• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I remember when the White river around Madison/Delaware county was a sewer. In the fall you'd find carp so thick you couldn't see the bottom around bridge priers, and see the occasional dead hawg {non-Harley}float by. Now I cross it and find gravel bottoms and hear about the smallies and rock bass caught. I want to do a little float fishing and explore it , much as my father did. Dad was a kid when he did it and used a canoe, he taught me to handle one fairly well. My idea though is to use a kayak lighter and easier to carry, plus I frequent the strip pit around Terra Haute many with a portage to get in. I've found a good price on a Pelican Pulse 100X Angler, any thoughts on my choice?
    I'm no kid, I've got knee problems, is getting in and out of one any worse than getting in and out of a tub? Thanks:...................<><Duce

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 sit in kayak that I fish out of. It can be a little difficult to get in and out of depending mainly on where you are launching/taking out. With a little planning and care, you can manage. I am no spring chicken either and still enjoy fishing in the kayak. Another consideration would be a sit on top, might be easier for you to get on and off. I an not familiar with the Pelican model you refer to. I chose the sit in kayak because I also use it for camping trips and recreational kayaking also.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    All these threads about kayak fishing have really got me interested in getting one too. Nice alternative for getting on the water and getting to where the fish are at. Now I just need to educate myself on which one to get. There are soooooo many, and such a price range. Each time I start looking for one, I always end up thinking that I could almost get a nice basic used boat, motor, and trailer for the same price, or just a little more. But then again, there are advantages to kayaks that boats don't have. I'm at the point now where I am trying to decide between spending my money on the kayak, or a small used boat. Tough decision. My back may help me decide this one, as comfort becomes a back issue for me for all day fishing.

Last edited:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Like rem788 said the sit in kayaks are a little hard to get in & out of if you have flexibility problems, I would suggest getting a sit on type if you have this problem.
    I am going to try bow fishing out of my kayak, I hope I don't hit anything too big until I get the bugs worked out.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I remember when the White river around Madison/Delaware county was a sewer. In the fall you'd find carp so thick you couldn't see the bottom around bridge priers, and see the occasional dead hawg {non-Harley}float by. Now I cross it and find gravel bottoms and hear about the smallies and rock bass caught. I want to do a little float fishing and explore it , much as my father did. Dad was a kid when he did it and used a canoe, he taught me to handle one fairly well. My idea though is to use a kayak lighter and easier to carry, plus I frequent the strip pit around Terra Haute many with a portage to get in. I've found a good price on a Pelican Pulse 100X Angler, any thoughts on my choice?
    I'm no kid, I've got knee problems, is getting in and out of one any worse than getting in and out of a tub? Thanks:...................<><Duce

I've had the non fishing version of that kayak for about 5 years, it was cheaper to buy the base version, and add the rod holders myself. The kayak works great for fishing, plus the opening is so large getting in and out isn't too bad, it just takes a little grace. I kayak with a few people over 50, and they do fine.

Sit-in vs Sit-on

I like sit-in, it is easier to keep your legs dry in cool weather, it offers more protection if the going gets rough and there also seems to be more storage on the

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    I've got a Wilderness Systems Ride 135, which is made for fishing. Amazing Kayak and perfect for my size and what I need, but it's a bear to handle alone and I'm a pretty big fella. I would suggest the ride 115 as a smaller and lighter version, or anything from Jackson kayaks. It really depends on what your are doing though, a river fishing kayak is completely different than a pond/lake yak. I would HIGHLY suggest going to Wild Cat Creek in Zionsville and talking to one of their guys, they are not only super friendly, but VERY knowledgeable as well! Last thing I'll leave you with, the old saying holds very true for kayaks, you get what you pay for!

zimzum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Chesterfield
    I'd think that if you avoid steep banks when launching and getting out you'd be ok.
    You could launch at Yorktown park or Priest Ford and stop at Walbridge in Chesterfield.
    Probably be fine.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Thanks Folks:
    Looks as if I'm heading in right direction. Any thought on launching at High Banks north of Daleville? Any advice on paddles?
    Has anyone floated from Chesterfield area west to 600W? Now where'd I stow my wading shoes and Life vest?.......:@ya:.......<>< Duce

Last edited:

zimzum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Chesterfield
    High Banks would be good, too. I've never gone past Chesterfield. In a boat, launching from Yorktown or close to it, stopping at Walbridge....makes for a pretty long trip. May be quicker in a kayak. You'll have a definate advantage when the river is low.

Top Bottom