personal agenda instead of the truth.

Top Bottom