• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    As far as I know the plated and coated bullets are good with the fast, hot powders. The plain lead bullets melt much quicker. Are you shooting 9mm or 45acp?

All's Ive shot in 9mm in the last 10 yrs has been cast mostly with titegroup, never an issue with leading from melting the back of the bullet. But I dont run max loads either
    The SNS coated bullets that I am getting are for 9mm. 124 gr. I certainly have not seem a problem with the plated Extreem bullets and I have picked up many shot rounds from my "test" area.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Congratulations for jumping in; it's a lot of fun to make something and make it go bang while being safe and repeating it all over again. Im nearly 2 yrs in and still learning. Started with single stage Big Boss II (Redding) and just recently got a Dillon XL 650- love it. Lots of adjustments going to progressive press, but very enjoyable. My resources were the detail guidance given on this forum (see so you want to reload), purchased all the books recommended and actually read them and keep them on my bench for reference. Most of the data manuals (Hornaday 9th, Speer, Sierra) are fun to read about the history of the round, application/purpose, etc. Recently I've been watching some folks on youtube: 76Highboy has a lot of excellent videos and education on working with single and progressive press, reloading pistol and .223 I highly recommend him. There are a few others as well.

Keep reading and asking questions; you'll stay safe and have a lot of fun

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    All's Ive shot in 9mm in the last 10 yrs has been cast mostly with titegroup, never an issue with leading from melting the back of the bullet. But I dont run max loads either

It's the general consensus on many gun forums. Some do, most don't, I didn't make it up and not able to go into details about ingredients but the balance of hot burning stuff, think it's nitro-cellulose, is higher in TG and Clays than other pistol powders.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The SNS coated bullets that I am getting are for 9mm. 124 gr. I certainly have not seem a problem with the plated Extreem bullets and I have picked up many shot rounds from my "test" area.

You won't see ant problems using TG for plated or your coated.

The heat and " melting " debate involves only cast boolits. For every claim you find online saying it burns too hot and can "melt" the base, there will be a claim stating it's a fine powder for cast.I don't have much experience with TG and cast, but I have played with it in 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .38 special / .357 mag. I have never had any issue with leading, but I have always put great effort in matching the hardness with my intended velocity and making sure the size was properly matched to my bore. I did feel it did burn "hotter", and did produce more smoke from the lube, but again, never found any leading or any melting on the recovered boolits.

If someone were to ask what powder to use before they purchased it, I would probably recommend trying a different choice. If they already had TG on hand, I would definitely recommend trying it and see if they liked the results.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Thanks Fullmag and XtremeVel for the input. I am thinking of picking up some CFE if my local place still has some. Working through 2lb of TG right now.
    To the OP, Dwain, When you find primers at a good price, grab them. To me, that is the hard one to catch a deal on.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I'm starting to see certain powders going out of stock on line. Do you guys think this is the starting of a trend?

Just in case:

attachment.php

Today's haul from Bobcat @ the 1500

attachment.php

and from Mcdonalds Guns (As reviewed by Snooploggylog)
    I've been in that shop twice. I mentioned that I was new to reloading and they said that there wasn't anything they couldn't talk me through on the phone.
    Wow! Who does that any more? How awesome are LGSs?

Top Bottom