• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Yesterday I was shooting Remington 115gr 9mm FMJ through a Glock 19 and had a bullet lodge in the barrel. Something didn't sound or feel right and the brass case did not eject. The bullet traveled down the barrel maybe 1-1/4" and stuck. This one sounded and felt like it either had no powder in the case or a severe undercharge. This was factory loaded ammo.

There was one other shooter about 50 feet further down the firing line and even he noticed something didn't sound right so came down to assist and ensure I didn't try to shoot again without first checking the barrel. This was the first malfunction of this type I had experienced so I was definitely field stripping this guy before attempting to shoot again. The other shooter had experienced this type of failure before and was pretty insistent about checking the barrel before proceeding.

So my lesson learned is to always be alert for abnormal conditions and stay safe. I am also thankful for the other shooter being concerned about my safety.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good catch. A friend of mine split the barrel on a squib just like that one. His sounded a little funny but ejected the brass.

Even a factory load can malfunction.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Yesterday I was shooting Remington 115gr 9mm FMJ through a Glock 19 and had a bullet lodge in the barrel. Something didn't sound or feel right and the brass case did not eject. The bullet traveled down the barrel maybe 1-1/4" and stuck. This one sounded and felt like it either had no powder in the case or a severe undercharge. This was factory loaded ammo.

There was one other shooter about 50 feet further down the firing line and even he noticed something didn't sound right so came down to assist and ensure I didn't try to shoot again without first checking the barrel. This was the first malfunction of this type I had experienced so I was definitely field stripping this guy before attempting to shoot again. The other shooter had experienced this type of failure before and was pretty insistent about checking the barrel before proceeding.

So my lesson learned is to always be alert for abnormal conditions and stay safe. I am also thankful for the other shooter being concerned about my safety.

Thanks for posting this. I have not encountered this malfunction yet but it opens my eyes a little more to have it explained.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010

Big +1 to that guy. Should have invited him to INGO.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Your next order of business, OP, is to contact Remington and provide them with the lot # of the ammo.

They'll probably want to know how much you have...and will probably send you a shipping label for you to ship all from that lot back to them for analysis.

Even if not, contact Remington anyway.

-J-

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Good job on catching it!!! For sure let umc know about it.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine while he was shooting in popo qualification. He cleared it quickly and kaboomed his sig. Ruined the barrel and laser sight. He sent it to sig for inspection & repair (told them what happened). Sig fixed it Free! :rockwoot: very generous Sig.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had a few squibs in my .22 rifle. Funny, they were all Remington as well (Golden Bullet bulk packs). I take my cleaning kit with me now, so I can put a rod down the barrel to check it. The last time it happened, no one at the range had anything long enough to check the barrel, so we ended up fishing a piece of string down it to be sure it was clear.

At least one of the duds I saw hit the ground not 20 feet from the firing line. Just kinda got lobbed from the barrel.

Good on you (and the other guys on the line) to stop and check as soon as something wasn't right!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for sharing.I have been shooting for quite a few years and only had this happen one time with a SVT-40 shooting old surplus ammo.Pop and no kick.That one was a bear to clear.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Your next order of business, OP, is to contact Remington and provide them with the lot # of the ammo.

They'll probably want to know how much you have...and will probably send you a shipping label for you to ship all from that lot back to them for analysis.

Even if not, contact Remington anyway.

-J-

Unfortunately, I had a very poor experience with Remington and defective ammunition, specifically, a shotgun slug round with the primer jammed all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket!

When I finally located Remington's ammunition facility in Lonoke, AR, the folks were less than interested, but I got the lot number, the defective round, wrote a business letter, which I enclosed with the defective round. Probably spent 10 to 12 hours on the project, along with a trip to send the package, plus shipping. Remington really has no interest in hearing about its defective ammunition.

Quite some time later, Remington sent me a check for $6 so I could buy another box of slugs. No apology; no explanation. I spent way more than that getting the information and faulty round to them. I sent the check back to Remington, thanked them for the insult, and never heard anything back.

I avoid Remington ammunition for two reasons, now: defective products and a corporate mindset to match.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010

:nono: Field stripping guys at the range isn't a good idea!:eek:

Seriously though good thing you were paying attention.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My new career made my ears perk on this subject. I am more than a little compelled (scared) to ask LEO and Military what their experience has been with hotter loads !? :eek:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    We just experienced this in a Glock 17 with WWB 9mm early this week. I have NEVER witnessed it until then... Scary at first!

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Good catch and way to stay alert!!

This is another reason why i like shooting at targets with dirt behind them. The plume of dust behind it confirms something went down range!

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    I used to shoot steel with a guy that was notorious for having squibs, but those were reloads...everyone gave him crap for using a Lee press instead of a Dillon.

Top Bottom