• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Hello Fellers, and Fellettes (not sure thats a word, and it kind of sounds sexual, but you get what I'm saying),

I recently gave up/traded my EDC Glock 26. I acquired a Sig p229 DAK as my new EDC. I absolutely love it for normal errands, and typical every day things, but we all know, p229's are on the LARGE side of a "compact." Its impossible for my 5'10' 185lb frame to effectively, 100% conceal it, which is absolutely fine... when I don't care if its seen or noticed. However, when I attend formal events, dinners at nice restaurants, etc... I'd def prefer a smaller handgun, hence the title of my thread.

I've tried the sub compact pocket guns out... not a fan. I am a fan of a single stack compacts though. I've had a Kahr before... the new CW380. I put 400 very troublesome rounds through it, it was sent back to Kahr 2x, and finally I sold it for 1/2 what I paid, + all my remaining 380 ammo.

Well me not being a fan of 380 in the first place, and most definitely not being a fan of the hit or miss function of many of the pocket guns, I'm resorting to a single stack 9mm or .45 as a secondary carry piece. I've always like Kahr styling and ergonomics, so I'd just like to hear how others like the function?

All I'm really interested about discussing are the cw9 and cw45. Not a 40 fan, and don't want to pay what it cost for a P or PM series kahr. Also not a fan of p938 sigs. Just interested about discussing the Kahr products.

It is to my knowledge, with a little big of modification, you can get a 1911 mag to function great in a cw45 (huge plus for me)... and with a 1911 officer's mag, it'll even fit flush.

What say you, INGO!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Shoot 'em and judge for yourself. There are enough Kahr owners that if you ask for someone to let you try theirs, you will very likely get some help.

pyoyo915

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2014
    Muncie
    Not personally owning one you can disregard my comment , but I was recently in a similar boat. Looking at getting the single stack 45 kahr or xds 45. Local shop said I should pay the extra cash and go with the xds. Now your wants and needs are probably different from mine.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My wife bought a CW9. I carry it from time to time and have put a number of rounds through it. I like the size of the CW9 and the trigger is smooth but the trigger is so long! I took time to compare it to the LC9 and xDs 45. I personally like the xDs trigger much better and like the fact that the xDs has a quick reset like other SA's and Glocks. I performed a side to side comparison between the CW9 and xDs 45, and the recoil from the 45 was not much more than the 9mm. I without a doubt would chose the xDs 45 over the LC9 or CW9.

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have a CW9 for EDC and love it. I'm actually considering getting a CM9 for pocket carry during the summer.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    My wife bought a CW9. I carry it from time to time and have put a number of rounds through it. I like the size of the CW9 and the trigger is smooth but the trigger is so long! I took time to compare it to the LC9 and xDs 45. I personally like the xDs trigger much better and like the fact that the xDs has a quick reset like other SA's and Glocks. I performed a side to side comparison between the CW9 and xDs 45, and the recoil from the 45 was not much more than the 9mm. I without a doubt would chose the xDs 45 over the LC9 or CW9.

I've never been a fan of newer Ruger Poly Wonders. The SR1911 is a nasty piece, but not a fan of the LC9, or LCP. I actually owned an XDs .45. I never shot it though. I got it dirt cheap off of a friend and traded it shortly after. I'm honestly not a fan of the XD series. I've heard they shoot very nice though.

Honestly, recoil wise and trigger pull aren't a huge deal to me. Chances are, the situations where I'll be in, where I'll be wearing this sidearm, a threat wont be more than 10 feet from me anyways. A good CC is the top priority. If someone is a threat and I have a compact on me, its going to be a pump and dump anyways lol. Triggers can always be finessed at the range for the slower, farther shots.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I've never been a fan of newer Ruger Poly Wonders. The SR1911 is a nasty piece, but not a fan of the LC9, or LCP. I actually owned an XDs .45. I never shot it though. I got it dirt cheap off of a friend and traded it shortly after. I'm honestly not a fan of the XD series. I've heard they shoot very nice though.

Honestly, recoil wise and trigger pull aren't a huge deal to me. Chances are, the situations where I'll be in, where I'll be wearing this sidearm, a threat wont be more than 10 feet from me anyways. A good CC is the top priority. If someone is a threat and I have a compact on me, its going to be a pump and dump anyways lol. Triggers can always be finessed at the range for the slower, farther shots.

It sounds like just about any single stack will work for you then. I am not a fan of the xd but I love my xDm and will be getting an xDs.

