• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've had a CZ 452 military trainer for about 20 years now. I'm thinking about a wood stocked CZ 457 varmint that is catching my eye.
    I've read in one place that the 452 has a better barrel and chamber but can't confirm that. The 457 has the heavy barrel and what I
    consider to be better stock along with the other "upgrades" and aftermarket support. There really isn't any stocks, etc available for the 452 anymore.
    I am also thinking of possibly getting either one threaded for a suppressor.
    Question being is it worth selling the 452 to get the 457 varmint?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had a CZ 452 military trainer for about 20 years now. I'm thinking about a wood stocked CZ 457 varmint that is catching my eye.
    I've read in one place that the 452 has a better barrel and chamber but can't confirm that. The 457 has the heavy barrel and what I
    consider to be better stock along with the other "upgrades" and aftermarket support. There really isn't any stocks, etc available for the 452 anymore.
    I am also thinking of possibly getting either one threaded for a suppressor.
    Question being is it worth selling the 452 to get the 457 varmint?
    I was asking someone just this week about this.
    He has multiple CZ .22LR rifles of 452, 455 & 457 with different models of each.
    He loves his 457, but he said his 452 was probably the most accurate.
    I've read the same thing.
    Tough decision.
    I'm the kind that likes to try out everything, & have to sell something to pay for it.
    I then look back on regret selling certain ones.
    I currently have the CZ 455 Varmint & a 512 semi-automatic, but I'm planning on selling the 512 to help pay for some .22LR pistols.
    Might be to my regret. Again, haha!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    What are you wanting to use them for?

I’ve had many of each, and sold most (which I DEEPLY regret, for the 452s…). I’m down to one 452FS in .22LR, and two 457s (one MTR in .22LR and one Synthetic American in .17HMR).

For hard, regular use, the 457 wins. The black nitride will hold up better than the 452’s blueing, and the “normal” safety configuration is easier to use. Also, the ~60* bolt throw is very fast and smooth! If you’re going to scope it, I’d also suggest the 457, as that shorter bolt throw clears scopes better.

For a classy range or hunting rifle you don’t mind needing to spend a little more time maintaining after use, the 452 wins. The Trainer is a great rifle for open sight use, especially since the tangent sights are phenomenal.

If I had the funds, I’d offer to buy it and put my Denny peep sights on it… ;)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Another CZ fan here. I too have had many and am down to a LH 452 American, a LH 452 Lux, and a 457 Scout that I swear is for my daughter. I had the American cut to 16.5" and threaded. The LH 452 Lux is one of the say three last guns I would sell. With those tangent sights I can hit the 300 yard gongs offhand and standing.

I have had a 452 Varmint, a 455 Varmint Tacticool, and a 457 Varmint At-One. If I were to get another heavy barrel it would be a 457, likely another At-One since the adjustable LOP works for my stubby Slav build.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I would keep the 452. It's a classic and they don't make it anymore. Others have offered to buy my 452 Ultra Lux, but it has the artillery-rifling and I just can't see it ever being for sale.
    What Tb said.

13 years ago we bought a 452 Trainer for the middle son's first firearm. It proved to be a wise purchase, rivaling the accuracy of the antique Remington 513-T Matchmaster we bought for his older brother's first firearm.

Keep it.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    What are you wanting to use them for?
    Appreciate the info.

Mostly a bench rifle. Don't know if I will do any matches but I'm on a mission to see how accurate I can become with a
    22 because ammo is cheap. Being retired now I find myself at the range a lot. :rockwoot:There is an older Nikon 4x12 on the
    452 now that was taken off an AR that hasn't been shot. Had to find some tall rings to clear the rear sight. The bolt clears it.

Guess I'll keep it and think about adding the 457 that would get threaded. Maybe I shouldn't hack on a classic.

There is also a Savage MKII FV SR I recently picked up and an At One stock with the trigger plate just came for it
    today. If I like the At One stock maybe get the 457 like that.

I do have several others to use as field guns when I want to do that.

