• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That's awesome, I didn't know you'd bought land out there. That's even better!

Its a pretty big step. True spot and stalk hunting gets in your soul. Honestly, it makes sitting in a tree doing nothing for 12 hours very hard. I wanted a place I could drive to and hunt in a weekend, hunt spot and stalk, and had something different than whitetail.

The area I bought in is 100% leased ground to outfitters for neighbor's. Pretty much all they guide for is whitetail, because rarely does someone get a mule deer tag. I did see a whitetail that would have gone 145ish while in stand, but for me to use my 1 kansas tag on a whitetail, he will have to be a absolute STUD.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Its a pretty big step. True spot and stalk hunting gets in your soul. Honestly, it makes sitting in a tree doing nothing for 12 hours very hard. I wanted a place I could drive to and hunt in a weekend, hunt spot and stalk, and had something different than whitetail.

The area I bought in is 100% leased ground to outfitters for neighbor's. Pretty much all they guide for is whitetail, because rarely does someone get a mule deer tag. I did see a whitetail that would have gone 145ish while in stand, but for me to use my 1 kansas tag on a whitetail, he will have to be a absolute STUD.

I'm sure I'd feel the same. We've got great whitetail here in Indiana, maybe not quite as bit as Kansas on average but your chances at a mulie here are pretty slim lol.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Here ya go... Killer buck by the way!

0hEVPkJ.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Congrats again! I had my taxidermist rebuild a broken main beam in the last good buck I killed. I debated about it but like you, I had trail cam pics so he made sure not to give anything extra. I’m glad I went that way now, I’d do it again. If I had one as busted up as yours I’d do it and put a picture up showing how busted up he was by the time you got it him.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Congrats again! I had my taxidermist rebuild a broken main beam in the last good buck I killed. I debated about it but like you, I had trail cam pics so he made sure not to give anything extra. I’m glad I went that way now, I’d do it again. If I had one as busted up as yours I’d do it and put a picture up showing how busted up he was by the time you got it him.

I thought pretty hard about it, but in the end I dropped him off today, and had him look broken up.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm actually hunting MY land. I bought a piece of ground out here over the summer so I can do land owner OTC tags, and spot and stalk hunt 15 hours from the house.

Yes, kansas is a hope and prayer draw for mulies. If you draw whitetail, you can pay to get in another draw to upgrade it. I'm told its a 1 out of 10 years tag.

I got it done today. I saw that double drop buck again, and he just looked cool, and gave me a cool stalk, so I went for it. He's not going to score well, but I really don't care, he is a cool buck.

Pics are uploading slowly

Congrats on the land purchase and a heck of cool buck!

I remember looking into Kansas mule deer hunting once and seeing the long odds but I'd forgotten the part about having to first draw a whitetail tag and then hoping to convert it to mule deer.

Good luck in Nebraska in a few days! That's a trip I really want to do again sometime.

Top Bottom