Keep a gun that doesn't work for everybody in the house, or get another?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My P95 has 700 or so rounds through it now. After break in, the first 100 rounds, it's been flawlessly reliable for me. In fact, almost all the malfunctions happened in the first 25-30 rounds. It's an accurate, easy to shoot and easy to carry gun that just works well for me.

However, it does NOT work well for Sean, my 11 y/o son. When he tried shooting it after Cathy and I finished our ACT class Saturday, the gun simply would not work for him. He had to have been limp wristing, I think, but neither Coach nor I could see anything obvious. I even tried shooting with a very weak hold, thumb and forefinger only, and the darned gun worked.

My concern is this: I trust the gun when I'm shooting it. But, I'm wondering how wise it is to have a defensive gun in the house that doesn't work for everybody in the house. Our defensive plans certainly don't include Sean as being part of our first line of defense, but there have been instances when children have had to use the household firearms to protect themselves and their family.

Would you all keep a gun that you liked and worked well for you, but not everybody in the house, or get rid of it and find something that does work for everybody?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would think if you couldn't afford to get another gun that works for Sean, it may be worth looking for a gun that fits everyone. I use my carry gun, Glock 19, as the main go to weapon right now. And my wife can shoot that same gun exceptionally well.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm with Lovemachine on this one. You might need a different gun or, if he's ready in your eye, he might need one that's suited to him and is "his" (with all the restrictions that come with it at his age). If it's the main HD firearm, give him access to something else that does work.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think Sean will grow into it shortly and be fine. It works great for you. Be patient is my gut feeling. Sometimes I get frustrated when my 11 year old does not perform like a seasoned veteran, and I think this is the same situation. Give him till spring to grow and I bet this problem goes away.

However, if you are looking for a reason to buy another gun... Then of course this absolutely needs to be done ASAP.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If it works for you, I would definitely keep it. He can either practice with it, or grow into it. If you are that worried about it, pick him up something he can use in the mean time. Even if it's a $75 20ga H&R topper.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think Sean will grow into it shortly and be fine. It works great for you. Be patient is my gut feeling. Sometimes I get frustrated when my 11 year old does not perform like a seasoned veteran, and I think this is the same situation. Give him till spring to grow and I bet this problem goes away.

However, if you are looking for a reason to buy another gun... Then of course this absolutely needs to be done ASAP.

Surprisingly, for me, I'm not looking to replace this gun. I like it, a lot. I'm not frustrated with Sean, just wondering how much weight I should place on his ability to use my gun. His role really isn't to fight at this point, it's mostly to run, but there are possibilities where that plan may not work, or I and/or Cathy may fall and he'll be on his own. Of course, if that happens he does have access to the shotguns.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Surprisingly, for me, I'm not looking to replace this gun. I like it, a lot. I'm not frustrated with Sean, just wondering how much weight I should place on his ability to use my gun. His role really isn't to fight at this point, it's mostly to run, but there are possibilities where that plan may not work, or I and/or Cathy may fall and he'll be on his own. Of course, if that happens he does have access to the shotguns.

The shotgun would be a good idea. How many times has Sean used your gun? Perhaps he just needs to practice a lot more.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The shotgun would be a good idea. How many times has Sean used your gun? Perhaps he just needs to practice a lot more.

This was his first time using it. He's handled a number of full size guns without major issue, though he has limp wristed some here and there, but I suspect this Ruger may share the Glock malady of being prone to limp wristing by some folks.

He's a little bummed, though. He'd decided the P95 (a gun he's never paid attention to before) was just the PERFECT gun for his choice of match gun for next summer. Seems he made this decision after I got one LOL. Maybe he'll grow into it by next summer, like Coach said :)

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    If you are thinking about another firearm, you might want to give some thought to a .38 revolver. As long as he can pull the trigger there will be no feeding issues.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

^I'm gonna go with da Coach on this one:D

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I had my wife work with 5 different semi-autos ranging form .380 up to .45. She could shoot each accurately, but none of them would cycle for her consistently. We bought her a revolver, and she loves it. It goes bang every time, and she shoots it more accurately than the semi-autos. If the young man is in the home defense loop this could mean someones life. It could be his life. My advice, if it doesn't work, fix it now. I understand what coach is saying, and a appreciate it, but how would you feel if something were to happen, and you had not acted on a known issue.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm with coach. If you're not gonna sleep well till the kid has something he can use, and shotguns work well, set him up there, or maybe a crusty ol revolver. But I wouldn't give up on the 95 just yet.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So what are the odds that your son will have that gun? If it is THE go to gun then I would question it. Odds are you will have that gun and if shtf, he would arm himself with a different gun, so I would keep it. My wife doesn't like shotguns but they are still loaded for HD.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    you know I would have to say if he can't handle the gun, then he isn't old enough to be using it yet. perhaps a .22 would be more his size for now.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Uh oh. You did it now.:draw:

I have an amt backup that has what seems like a 20 pound trigger. A lot of adult women can't pull that trigger. Should they stick to 22's also, or find a gun that better suits them?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Keep you Ruger P95. Let the young man earn money to buy his own pistol. He will appreciate it that much more. Joe, since you seem to be a fan of Ruger products (they are an excellent value) maybe your boy would like an SR9. Grip would be a bit narrower and should make a good gun for the shooting sports. Something to grow into.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm gonna get eaten alive for this, but if he's 11, and I don't care about his physical size, he does not need immediate access to a loaded pistol. I'm not sure how you envision your son as part of any SD plan, but I would not place any child in that role. Children are simply too young and lack the intellectual maturity to understand the implication of sudden, violent death.

Before you pick up your firearm, you have weighed the decision to take a life, if necessary. I'm sure you did not make that decision casually. You had the ability to use your education, life experience and maturity to place yourself between your family and any possible harm. Right now, you and your wife are responsible for his safety; but that will begin to change soon enough.

In the meantime, lots of range time, increasing knowledge and comfort with weapons, and perhaps decussions about safety, self defense and lethal protection.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I would keep the gun but get another for your boy. My wife will only shoot my PT92AR due to her confidence and familarity. I also happen to like the beretta platform also but I would get whatever was comforatable and effective. If you can only have one gun in the house due to circumstances then I would trade the ruger off for something else. Personally 11 may be a little young to give a gun to in a stressful situation but that is up to you.

Top Bottom