• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I watched a couple of youtube demos for beginners on the karambit. So how are people cutting themselves? Cut their arms while trying to spin it? Flying off their finger during the spinning?

Any time you rotate it with the point coming toward you, it can sink into your wrist. Probably most such injuries happen when someone is just twirling it around their finger over and over.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think someone would need to get one and play with it some to know what is going on.... A smart person would get the trainer first I suppose... but i put that in the same class as asking directions from some stranger... I asked Brad about one at the gun show a couple years ago. He nervously looked at my wife and showed me something else that was shiny that I bought instead.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I watched a couple of youtube demos for beginners on the karambit. So how are people cutting themselves? Cut their arms while trying to spin it? Flying off their finger during the spinning?

My guess would be when they try to unbox their new knife and cut themself with a second knife while cutting the box open ... Rhino style. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All of this talk from you smarty-pants wiseguys made me get my Fox 478 from the closet. It's very twirly!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My guess would be when they try to unbox their new knife and cut themself with a second knife while cutting the box open ... Rhino style. :):
    Those plastic covers can be dangerous. I cut myself pretty bad one time on the plastic itself...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    All of this talk from you smarty-pants wiseguys made me get my Fox 478 from the closet. It's very twirly!

:faint:

You should have your phone nearby and start dialing 911. 9 ... 1 ...

I've been looking at the Fox 478 and the Emerson Karambit, they both look good.
    Some 5.11 designs are interesting as well.

Too many models to choose from! :faint:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    :faint:

You should have your phone nearby and start dialing 911. 9 ... 1 ...

I've been looking at the Fox 478 and the Emerson Karambit, they both look good.
    Some 5.11 designs are interesting as well.

Too many models to choose from! :faint:

If you want one to use as a work knife (and you want a folder), I'd go with Emerson or try to find a Spyderco. The Fox isn't crap, but the liner lock and frame aren't very rugged. That's fine for a one-time use defensive weapon, but not for a tool on which you depend daily. Again, fixed blade is the way to go.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

During the 'flip and grip', it ends up puncturing you on the inside of your wrist !
    Not a good spot.... unless you're trying to commit suicide.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you want one to use as a work knife (and you want a folder), I'd go with Emerson or try to find a Spyderco. The Fox isn't crap, but the liner lock and frame aren't very rugged. That's fine for a one-time use defensive weapon, but not for a tool on which you depend daily. Again, fixed blade is the way to go.

Extrema Ratio makes some nice ones, fixed and folding.
    I believe thet are made in the same city where Fox knives are made.

skart-kit.jpg

I just don't plan on spending over $400 on a knife. :faint:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Fox 590 is a back lock system. It is very solid.

I didn't know Fox had any folding karambit that are not liner locks. Interesting!

The problem back locks/middle locks/rocker bar locks is that it's tough to make them on a consistent basis that will open easily without being too loose or the that the lock will fail. It can be done, but it takes some attention to detail.

The 5.11 Tarani CUB is a good example. The back lock is solid and you can open it with the thumb hole, but you're never going to be able to flip it open like something with a liner lock, frame lock, axis lock, etc.

Top Bottom