• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Yet everyone is against training requirements for handgun ownership. :cool:

Just because someone is trained doesn't mean that they will utilize their training. I'm 100% for training but you can't fix stupid, even with training.

My suggestion, if you don't want to call the police, is to avoid him. He's your neighbor, you are not required to interact with him and if he didn't want to take responsibility for his actions he is dangerous and IMHO should be avoided. He didn't admit his mistake he justified it with another stupid comment. As I said, someone to be avoided until he is ready accept how dangerous his actions were.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member~~ [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yeah. Hopefully he doesn't hurt someone else! Im very cautious who I hunt with. I went rabbit hunting with a guy once when I was around 17. One guy loaded a shell then proceeds to muzzle me going through a fence. All I said was to watch it. He then got aggravated about it. I told him he was lucky I corrected him and not my dad! He has 2 masters and is a principal. Scary that he's teaching kids!

those last sentences make me chuckle.

Here's my take on the OP: Not knowing the full background between the OP and his neighbor I'm going to assume they don't get along but the neighbor is aware of the OP's interest in guns. The neighbor bought a pistol and was wanting to show it to the OP. I can understand reacting that way to getting swept. I'm not a big fan of getting swept, either. I think a slightly better approach would have been to say "Hey, nice Glock! But in the future please don't point it at me, it's bad form" or something similar and explain why. If the neighbor and his buddy take off from there getting all offended call it a day and walk away. Not a good experience but why not make it a subtle lesson for the neighbor?

Just saying.
    You catch more flies with honey, for sure. This was a perfect opportunity to educate and instruct. I don't hold the OP responsible for that, but the opportunity was there. It's questionable if the neighbor is going to take the exchange to heart, but guaranteed he wouldn't be receptive to anything recovering from some sort of physical altercation.

I had a similar situation years ago at Atterbury before the monitored cease-fire periods. We had a mutual cease-fire to go down range, and on the way back to the bench I saw some guy coonfingering his rifle. I asked him not to touch the rifle or anything on the bench until we went hot again for safety purposes. He got a little snippy and gave me the "It's not loaded" line. I just smiled and said "Sure, but people make mistakes. And it's one of the rules of the range. Your firearm might be unloaded, but if someone else who isn't as safe sees you handling your firearm, he thinks he can handle his. That wouldn't be good, would it?" He was quick to apologize. I firmly believe that if I had been nasty or brusque, he would have been less open to hearing the message because he was taking offense at the delivery.

Yet everyone is against mandatory training requirements for handgun ownership. :cool:
    FIFY

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Why not see if you can make the best out of this situation? How about inviting him to go with you to a gun safety class. Even if he's an AH, I wouldn't wish a terrible accident on him or someone around him.

In my experience people who behave this way do so to mask their own ignorance. Same as not asking for directions but with much larger stakes. Hey, he might turn out to be a good guy once you get past the mask.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Yet everyone is against training requirements for handgun ownership. :cool:

I believe you are incorrect on that assumption. What I'm against is GOVERNMENT MANDATED requirements for the exercise of a constitutionally protected right. If the 2A said:

"Since the safe handling of arms is of utmost priority, no person shall be permitted to keep or bear arms unless they have completed a prescribed training course."

Then I'd agree with you. But can you imagine what Obama and his cronies would do with a 2A like that??

We don't need more government regulation. We need more people to be responsible for themselves and their own actions.

[Soapbox Mode OFF]

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    He pulls a glock out of his holster to show me holding it sideways with it pointed at my gut. I push the muzzle to the right of me and say, "please don't muzzle me." He goes to immediate anger,"IT'S OK, there is not one in the chamber."
    Yep. Happens more often than I'd like too, for sure.
    I'm just thankful of the resources I have who have taught me how to physically deal with this problem if/when encountered.

• Your gun is now my gun
    • Your ammo is now my ammo
    • My ammo is tossed in the "ammo from unloaded guns" jar
    • I verbalize my displeasure
    • You are handed back the empty gun followed by more admonition & lecture.
    • Deal with it.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    With any luck, even though he protested your remarks to save face, he realizes that was a dangerous thing to do and learns from it.