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I have a CW9 and a CT45 and I love them both. I carry the CW9 in a DeSantis mini belt slide OWB holster and it carries very well. Both guns shoot great. I originally bought the CW9 because it was cheap, but I have grown to love the gun. Thats why I bought it a big brother in .45. I love the look and feel of the Kahrs and i really like the trigger, smoothest double action trigger pull Ive ever felt. I have heard some people complain about issues they have had with their Kahrs but I have not had any issues at all. The CW9 will be my go to carry gun for the forseeable future!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    IWB-wise, is the cw45 that much larger than the cw9? I'm leaning towards the cw45 as I have almost all 9mm. The fact of a new CC .45 makes me very excited.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have a CW9 that I carry a lot in the summer under an untucked shirt.
    I also have a PM9. I had the PM9 first because i wanted a small 9mm.
    I bought the CW9 from an INGO member on the forums and have never looked back.
    The CW9 conceals every bit as well as the PM9 IMHO and I shoot better with the CW9.
    I think because of the slightly longer grip AND the bigger sight radius.

3 weeks ago CDNN had them on sale for $299 or some ridiculously low price.
    I am not sure if the CW45 was included in that but it is possibility.
    Check it out.

Edit
    The CW45 is significantly larger than the CW9.
    http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-cw9.asp
    http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-cw45.asp

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have a CW9 that I carry a lot in the summer under an untucked shirt.
    I also have a PM9. I had the PM9 first because i wanted a small 9mm.
    I bought the CW9 from an INGO member on the forums and have never looked back.
    The CW9 conceals every bit as well as the PM9 IMHO and I shoot better with the CW9.
    I think because of the slightly longer grip AND the bigger sight radius.

3 weeks ago CDNN had them on sale for $299 or some ridiculously low price.
    I am not sure if the CW45 was included in that but it is possibility.
    Check it out.

Edit
    The CW45 is significantly larger than the CW9.
    Kahr CW9 - Style # CW9093, Kahr Arms Pistols
    Kahr CW45 - Style # CW4543, Kahr Arms Pistols

Awesome. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, The cw45 does look a lot thicker. Another strong consideration is a S&W M&P9 Shield. If I do go that route, I'm going to wait until they come out with the new safetyless version. I hate safeties for a CC EDC. I mean I wouldn't use it even if I had the current shield, but if I don't use it, why even buy a model with a feature you wont use. I get blue label, so I could get a shield for $333.33 out the door, including tax, and thats incredibly cheap. Hopefully the new versions are the same price.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Got my CW9 in a trade (already broken in!!) and love it. I found the grip to be a little narrow, so I put one of those Hogue hand all whatevers on it, and it's great. Not my preferred trigger, but it works nice, and fills a niche.

If you belong to MCFG I'd be happy to let you try it out.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I owned several PM 9 KAHR pistols Were great, shot very will and several KAHR 45's PM 45, and the one just a little bigger.
    My buddy has a PM 40- kicks like a SOB in several shooters opinion.

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I really like my CW45. Recoil is very manageable and the ergonomics are great. I just need to find a holster and then transition from my G27 to the CW45 for daily carry

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the cw380..... I bought one recently and so far so good minus fiochi ammo and way less recoiol than my lcp . anyway the cw9 , for $300ish its tough to beat or is it ? Mine was perfect , added houge hand all Jr for range use bought an extra mag and I was done for a while....... then I picked up a shield. Side by side the shield felt better for me. Sold the cw9 by the way the slides are exactly the same width, height and length nearly identical as well. Everything you read about the triggers are pretty much on track yadda yadda yadda . both are good choices, the one your mitts fit may be different than what fits me. Buy them both ;-)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have CW45 and carried it daily in a kydex IWB holster. Has a smooth long trigger, but is a nice shooting gun. I stopped carrying it this year because of all the chaos out there and now my EDC is a Glock 23 (double the rounds carried). Still like the CW45 and it sits on my desk or beside me while sitting outside.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Have you considered the M&P Shield?

20120419_120503.jpg

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I'm liking what I'm hearing.
    I think ill call around to see who has a cw45 that I can feel up and coon finger. 1911 mags can be found much cheaper than factory Kahr mags, so hopefully, if the cw45 is the route I go, I'll order a few officer mags and modify them. Carrying 2 backup single stacks would easy as heck.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have. I wrote about it earlier in my posts.
    I get blue label s&w and glocks so I could get a shield for dirt. I just want to wait until they come out with a safety less version.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have. I wrote about it earlier in my posts.
    I get blue label s&w and glocks so I could get a shield for dirt. I just want to wait until they come out with a safety less version.

Dang I totally missed that post.

By the time a safetyless Shield comes out the new Glock single stack 9mm will prolly be here lol

Top Bottom