Karl's big idea of the day (reloading tip)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    So, I was working some .45 brass on the press last night and found a 9mm that had slipped into my tumbling batch. Actually, I had two.

Darned if that little sucker wasn't jammed into a 45 case real good!

It dawned on me to use my kinetic bullet puller hammer...it worked like a charm.

I'm not claiming originality, but I haven't seen anyone on the interwebs ever suggest using their bullet puller for removing nested cases. The trick of holding the case against the side of a vibratory tumbler doesn't always work.

Just tryin' to be helpful.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good idea Karl..

Yep, that will work..Did you know that you can also use a Standard shell holder in place of the Three piece collet in your bullet puller??-Yes old news, but it works..

PS: you are ONLY 7 posts away from the classifieds...Bill.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    That's a good idea, Karl. I had never thought of that solution to a frustrating problem. As hard as I try to separate cases that don't play well together in the tumbler, a few sneak through on occasion. If I remember correctly, I had a couple of .40 S&W cases that got stuck in .45 Colt cases that were a real bear to separate with walnut media in them. Holding them against the side of the tumbler did little.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Thanks billybob44! I haven't considered using my shellholder in my hammer. I often wondered what I would use as a substitute if the little rubber band broke.

On other fronts,

You are the first person to imply I am trying to horn in on the classifieds. I assumed it was coming sooner or later as I have seen it so frequently of the new people (I was a long, long time lurker).

I am hoping this won't be misconstrued as a "personal attack" because I'm certain what you are implying wasn't

I'm here at the urging of a friend who is also on this board. I though that I could participate and be part of the community. I though that even though all of my input might not be original, my years of experience (and occasional idea that might be helpful to someone) might, just might, be put to good use by someone.

I realize that I have not reached the esteemed levels of many on the board here that have so many posts that short quips can be appreciated. I have attempted to put thought into my posts, to be considerate, to offer opinions when asked.

Do you believe that you have seen evidence that I am racing towards the classifieds? If I have offended you, I assure you it was not intended. If my presence has offended you because a newbie is posting too often, then that is on you.

I have very little interest in the Classifieds (as stated in my first post in the Introductions and Greetings). If I have any interest in reaching 50 posts it is more-so that the PM option is enabled.

If you were truly just offering encouragement because there is something that I should see in the classifieds, then I apologize for my rebuttal and thank you.

ETA: 6 posts to go.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Karl: You are doing it right. Don't let the BS get you down.

Some people continue to be taken by surprise when people take their non-purple text seriously. :ugh:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It,s ALL Good

Thanks billybob44! I haven't considered using my shellholder in my hammer. I often wondered what I would use as a substitute if the little rubber band broke.

On other fronts,

You are the first person to imply I am trying to horn in on the classifieds. I assumed it was coming sooner or later as I have seen it so frequently of the new people (I was a long, long time lurker).

I am hoping this won't be misconstrued as a "personal attack" because I'm certain what you are implying wasn't

I'm here at the urging of a friend who is also on this board. I though that I could participate and be part of the community. I though that even though all of my input might not be original, my years of experience (and occasional idea that might be helpful to someone) might, just might, be put to good use by someone.

I realize that I have not reached the esteemed levels of many on the board here that have so many posts that short quips can be appreciated. I have attempted to put thought into my posts, to be considerate, to offer opinions when asked.

Do you believe that you have seen evidence that I am racing towards the classifieds? If I have offended you, I assure you it was not intended. If my presence has offended you because a newbie is posting too often, then that is on you.

I have very little interest in the Classifieds (as stated in my first post in the Introductions and Greetings). If I have any interest in reaching 50 posts it is more-so that the PM option is enabled.

If you were truly just offering encouragement because there is something that I should see in the classifieds, then I apologize for my rebuttal and thank you.

ETA: 6 posts to go.

My post to you was ONLY as a reminder that you ARE close to being there..
    Hell, I get enough people "Slamming " me, I SURE do NOT need to rile anyone else up!,

Karl: You are doing it right. Don't let the BS get you down.

Some people continue to be taken by surprise when people take their non-purple text seriously. :ugh:

Some day I,ll learn the "Purple " routine..

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Yes, it is all good billybob...thanks.

I'm just a cranky old SOB that has had a lifetime of BS from the world and is fed up with most of what is going on in our society today. I am willing to help people, no, I WANT to help people and be a good neighbor but the world doesn't seem to want help. It wants to chastise, criticize, place blame and fault, point fingers, tell me how much I suck and I ain't afraid to stand up again' it.

That's all I got to say about that...for now...in this forum.

Have a nice day!:)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Karl - it is with great effort every day that we all need to fight our little battles to keep the world from making us cynical. There are helpful, good people in this world who try hard to do the right thing every day. It took me awhile, but once I learned that what other people thought of me was none of my business, it was a bit liberating.

Anyway, you crotchety old grouch, thank you for your help! I've been toying with the idea of getting into reloading, so I "lurk" around here when I can, trying to soak up some of these tips and tricks that you more experienced reloaders share around. Now get off my lawn! Hehh.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yes, it is all good billybob...thanks.

I'm just a cranky old SOB that has had a lifetime of BS from the world and is fed up with most of what is going on in our society today. I am willing to help people, no, I WANT to help people and be a good neighbor but the world doesn't seem to want help. It wants to chastise, criticize, place blame and fault, point fingers, tell me how much I suck and I ain't afraid to stand up again' it.

That's all I got to say about that...for now...in this forum.

Have a nice day!:)

Anybody with a cool Avitar like you have is OK by me. Keep your post coming they are well received.

INGO was my first forum to be a part of and I made a lot of mistakes in the beginning (in fact still making them).
    I now post in hopes that what I have to say will at least help one person. I just try to let the pot stirring crowd do their petting thing they do and let it roll off my back. I'm not as successful as I would like to be at doing it but it gets easier as time goes by.

We need the opinions of Grouchy Old Farts too. Now go put some pants on your scaring the neighbors.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Kind of like when you walk up to a table at a gunshow and ask the price of a item. When told, I politely decline and start to walk away and then hear the inevitable "jerk" comment behind my back.

Same ol' thing in life where you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. Starts to get old and wonder when the day will come I just say the heck with it and become the old man on the hill that doesn't want to be bothered.

LOL, I hope that day will never come but dang it gets frustrating!

BTW, great tip Karl!

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    I always end up with one or two of the stuck ones. Never even thought of it. Great Idea. Sometimes it happens with the more expensive pieces of brass and not jus 45acp.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm here at the urging of a friend who is also on this board.
    That would be me. And he's not kidding about being a LONNNG time lurker! That even became his nickname when he'd walk into the shop! He's minion material, but I haven't yet decided on the task he'll be given nor the trials he might have to endure to make it official...
    Anybody with a cool Avitar like you have is OK by me.
    I think he drew that. :D

Top Bottom