• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    hello i was going to start reloading and i was wondering if i needed to spend $700.00+ to reload 5.56/.223 and .40S&W and the occasional .45ACP? ive got really no interest in anything else. would it just be cheaper to buy my ammo outright and sell the brass? any info will help. i appreciate it.

Justin

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am really not sure what your question is about? If you are talking about reloading machines and dies, you can get setup for less than $100 for one caliber and add the other calibers for the cost of the dies.

I still have a Lee handpress ($40) that will load anything I want and I use it all the time for resizing rifle brass in front of the TV or on the deck with the family.

If you are talking about reloading components, just buy what you need when you need it.

I am not sure what you are spending $700 on.....

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Unless you think you will enjoy reloading and finding loads that are particularly good in your guns, then just buy the ammo.
    If you want to start off VERY simply, buy the small Lee Reloading Press and Lee's book. They come in a package deal for about $35.
    Buy a set of Lee dies. They comes with the shell holder and a dipper.
    There are some loads for use with the dipper. These are VERY safe, target-type loads and there is no way to pack too much powder into the proper dipper (as supplied with the dies) without working very hard.
    Just buy a pound of the powder and 100 bullets of the type specified for use with the dipper. You can load a lot of rounds with just this equipment. If you don't like loading, you are out much less than $100. If you like loading, you will learn what you want and need to go further along the reloading trail.
    However, no one can tell you if you should reload or not. I go through several thousand rounds a month, so I couldn't afford to buy my own, and I'm not even a major reloading like some competitivve shooters.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Plenty of folks here and at 21st Century Firearms can suggest plenty of options that are not quite so expensive.

Sometimes things are said for lots of reasons. 21st Century is an outstanding shop and I would send my children to them to buy stuff.

I suggest you go back and have a honest discussion to an Non-busy employee or the owner. I think/hope that it was a hasty remark.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For me to start reloading, I spent $289 on a press kit and other items. If you do not want a tumbler, you can get in under $200. That's includes everything to reload 9mm. I know you did not mention 9mm, just trying to give you a base. Powder, primers, and bullets was right around $150, enough to reload 1,000 rounds. If you shop around and buy in bulk, you can get in for less then that. I do not know how much you shoot a year. I figured that I'm saving $4 per 50 rounds of 9mm by reloading. May not seem like a lot, but I fire 2,000 + rounds a year. A set of dies for a different caliber around $30. Then figure powder, primers, and bullets for that caliber.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    I love 21st Century and would send any of my friends or family there to buy anything. they are honest and trustworthy people. i just thought it might have been a little outlandish of a price. i appreciate all the help. i just have no idea what all i need to reload. do i need a tumbler, trimmer, press, or what. sorry im being so needy, ive just got no idea. :dunno: thanks.

Justin

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here is a list of everything I ordered to reload 9mm. Total cost was $289. A decent pair of calipers can be had for around $30.

I ordered everything from www.midwayusa.com
    1. Frankford arsenal impact bullet puller: PN 215517
    2. Frankford aresnal flip top ammo boxes: PN 589482
    3. Frankford arsenal Quick-N-EZ case tumbler: PN 414369
    4. Lee deluxe carbide 4 die set: PN 885350
    5. Lee breach lock quick change bushings (2 sets): PN 971565
    6. Lee challenger breech lock single stage press kit: PN 121744
    7. Lyman 49th edition reloading manual: PN 217655

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I spent about 300 and I am set up for 45lc 9mm and 45 acp. With the quick change heads of course. That is not including components. And also would need other add ons for it to run smooth on a lee pro 1000. I also have a single stage press I use once in a while.

Top Bottom