Ka-Bar TDI or ESEE Izula or other knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm looking for my first TRUE EDC knife. I would like a fixed blade knife in the $50-75 range. It will be carried every day. I work in EMS, so I'm outside A LOT. Something that withstands rust is a priority. It won't be a strictly defensive knife, but it will be used defensively if need be. Any opinions?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Stainless Steel Izula should work just fine, might consider throwing on the micarta grip panels for a more improved gripping surface though. Do not get the non stainless ESEE's as they are 1095 and the non coated edge will rust on you if you do not maintain it since the non stainless models are 1095 high carbon steels.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I briefly had interest in the stainless Izula until I heard about their lack of warranty. No thanks. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Note: Our stainless steel knives are made from 440C. It should be noted that stainless steel is not as flexible as carbon steels. Any excessive flexing of the blade may cause breakage. We do not warranty our stainless steel knives against abuse as we do our carbon steel models.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The original 1095 carbon steel Izula is a fine knife with the ESEE great warranty. Comes in a few different colors too.

Last edited:

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    + 1 For the standard ESEE IZULA. I wear one of mine 24/7/365 and yes, I wear it in the shower and while sleeping. I just give it a little loving and a coating of TUFF GLIDE daily. you can't go wrong with the standard IZULA bought from INGO's own Knife Lady.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    For the price, azula is an outstanding knife. I have a tdi, carried it for a while, but found it wasn't a good user knife, and I USE my knives. Tdi is a good choice for its purpose, last ditch defense knife, defense only knife.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    For what its worth, I've carried a TDI for the last 2+ years. That's outside, rain, shine, sleet, cold, etc. Its not a utility cutter but just as its designed, the last ditch ruin someone else's day more than they have yours.
    I'm happy with it in its role but carry another knife for non-defensive cutting tasks.
    I liked the idea of the non-expensive fixed blade for one job. And for me, its filled that role nicely.
    Hope that helps.
    Stay safe

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm a defensive knife instructor (FWIW) and I'm sold on the TDI. In our classes, we teach that 1) deployment time and 2) weapon retention are the most important factors in defensive knife use. The TDI ranks high in retention with the forward curve and grip characteristics. Of course, you sacrifice reach with the short blade version, but you get a blade that is easily carried and concealed, and deploys quickly. It also seems to retain an edge over time, and lots of carry options are on the secondary market for the TDI (both full blade and short version).

Again, take that FWIW. I simply pass along what I learned from better people than me, so your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom