• ...and so much more!
  • barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Summary:

I purchased a Kahr TP45 from Bud's Guns, for $541 shipped. I was looking for a thinner 45 to replace my G19 as my EDC gun.

Upon taking it out of the case, my initial impressions were positive. The fit and finish is first rate - there no apparent tool or machining marks. The gun fits my hands well and points naturally. Dry firing yielded a nice consistent trigger, perhaps a bit better than the Kahr CM9 I reviewed previously.

The gun came with 2 mags and a case.

Ammo:

250 UMC 230 grain FMJ
    50 Federal 230 grain HST +P
    100 reloads - 4.6 gr Bullseye under 230 gr Missouri Bullet LRN.

The UMC and the HST were shot in the first range session (when the pics were taken). The reloads were shot in my second range trip. No pics from that trip.

Pre-Shoot Prep:

Field stripped and lubed with CLP. The gun was dry fired about 150-200 times before I took it to the range.

Accessories:

I ordered one spare 7 round magazine ($36) from Cheaper Than Dirt. I also ordered a Comp-Tac Minotaur Spartan Holster and a Comp-Tac Twin Mag Pouch. The holster is made for a P45, which is a bit shorter, so I had to modify the bottom of the holster body for the gun to fit. This was accomplished w/o any issues. The P45 spec dual mag pouch worked w/o any modifications as any Kahr 45 mag will fit a Comp-Tac mag pouch for any Kahr 45.

Shooting impressions:

The ergonomics are good. I was able to get a nice high grip on the pistol and all of my fingers fit easily. Trigger reach is very nice and the mag and slide releases work well, with little to no hand movement needed to manipulate them. The thin grip took a bit of time getting used to, but I really like it and it makes the gun so much more comfortable to carry

[The following is copied verbatim from my CM9 review]

Both in dry firing the gun and actually shooting it, the one thing that stands out the most is the quality of the trigger. The pull is about as long as a Glock, but much smoother and more linear feeling. There is basically no take-up or play and the trigger breaks cleanly and consistently. There is little to no discernible over-travel either. The reset is long but terrific - the guns resets so quickly and so positively that the face of your trigger finger might get sore, though no worse than from loading the magazines. I anticipate this "reset soreness" is something I will get used to and it will eventually go away.

[end of copy from CM9 review]

There is not much else to say about the trigger. It is as least as good as the CM9, if not just a bit better.

Recoil is not too bad, but definitely noticeable in a 23 ounce (unloaded) 45. The Federal HST loads were particulalry snappy, but that is not a surprise with 230 grain +P 45 loads. Follow-up shots were manageable and I could hold strings of rapid fire on target with little difficulty.

I did not have any hand soreness or numbness from shooting gun. Mags were not too difficult to load and I did not have soreness from that either.

Reliability:

The gun was flawless out of the box. It fed and cycled with no issues and the slide locked back on an empty mag every time. I did have a few issues with my reloads, but that was due to a bad batch of reloads - I am working with a new brass cleaning process and I messed it up with my 45 brass. My bad.

Accuracy:

I was really not accuracy testing the gun since my total 45 ACP round count is in the low hundreds. That being said, the inherent accuracy of the pistol was apparent. The gun shot to point of aim at 15 yards and if I worked at it, I could hold 4 inch groups at 15 yards pretty easily. At 7 yards, the bulk of my rounds went into a 2.5-3 inch circle that left a big hole in the target. No target pics to share - too many embarrassing fliers this time out....

Pics:

Here is the gun:

picture.php

After the first range trip (300 rounds total):

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally, here is the gun and carry rig. The holster is terrific - very comfortable, easy on off and drawing and re-holstering are easy. However, as good as the holster is, the mag carrier is simply awesome. Pretty much the best mag carrier I have tried, both in terms of comfort and concealment.

picture.php

Summary:

I am very pleased with the gun and I carry it without reservations. I wish the mags held 8 rounds, but that is my only complaint and the issue is rectified by carrying two spares.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Great detailed review. Thanks for all the effort you put into the review. I am already a big Kahr fan, I have a PM45 but now I want also want a TP45.

When researching Kahr before I purchased the PM45 I noticed many negative comments about reliability. I was however very pleased that I did not experience any problems with my Kahr during break in, or since. I believe if there indeed were reliability problems at one time they have been fixed.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Nice review, thanks! A couple questions:

1) What prompted you to choose the larger TP45 over the smaller and easier to conceal P45 or CW45?

2) That gun looks DIIIIR-TY for only having shot 300 rounds. Does your reload "recipe" have anything to do with that?

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Nice review, thanks! A couple questions:

1) What prompted you to choose the larger TP45 over the smaller and easier to conceal P45 or CW45?

2) That gun looks DIIIIR-TY for only having shot 300 rounds. Does your reload "recipe" have anything to do with that?

Re: #1 - The TP45 was comparable in size to my G19, except thinner. Because it is thinner, it is held closer to my side in an IWB holster. This offsets any possible downside from the difference in height between the G19 (5") and the TP45 (5.25").

Also, if I were going to carry the P45 or CW45, I would end up carrying 7 round mags, which almost completely eliminates the height advantage the CW45 or P45 have over the TP45. That eliminates any concealment advantage, given that the thickness is the same and the difference in barrel length has little to no impact on concealment.

In the end, the TP45 is as easy to conceal as a P45 with a 7 round mag would be and has a longer barrel and longer sight radius, which means the gun is easier to shoot accurately and the bullet hits harder.

Re: #2 - I actually had not shot any reloads when I took the photos. Kahrs are pretty tight and a tight gun will hold on to grime pretty well. That being said, it was as dirty after 100 reloads as it was after 300 rounds of commercial ammo.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Great informative review. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I just recently purchased my first Kahr. It is a pm40 and so far I am very impressed with it. My only question about them is what is that panel / trap door on the right side of the gun??? It is the only polymer gun I have seen with that. I was a little worried it might take away from the durability of the gun. If I have my magazine out and hand cycle and dry fire the gun I can hear a little flexing / popping sound from that door. No sound with the magazine installed though. Its not a problem at all but I am just curious.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    There is some debate on the side panel. Kahr will generally tell you that it is to allow gas relief in case of a significant failure (like a kaboom). This makes sense since I would rather blow out that panel than have a piece of metal come at my forehead.

However, that panel also covers the trigger mechanism and if you felt brave enough to detail strip the entire frame assembly, that panel would be the key to getting at the trigger parts.

The flexing you hear is likely the trigger mech. and it likely goes away when you insert a mag because the weight/shape/position of the mag is enough to attenuate the sound.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Thanks for the info barrel maker. The sound does go away with the magazine inserted. I had just never seen a panel like that on a polymer frame before and was curious as to the purpose.

Top Bottom