• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I already am carrying a Glock 19. It is my "take to work and beat up because it is ugly and I don't care to scratch it up but always works" gun.

What I want is a G19 but slimmer and smaller and not a .380. (mumbles..... Stupid Glock and the model 42, crummy little .380, expect me to stock another caliber... just to get a beat around pistol... I want 9mm because I already have it..)

:):.....Took me a long......loooooong time.....ta wrap my brain 'round 1 'ese things.......:rolleyes:.......yeah......resist'd change....fer a loooooong time...:):

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I could conceal most things this side of a Desert Eagle with the right belt/holster combo. But doing it comfortably while at work is the issue. I am a powersports tech and I seem to always be laying on the ground or bent over a machine while at work. While I can conceal the G19 I am carrying it is not always completely covered. I want something thin and small enough to be comfortable to wear tucked IWB while still being big enough to get a full grip on because I hate hanging my pinky off the grip. Since it will be tucked most of the time I want as few levers and hammers hanging off of it as possible which is why I am leaning the way of a striker gun.

The one issue I have with the Sig is the grip. On every P239 I have handled the grip always feels sharp and edgey. I would want a Hogue, or similar, wrap around grip for it which would intern effect concealability.

In that case I would take a hard look at the Walther PPS. If you can get used to the mag release, it is an excellent single stack 9mm. Tops in my book.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I handled a couple Kahrs at Gander lately. One would have the slide stick open with no mag. The other had a trigger that didn't break until you almost pulled it through the back of the guard.

These two samples are not what I would expect from Kahr. The slide issue was prob just dry and or dirty. But that trigger really gave me pause. I hate the long pull that gets all the way back and STILL doesn't break!

This can't be normal for Kahr, is it?

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm with snorko. I actually retried my 3913. However, unlike snorko, I have debased myself by choosing a CM9. Lighter still, very accurate, smaller than a Sig, not to mention a LOT less expensive.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    This can't be normal for Kahr, is it?

Unfortunately it seems to be becoming the norm from what I have been reading about them. New pistols that need a trip back to Kahr before they run right. It seems Kahr has a 4 week backlog on warranty repair too from reading other threads. It seems they are having some trouble dealing with their recent growth. Hopefully they can figure it out because I really like the look of the K9.

I think I may just start looking for a two tone P239 SAS.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think I may just start looking for a two tone P239 SAS.

Well scratch that. Listed width on the G19 is 1.18" and the P239 overall width is listed as 1.2". So even though it is single stack the P239 is WIDER than the G19. :n00b:

Looks like I am back to square one. Anyone have any suggestions for a single stack compact 9mm that doesn't have any goofy safeties?

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I know you said you don't have a fondness for poly guns, but for single stack 9mm there are not many better than the Walther PPS. It was there before everyone else went there. Long track record of success. Really like mine.

I think you may be hard pressed to find a good single stack, all metal gun.

I know because I have been looking too. Just got into Sigs and the DA/SA trigger and have been looking for a small EDC gun that fits the mold. I got the P239 and have a holster on the way. We shall see how it carries. I know it shoots well. Has run flawlessly and very similar to my P229. I don't know if I am going to be able to find a single stack DA/SA CCW. Let me know if you do because I am searching for the same.

I also have a Kahr P380 and CM9. I got mine for Kahr QC went to crap. Love those guns. Carry the CM9 most days when I want a single stack 9mm.

But I have heard the same thing about QC concerns and would stay away until Kahr sorts themselves out.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I split time between louisville and Indy. Although it has mostly been louisville lately. I'd be happy to let you shoot mine if we are ever in the same area. If you like her I may just sell it. I find my Kahr CM9 has been getting my single stack 9mm holster time. Not sure I need both.

sheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    I have a Sig 239 and a Khar PM9. Obviously PM9 is a lot smaller but a very smooth shooting gun. I don't think you could go wrong with either but my vote is with Sig.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For some reason I keep forgetting about the 36. I've added it to the list of potentials along with the PPS and maybe the XDs-4.

Went up to Bradis today and handled the PPS and the XDs along with a host of other small framed pistols. I ended up not liking any of them as much as I expected. Although the PPS was definitely the winner in feel dept. I just can't get used the Euro mag release. The XDs is a nice piece but the still the grip safety is a non starter, The Shield was also nice but still I hate the safety.

The surprise winner of the day? The Glock 36. I like the fit and feel. I like the size although it isn't really any thinner than the 19 I think the smaller dimensions will help it hide better IWB. And Glock aftermarket is just far and away better than any of the other pistols.

So I went looking for a subcompact 9mm and ended up likine a subcompact 45 better than any in the bunch.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Went up to Bradis today and handled the PPS and the XDs along with a host of other small framed pistols. I ended up not liking any of them as much as I expected. Although the PPS was definitely the winner in feel dept. I just can't get used the Euro mag release. The XDs is a nice piece but the still the grip safety is a non starter, The Shield was also nice but still I hate the safety.

The surprise winner of the day? The Glock 36. I like the fit and feel. I like the size although it isn't really any thinner than the 19 I think the smaller dimensions will help it hide better IWB. And Glock aftermarket is just far and away better than any of the other pistols.

So I went looking for a subcompact 9mm and ended up likine a subcompact 45 better than any in the bunch.

Haha. Told ya! ;) Great minds think alike:yesway:

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    Hi.
    Nice choice with the 36 and carrying a .45 for that extra punch!

These days I carry the G19. But I did carry the Kahr PM9, P9 and P45.
    All were extremly accurate and functioned smoothly.
    Be safe all.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I have owned and have sold both over the corse of my life. I liked the sig better for many reasons. One thing to think about is resale value. You will be lucky to get $400 out of the kahr. Trust me. The last k9 in great shape I tried selling took me 4 months to sell and the highest offer I got was $400. I think both are great guns. But I think the sig has a edge in accuracy and resale.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm still thinking about the PPS. There are two things I do not like at all about it though. One is the funky Euro mag release and the other is the huge dingus hanging off the rear of the mag base that snaps into the grip. It seems that would make carrying an extra mag near impossible.

I liked the XDs but it has that grip safety that needs gotten ride of.

Man I really wish Glock had did what they should have and made the 42 a 9mm. Yes I know .380 is technically a 9mm but I mean 9x19mm. Oh well maybe next year.

Still looking forward to getting my 36 and trying it out.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Yea the form factor on those mags SUCK. They can dig into your hand when reloading too. Not the greatest.

I said earlier I would be willing to part with my PPS because I don't carry it as often due to my CM9 taking over the single stack carry role for me. If you are willing to go the plastic gun route you may want to consider it or the higher price point model PM9. No safeties, no weird design factors like the PPS, very simple & stream lined form factor for carry. Plus very low cost and light weight. Not many other guns rival it for comfort when carrying daily. One of the best DAO triggers I have tried.

Lately there have been concerns about Kahr's QC as their market share has grown and the word is they are having trouble increasing their capacity without losing their quality. So you may want to consider going the used route with them. I have two Kahr's - the CM9 and the P380. Both have been flawless. Around 1k rounds through the CM9. 10/10 would buy again.

Top Bottom