It could happen...
    Exactly. It isn't always wise to make someone look like a fool in front of a friend as it gets a negative and sometimes violent reaction. Not usually the kind of reactions you want with a gun in the hand of the one acting foolish. However, that feeling will likely stay with him and he could very well remember it if only to avoid looking the fool again for the same thing later.

Oldsmolet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know this guy and there's no teaching him. I can see some of your points about be nice and teaching experience. I did ask him to please not point it at me. He went into instant anger defensive. For the situation and it actually being loaded. I feel I was pretty calm. Handled it how I handled it and done deal now.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I know this guy and there's no teaching him. I can see some of your points about be nice and teaching experience. I did ask him to please not point it at me. He went into instant anger defensive. For the situation and it actually being loaded. I feel I was pretty calm. Handled it how I handled it and done deal now.

Agreed what's done is done. But as a responsible citizen, neighbor, human being, whatever, I think preventing it from happening again to you or anyone else is important. Of course you are right, some people refuse to learn.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Please don't confuse me with an Attorney.... but check out Indiana Code on Pointing and/or Brandishing (waving/showing/exposing) a Firearm. Pretty heavy duty stuff....taken very seriously. Definately Felony material, at least here in Indiana.

OK, that's what confused me about your post: You said the OP committed the felony. The OP was the one who had the gun pointed at him. From what's posted here, the neighbor committed the felony, not the OP.

All I saw the OP say he did was touch the gun that was pointed at him and move it off to one side so he was no longer in front of the loaded round. :scratch:

Thanks for clarifying!

Blessings,
    Bill

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Of course he did. You just made him look like a fool in front of his friend. That's what blowhards with inferiority complexes do when their facade of superiority is destroyed. You handled it just fine. However, if you're going to get your panties in a wad because people are critiquing the way you handled it, don't post about it.

Oldsmolet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Bloomington
    Of course he did. You just made him look like a fool in front of his friend. That's what blowhards with inferiority complexes do when their facade of superiority is destroyed. You handled it just fine. However, if you're going to get your panties in a wad because people are critiquing the way you handled it, don't post about it.

Where does it look like my panties are getting in a wad? I think everyone is just talking. Thanks for your input though. :rockwoot:

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have the NRA Rules for Firearm Safety printed on the back of my business card (I am a FFL & own/operate a shooting sports business). All my customers and potential customers receive my card with the safety rules to be read. Safe firearm handling is critical for all. You did the best thing by withdrawing and removing yourself from the situation. One day he will touch a round off accidentally. I hope no one gets injured. I would not recommend pursuing a complaint unless the situation deteriorates further. Filing a complaint could create a very difficult situation for you and your family with the neighbor. Avoiding further contact with him is the place to start.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    there is no point in getting into it with him, walk away, politely ask him to never return to your house with a gun. You could tell him it is illegal to do what he just did and the next time a report could be filed.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I think you did the best you could with a crappy situation. No one would welcome what he did. You should at least give him the safe handling of firearms rules, at least for your family's sake. I wouldn't want a neighbor that I knowingly mishandles firearms. Maybe try to discuss it with him after a "cooling off" period?

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    Probably handled that as well as possible. I'd ignore him and never speak to him again. I freak out when people point guns at me, can't help it. Once a drunk buddy pointed a 12 gauge at me at a party, saying it wasn't loaded. I grabbed the gun and pushed him down the stairs. Everybody thought I was a dick. Then I ejected a live round. Then he said the same thing,"My finger wasn't on the trigger."

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Please don't confuse me with an Attorney.... but check out Indiana Code on Pointing and/or Brandishing (waving/showing/exposing) a Firearm. Pretty heavy duty stuff....taken very seriously. Definately Felony material, at least here in Indiana.

OK, that's what confused me about your post: You said the OP committed the felony. The OP was the one who had the gun pointed at him. From what's posted here, the neighbor committed the felony, not the OP.

All I saw the OP say he did was touch the gun that was pointed at him and move it off to one side so he was no longer in front of the loaded round. :scratch:

Thanks for clarifying!

Blessings,
    Bill

Exactly. The neighbor had already committed a felony. However, there were previous posts centered around the possibility of the OP "returning the gesture" , which also would have been a felony. Two Felony's don't make a Right. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom