• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes, the four rules ALWAYS apply, period. But why was an idiot working on a rifle that was not safely unloaded to begin with?

I bet 90% of those "I was working on the gun and it went off somehow" stories are BS.
    Most of the time the guy is just playing with his loaded gun for no reason and then has to come up with an excuse to why he was handling the gun.

They are either cleaning it or "working on it", whatever that means.
    They won't say "I was just sitting watching TV and playing with my gun when it went off when I pulled the trigger".

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    :n00b: Unload it in the parking lot? Do the people that say STUPID things like this have an IQ higher than their shoe size?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This wasn't an accident, it was negligence.
    How do you work at a gun range and you don't even know the basics of gun safety?
    Before you start to service a weapon how is checking for an empty chamber not the very first thing you do?

After talking to a couple range employees, this doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Yes, the four rules ALWAYS apply, period. But why was an idiot working on a rifle that was not safely unloaded to begin with?

I have had to work on firearms that were not safely unloaded...for example live round stuck in a chamber, action seized with live round in chamber, etc. Sometimes working on a loaded gun is inevitable. However, I've never aimed said gun anywhere except a safe direction when doing so.

I think the one word that describes this entire incident is complacency.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have had to work on firearms that were not safely unloaded...for example live round stuck in a chamber, action seized with live round in chamber, etc. Sometimes working on a loaded gun is inevitable. However, I've never aimed said gun anywhere except a safe direction when doing so.

I think the one word that describes this entire incident is complacency.

Indeed. The bolded part has long been considered the golden rule of safe gun handling with loaded/unloaded status only a subordinate consideration.

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. :yesway:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The guy walking into the store must have unbelievably bad luck. Figure the odds of a rifle going off in a parking lot and the bullet striking a passer by in the head.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The guy walking into the store must have unbelievably bad luck. Figure the odds of a rifle going off in a parking lot and the bullet striking a passer by in the head.
    That kind of thing always puzzles me. How is it that people try to hit a target, and miss, but a ND kills someone so often? I guess maybe we don't hear about the NDs that don't cause serious injury or death.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most likely there are magnitudes more NDs happening than we will ever hear about. Nobody cares that you shot the kids playhouse when the kids aren't inside of it.

This. Even the ones that do hurt someone very seldom make the news. There's 80+ in Indianapolis each year that cause injury or death. They almost never get media attention unless a child is involved.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This. Even the ones that do hurt someone very seldom make the news. There's 80+ in Indianapolis each year that cause injury or death. They almost never get media attention unless a child is involved.
    Hmmm... that sounds like another spreadsheet, waiting to happen. ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

With the accumulation of birthdays comes a certain perspective. When its your time, you can't really avoid it. And you probably won't even know when it arrives.

Top Bottom