• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Hope everyone is keeping an eye on your bank accounts lately. I've had friends who have been having issues with fraud charges, just checked mine like I do every few days and there is an "international point of sale" purchase on my account for $0.18, it isn't much, but who's to say it isn't an attempt at finding an account that no one monitors. I know it wasn't me because it just hit my account yesterday, and I haven't carried cash since I got back from vacation in January.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hope everyone is keeping an eye on your bank accounts lately. I've had friends who have been having issues with fraud charges, just checked mine like I do every few days and there is an "international point of sale" purchase on my account for $0.18, it isn't much, but who's to say it isn't an attempt at finding an account that no one monitors. I know it wasn't me because it just hit my account yesterday, and I haven't carried cash since I got back from vacation in January.
    Thank you for the reminder and heads up! I check mine at least daily, but honestly don't don't look beyond the balances as often as I should.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I look at the balance daily and check my transactions every few days. I looked and it said I spent $750 yesterday. :n00b: I worked 24 hours! Turns out it all hit at once including a couple of $$$ bills, but I found the ONE $0.18 transaction.

ETA:: 4,444 posts!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Might be time for a new bank. If they're letting international charges go through unchecked they're dropping the ball. If that happened to me my bank would decline the charge, instantly contact me and overnight me a new card.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My bank will shut my cards off if I make an out of state purchase. If I go out of state I have to call and let them know where I am going and when. Kind of a drag but I like the fact they are watching my money. Any out of the ordinary charges and I get flagged/notified etc.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Less than $1 charges are indicative of someone testing the account. Move quickly to contact your bank because this is generally followed by a much larger transaction. If they let this one through they will also allow more. Been there with this and the sooner you get it stopped the less hassle you will be dealing with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have more than 1 account. 1 is used as internet purchasing only and amounts in account are for those purchases. Hard to get us for a lot when I set on it. I do not pay on line as I will pay over the phone but mainly still cut checks. I know, old school but it is what I know so sticking with it.

Small transactions such as you are seeing are test runs on you so get ready or change your info......now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Might be time for a new bank. If they're letting international charges go through unchecked they're dropping the ball. If that happened to me my bank would decline the charge, instantly contact me and overnight me a new card.

Who is you bank?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The bank I was referencing is PNC. They called me at 8am on a Sunday morning asking about charges made in England. Had a new card on Tuesday.

I also bank with TCU. My account with them has never been compromised.

Just a heads up, this could EASILY happen to you.

I bank through PNC as well. The charge in question is a surcharge on international charges. I purchased something online, which was billed through Cyprus, and because it was international, there was an $0.18 surcharge.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and everything is good. Except I spend too much on ammo and Harleys.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    We got a message the other day from Chase stating that they will no longer be making phone calls about charges and will only notify online. It sounds like a cost cutting move that puts us more at risk.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I bank with PNC and have been on trips for work where I have covered as many as 15 cities in 5 different countries in 5 days and they have never called on a purchase not even the first time I was overseas after they took over with National City. Prior to that national city only called once when I made an online purchase of some RC equipment. They did call my wife once for a $400 purchase of diesel fuel in OK when we were in Chicago for my grandmother's funeral.

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    and also remember that if you have a saving or any other account that you don't use that with new laws if you have a inactive account that after 3 years if you have done nothing to it it will go to state or government as lost fund, bull if you ask me,

Top Bottom