Keep a gun that doesn't work for everybody in the house, or get another?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've spent way too many hours thinking about just this type of issue. Some of the guns I have just do not work for my wife. My 13 year old seems to be able to handle all of them without any trouble, but that was not the case two years ago. He has grown into being able to shoot everything from a P22 to a S&W 586. He's most comfortable with the 9mm and shoots them well.

My wife likes to shoot the P22. She does not care for anything bigger than a 380 and does not practice with anything but the 22. I have a couple of 9s that don't cycle well when she shoots them, but I think if she practiced more, she'd be Ok with them.

Now, in regards to the family defense plan, I don't plan on sending a 13 year old downstairs to start clearing rooms, but I do expect him to barricade himself in with his mother and defend the room if somebody comes in shooting. I pray that he's never in that situation, but I don't want him to be incapable of handling it if he is.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Now, in regards to the family defense plan, I don't plan on sending a 13 year old downstairs to start clearing rooms, but I do expect him to barricade himself in with his mother and defend the room if somebody comes in shooting. I pray that he's never in that situation, but I don't want him to be incapable of handling it if he is.

Yeah, that's pretty much where we are with Sean. He's to run, hide, barricade. If we fall, though, he's on his own, and I want him to at least be able to fight if he has too. There's also the possibility that Cathy and I will be in the shower when naughty people come calling, and again, he may well have to fight. Kids have been put in the position before, so I can't ignore the possibility, though it's hardly Plan A. I'm going to keep my gun, though. Like Coach said, it works extremely well for me. Sean has other, better means he can get to if he has too.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My P95 has 700 or so rounds through it now. After break in, the first 100 rounds, it's been flawlessly reliable for me. In fact, almost all the malfunctions happened in the first 25-30 rounds. It's an accurate, easy to shoot and easy to carry gun that just works well for me.

However, it does NOT work well for Sean, my 11 y/o son. When he tried shooting it after Cathy and I finished our ACT class Saturday, the gun simply would not work for him. He had to have been limp wristing, I think, but neither Coach nor I could see anything obvious. I even tried shooting with a very weak hold, thumb and forefinger only, and the darned gun worked.

My concern is this: I trust the gun when I'm shooting it. But, I'm wondering how wise it is to have a defensive gun in the house that doesn't work for everybody in the house. Our defensive plans certainly don't include Sean as being part of our first line of defense, but there have been instances when children have had to use the household firearms to protect themselves and their family.

Would you all keep a gun that you liked and worked well for you, but not everybody in the house, or get rid of it and find something that does work for everybody?

You can't all use the same gun at the same time. If you and your wife are both gone and your 11 year old shoots someone, your local PD, prosecutor, county CPS can make your life hell (family court, etc.).

He just needs practice. Let him grow into it.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have a similar problem cause my wife doesnt care for semiauto's.But the good news is that she wants a Judge for the home (one more step for her to get her LTCH) .She also has a weak grip that doesnt let grasp the slide firmly enough due to a accident but can hold a gun & fire fine ( broke her wrist falling off a footstool).I personally think she just likes revolvers & doesnt care to work on her slide cocking technique but oh well ,another gun for the collection :)

Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    If finances allow, you could buy an affordable gun your son and others in your house can fire. I would try working with your son more as I'm sure you are. If your P95 works well for you I wouldn't part with it, I wouldn't want to part with my P90

Top Bottom