• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    Hopefully sitting in its sheath in my vest. But if it has to come out, as a tool to cut and pry stuff. Or if I really need it, stabbing people. I'm a Marine Officer Candidate, so it will be used for pretty much anything you could use a knife for.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Are you getting ready for ocs, are you currently a nco in the marines? you may be issued a k-bar, their no good for prying, their weak at the grip joint, not sure about the sog, may want to look at a the gerber fixed blade with solid tang, or a falkineven.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    OCS. half way through. Going back this summer. We don't get knives. They don't trust us with sharp obejcts. I referring to later in life. I have a geber fixed. I've never really put it through any damage though. I'm bad about breaking things. I seem to think becuase I can handle it, my equipment should be able to also

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    087.jpg

A Kabar is deeply ingrained in the Marine tradition, but there are better choices. Just start surfing the knife sites and see what catches your eye.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    OCS. half way through. Going back this summer. We don't get knives. They don't trust us with sharp obejcts. I referring to later in life. I have a geber fixed. I've never really put it through any damage though. I'm bad about breaking things. I seem to think becuase I can handle it, my equipment should be able to also

the gerber lmf would be a good choice for the price, would get the unbreakable laminated falkiniven if i had expendable income.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if you say you have a knack for breaking things forgot ka-bar or sog. if you want something damn near indestructible look at swamp rat or scrapyard knives. I have put mine through hell and many on INGO have witnessed it. hammering into knotted hardwood and prying the tip out, that right there would void most warranties. not to mention shooting mine with no loss of sharpness at the edge. both companies have a rock solid warranty, meaning you break it, chip out the blade, etc. they will fix or replace it. now the bad part, they aren't cheap but by no means overly expensive especially for what you are getting.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    There are other knives on this planet besides Busse that are great knives. ESEE puts out a great knife with a great warranty and they are very affordable. They have a no questions asked replacement warranty with their blades. TOPS is another good affordable knife.
    Benchmade is another knife to look at. :yesway: All of these are USA made too.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I need a good fixed knife. So which is better Kabar or SOG? or am I completely missing the mark?

Completely missing the mark. Both were good in their time, but are not going to handle the abuse a full tanged chopper will.

ESEE makes great knives, and the Bussekin is even better. Grayman builds one hell of a blade too, but are a little pricey as well. The Bark River Bravo's are another neat one to look at.

It all depends on what your looking to spend, but I would definately steer clear of the the 2 manufactures you mentioned if your going to be rough on your knife. :patriot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom