• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I won an auction today on a Remington 512 bolt action tube fed .22 rifle. I have to say that if I'm not careful I could really start collecting this type of rifle. Very nice. Not a bad price and from what I see I did ok on it. Most other rifles like this aren't any more expensive either. :yesway: Pics will come soon, maybe even a range report as well!

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have always wondered if the tube fed 22s were worth it or not. Something about them has always intrigued me but I just never bought one. Congrats on the prize too!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I think they are real sleepers in the gun world. With all these SHTF guys running around I'm surprised there isn't a bigger following for these. Almost nothing can go wrong with the mechanism because of dirt/fouling and there are no magazines to lose.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have several tube fed .22's including the first gun I ever bought when I was but 12 years old. They come in all sorts too from semiauto, to lever action to bolt guns and pump actions. They are a hoot to shoot too.

Of course I also have a few 10/22's just to keep up with the times... :)

Congrats on the win. :rockwoot:

Maybe someday I can win something too. So far just a bunch of entries and lost time for me. :(

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I have several tube fed .22's including the first gun I ever bought when I was but 12 years old. They come in all sorts too from semiauto, to lever action to bolt guns and pump actions. They are a hoot to shoot too.

Of course I also have a few 10/22's just to keep up with the times... :)

Congrats on the win. :rockwoot:

Maybe someday I can win something too. So far just a bunch of entries and lost time for me. :(

Well you see I thought I was going to get the gun relatively cheap but when I was sitting at home and my lot came up for bid online and at Christy's, people went crazy for it. I was determined that the gun was going to be mine though. :D

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I have a Marlin model 60 that I got from my Fiances grandfather.

He told me he only cleaned it three times in his 30 or so years of ownership. Works like a charm, only one FTE in the 1000 rounds i've personally put through it. They don't make em like they used to.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    At 12 years old, I had no idea I needed to clean my gun so I didn't for about 10 years until I realized it had never been cleaned. I put many thousands of rounds through it as I walked our woods. Sometime I would play soldier and the cans I had set up all over were the invaders and sometimes I would shoot bunnies and squirrels to eat also blackbirds as the local farmers would give me a nickel for everyone I killed. That was how I was able to buy ammo most of the time too, black bird bounty hunter was how I used to think of myself. :): Anyway, here it is, still mine, never to be sold. My first firearm I ever owned myself...

main.php
    Mossberg mdl 402, "Palomino" chambered for (as stated on receiver) 22 - Short - 22-22LR

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    At 12 years old, I had no idea I needed to clean my gun so I didn't for about 10 years until I realized it had never been cleaned. I put many thousands of rounds through it as I walked our woods. Sometime I would play soldier and the cans I had set up all over were the invaders and sometimes I would shoot bunnies and squirrels to eat also blackbirds as the local farmers would give me a nickel for everyone I killed. That was how I was able to buy ammo most of the time too, black bird bounty hunter was how I used to think of myself. :): Anyway, here it is, still mine, never to be sold. My first firearm I ever owned myself...

main.php
    Mossberg mdl 402, "Palomino" chambered for (as stated on receiver) 22 - Short - 22-22LR

Very nice. :yesway:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Yes, it's an addiction. I'm in the throws of it myself. After I lost the mag to a cheap russian import bolt gun I'd bought , I decided tube fed is the only way for me on the small bore hunting guns. So far it's led me to a Marlin 783 .22mag - because I wanted a Magnum, a Westernfield Model 842 - because I needed a .22lr to go with that Magnum and a Marlin 981 - because the Westernfield was a beater and I "Needed" a nicer rifle.

Barely missed out on an older'ish XT22 with tube magazine, I him-hawed around too long on the $199 price tag (stupid of me), it was new-old stock, priced the same as a new removable magazine XT22 that it was sitting right beside.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Yes, it's an addiction. I'm in the throws of it myself. After I lost the mag to a cheap russian import bolt gun I'd bought , I decided tube fed is the only way for me on the small bore hunting guns. So far it's led me to a Marlin 783 .22mag - because I wanted a Magnum, a Westernfield Model 842 - because I needed a .22lr to go with that Magnum and a Marlin 981 - because the Westernfield was a beater and I "Needed" a nicer rifle.

Barely missed out on an older'ish XT22 with tube magazine, I him-hawed around too long on the $199 price tag (stupid of me), it was new-old stock, priced the same as a new removable magazine XT22 that it was sitting right beside.

I'm going to get it picked up tomorrow hopefully so I'll post pics then. But in the meantime could you post some pics of yours? :D I just love those hardware store brand guns. They are nearly the same as a higher price version just without as nice of wood on it and are significantly cheaper too.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    Welcome to the club. Nice rifle there, and iirc you can get the same style rifle in single shot, and removable box magazine (should be the 510 and 511, if memory serves)

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Welcome to the club. Nice rifle there, and iirc you can get the same style rifle in single shot, and removable box magazine (should be the 510 and 511, if memory serves)

The single shot is what made me want the 512 so bad. Everything was so smooth about it, and it's simplicity was beautiful. Although flicking the safety off each time you wanted to shoot was kinda annoying I'm glad it was there.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    The single shot is what made me want the 512 so bad. Everything was so smooth about it, and it's simplicity was beautiful. Although flicking the safety off each time you wanted to shoot was kinda annoying I'm glad it was there.

I habitually go on safe between rifle shots, just how I was taught. I've got a Remington 34 that was my first adult gun (had a couple of youth models prior to that) and I can't even start to fathom how many rounds I've shot through that thing...if you get the hankering for something with iron sights, I'd suggest looking a 34 over real well to see if it fits ya.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I habitually go on safe between rifle shots, just how I was taught. I've got a Remington 34 that was my first adult gun (had a couple of youth models prior to that) and I can't even start to fathom how many rounds I've shot through that thing...if you get the hankering for something with iron sights, I'd suggest looking a 34 over real well to see if it fits ya.

I like the way the 34 stocks look. I haven't been able to find one yet to mess with. For some reason the bolt action tube fed .22 style rifle is nearly impossible to find. I've looked for nearly a year before I found the 512 online.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I won an auction today on a Remington 512 bolt action tube fed .22 rifle. I have to say that if I'm not careful I could really start collecting this type of rifle. Very nice. Not a bad price and from what I see I did ok on it. Most other rifles like this aren't any more expensive either. :yesway: Pics will come soon, maybe even a range report as well!
    If you'd like to know when your rifle was made this might help.
    Remington Dates of Manufacture

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I like the way the 34 stocks look. I haven't been able to find one yet to mess with. For some reason the bolt action tube fed .22 style rifle is nearly impossible to find. I've looked for nearly a year before I found the 512 online.

I had this problem as well, it was a year between finding my Magnum and finding the Westernfield - although subtext all this with "finding what I"m looking for at a price I'd pay". I passed a couple old Winchesters and a Remington or two that were priced at Old Winchester and Old Remington prices.

Speaking of that Westernfield-
    1255184_669591463059772_1827497333_n.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures, only have my cell to work with. Beat up, bought it with a broken stock, rusted some, rear sight weld is broken but it's more accurate than me and plenty enough for Squirrels. Eats Shorts Long or Long Rifles, though I've only fed it some Golden Bullets and a couple Mini-Mags so far.

And the Marin 981 I just HAD to have:
    1069363_669588973060021_630419076_n.jpg

Only eats .22LR but man this thing is CLEAN. Really glad I bought the Westernfield first, I almost don't want to take this one to the woods.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My first rifle was a Marlin tube fed bolt action 22, still love shooting it! Popped a groundhog with it the other day, plus my wife and kids enjoy shooting it with shorts. It's like having a suppressor without lol.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I had this problem as well, it was a year between finding my Magnum and finding the Westernfield - although subtext all this with "finding what I"m looking for at a price I'd pay". I passed a couple old Winchesters and a Remington or two that were priced at Old Winchester and Old Remington prices.

Speaking of that Westernfield-
    1255184_669591463059772_1827497333_n.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures, only have my cell to work with. Beat up, bought it with a broken stock, rusted some, rear sight weld is broken but it's more accurate than me and plenty enough for Squirrels. Eats Shorts Long or Long Rifles, though I've only fed it some Golden Bullets and a couple Mini-Mags so far.

And the Marin 981 I just HAD to have:
    1069363_669588973060021_630419076_n.jpg

Only eats .22LR but man this thing is CLEAN. Really glad I bought the Westernfield first, I almost don't want to take this one to the woods.

That Westernfield looks great! Same with the Marlin! If you don't mind what did you pay? I paid $170 not including auction fees and sales tax.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Thanks :D. I paid ~$135 for the Westernfield at a Muncie show and $250 for the Marlin off the boards here. I've got almost $200 in the WF as it sits - added the sling, studs and gunsmith procurement and installation. Marlin came with the 3-9x40 TASCO scope on it.

$170 for a nice Remington is a dang good in my book!

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I have a Remington 511 Scoremaster. Mine is the 6 round magazine version. It is my favorite rifle. I have a really nice Ruger 77/22, but it seems like anytime i need to grab a .22 and head to the woods, i just always grab the old remington. its a tack driver.

Top Bottom