• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'm looking into purchasing a kayak, and I kno nothing about nothing as far as kayaks are concerned, anybody that can help me, please school me on kayaks

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I have a Ascend D10.Bought it over the spring and love it.Great kayak to start off with and very stable.After some practice you will be able to stand up to stretch in it.
    It is good for long trips.I take it out on white river and made several trips down to blue river over the summer.14 mile trips on blue river and 26+ on white river.
    If you are looking for one to fish in the Ascend FS10 is a good choice as well.
    The D10 runs around $400 and is worth every penny

Something to think about no matter which kayak you choose be sure to set in it with various paddle lengths before to see what length fits your kayak the best.Last thing you want is to be smacking the side of your kayak for 20 miles because you didn't try out paddles.Also another thing with paddles is to be sure and get one that you can feather the angle. The Carlisle day tripper paddle is a good place to start.They offer it in several lengths and it has a push button feather

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    The seat is the most important part for the casual enthusiast. If you are uncomfortable then even the prettiest river trip will become a bad experience.
    My :twocents: is to buy the yak with the best seating system and with the most adjustment. We are in Indiana. There is no need for the tricked out yak as you will not be in water that poses any technical difficulty.
    Note: the nicer the seat the more pricey the yak. The yak is not where the cost is found. Its just plastic. They money is in the molded in compartments and seating system. Take a look at wilderness systems Pongo model. Yep, pricey but you can do 20 mile floats and not be cramped or beat up at the end.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have a Wilderness System Pongo 120. This is a 12 foot recreatinal kayak set up for fishing. I have been very pleased with it. I have taken several long trips in it including 54 miles on the Current River in Missouri, portaging in Quetico, the White River and the Drift Wood River. I have also taken it fishing all day all over central Indiana. I would second the above post, the seat is the most important consideration. We purchased our kayaks at Fluid and Fun in South Bend because they are on the St Joseph River and will gladly let you take the kayak out on the river and try it out before you buy. I would recommend trying the kayak out before you buy, made a big difference for my wife especially. Some fisherman prefer the sit-on-top kayaks for fishing, something else to consider depending on your preference. Good luck!

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have a wilderness systems Pamlico 120 that I bought from Dick's for about $400. It's a great kayak for the little time I use it. I do a little waterfowl hunting and even less pleasure riding. It's comfy for me (and my dead ducks).

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    The seat is the most important part for the casual enthusiast. If you are uncomfortable then even the prettiest river trip will become a bad experience.

Yep,
    I have a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14 that I call my caddyyak, it is like sittin in your favorite recliner only with a much better view.:)

BC1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    West Lebanon
    :ar15::ar15:
    If you are not too far ( I see you are in NWI) check out Fluid Fun in Bristol, IN. Kayak and Canoe sales in Bristol Indiana at Fluid Fun. They are great and can get you set up for what every you want and are relatively reasonable.

I bought a kayak at Fluid Fun. It was a long drive up there for me but it was well worth it. They are right on the St. Joseph river and will let you paddle different boats before you buy.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    They are right on the St. Joseph river and will let you paddle different boats before you buy.

THIS is a good idea.

If you have specific questions, PM me. We can maybe talk on the phone.

"Paddling_man" man isn't because I'm into S&M. I taught whitewater kayaking (and competed some) in the southeastern mountains for about 10 years and have logged a number of multi-day solo sea kayak trips where you're often out of sight of land.

My time on the water is greatly reduced now but still get out often. Still have a whitewater slalom boat and a 17' sea kayak.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I like Folbots. Most models are very stable (I have never tipped mine), have lots of room for equipment, they have great customer support, the owners organize group paddles, can be transported inside your car after folding up (easier for longer trips plus safe from theft) or even baggage checked on a commercial airline. Disadvantages, they are not as cheap as polyethylene and are not as robust as polyethylene for banging against rocks or or sharp shells (although easier to repair than polyethylene).
    Folding Kayaks & Folding Boats from Folbot

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    Fluid fun does a couple of blemished boats that you can get for cheap and right now I bet they are selling boats cheaper as the season is ending.

Top Bottom