cz452.jpg

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I bought my first 452 Trainer when they were first introduced in the US a few decades ago. It came in a weird triangular cardboard box and I think it was around $189. I bought it just because it was an odd bird and relatively cheap at the time. Boy was I surprised once I started shooting it! That one got away from me because to get a new gun I usually had to sell/trade an old gun. I really regret losing that one.
    Decades later and I have probably 10-12 CZ rimfire rifles, a couple 527 rifles and a slew of CZ pistols. You could say I’m a CZ fanatic!
    Most of the rimfires are 452 variants but I do have a 455 American, a 457 MTR and a couple rare 611 semi auto 22 Mags.
    The 452s include 3 Varmints in 22LR and 17 HMR, an American in 22, a FS in 22, 2 Trainers in 22 and an American in 22 Mag. Oh, I recently picked up a 452 Ultra Exclusive in 22 as well, or is it Super Exclusive?. I think that’s correct but I can’t remember things like I used to. They ALL shoot very well!!
    Believe it or not my favorite is the little FS 22! I love the full stock and it shoots just as well as the others do. I’ll buy every one I run across, although I haven’t seen one for sale in a long time, and can afford. Actually I try to pick up any 452 I see that is nice and priced right, they are just great rifles! I’d really love a 453 but I’ve come to the conclusion that they were made from unobtainium!
    If at all possible my advice would be to keep the 452 and get rid of something else to pick up a 457. I’m thinking of selling several of my other 22s because I prefer the CZs over all of them and they just don’t get shot, I just need to get off my butt and get some pictures so I can post them in the classifieds.
    Wow, that was long winded. Good luck in your search and hopefully you’ll find what you like.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    ... I’d really love a 453 but I’ve come to the conclusion that they were made from unobtainium!

I picked up a like-new 453 in 17 hmr at the Crown Point gun show a couple years ago. Some guy had traded it to the dealer on Saturday, and I bought it on Sunday. I don't believe the dealer knew what he had, as the price I paid was embarrassingly low. I didn't have the cash on me, so I gave him $100 to hold it for me while I went to the ATM machine!

Funny thing is, I shoot better groups with the standard trigger, as opposed to the set trigger. It don't sound right, but it's repeatably true.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I picked up a like-new 453 in 17 hmr at the Crown Point gun show a couple years ago. Some guy had traded it to the dealer on Saturday, and I bought it on Sunday. I don't believe the dealer knew what he had, as the price I paid was embarrassingly low. I didn't have the cash on me, so I gave him $100 to hold it for me while I went to the ATM machine!

Funny thing is, I shoot better groups with the standard trigger, as opposed to the set trigger. It don't sound right, but it's repeatably true.

Interesting. I’d like one just to try out and compare. I have to admit that my favorite is the Full Stock models. I have a 452 FS in 22 LR and a 527 FS in 223. Lovely, well balanced rifles.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’m a sucker for the FS models as well. At one time, I had an FS in .22, .22WMR, .17HMR, two in .223, one in .243, two in 6.5x55, one in .308, and one in 9.3x62. When funds were needed to finish flight training, I sold all but the .22, thinking I could just save up and replace them later. A year after that, CZ dropped them all. I was crushed! Prices have skyrocketed since, and I just can’t justify the expense when they’d see so little use overall. I still hope to get another in .223 and 6.5x55 though!

Anyway, if you’re doing bench stuff Max, keep the 452 and save for a 457 if the 452 shoots to your liking. You’ll regret selling it later!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’m a sucker for the FS models as well. At one time, I had an FS in .22, .22WMR, .17HMR, two in .223, one in .243, two in 6.5x55, one in .308, and one in 9.3x62. When funds were needed to finish flight training, I sold all but the .22, thinking I could just save up and replace them later. A year after that, CZ dropped them all. I was crushed! Prices have skyrocketed since, and I just can’t justify the expense when they’d see so little use overall. I still hope to get another in .223 and 6.5x55 though!

Anyway, if you’re doing bench stuff Max, keep the 452 and save for a 457 if the 452 shoots to your liking. You’ll regret selling it later!
    I’ve never even seen that many FS! Usually if you see one at a shop or a show it’s been an exciting day!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’ve never even seen that many FS! Usually if you see one at a shop or a show it’s been an exciting day!

That’s true now, but back around 2015 they were plentiful and sold for ~$500-$800 depending in condition and whether they were a wood lottery winner. I sure miss those days, because now they sell for more than double that for even a plain one!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That’s true now, but back around 2015 they were plentiful and sold for ~$500-$800 depending in condition and whether they were a wood lottery winner. I sure miss those days, because now they sell for more than double that for even a plain one!
    I lucked into my 527 FS 223 last year for $750. It’s as new. With all the rifles I own I’ve still never won the wood lottery!!!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    That’s a great price for an FS! They’re real sleepers, but if you ever wanna sell… ;)

Anyway, sorry to get off track OP! Shoot that Trainer, they’re delightful rifles!

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    When funds were needed to finish flight training,
    Was it worth it? I was a CFI, towed banners, skydivers then cancelled checks in 210's and Aztecs during the 80's. Gave up on a flying career after an interview with American Eagle and went to the utility. Retired before 60. Don't get me wrong. I had a LOT of fun.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    OP I still believe you should keep the 452 as you’d probably be hard pressed to find another one, or at least a reasonably priced one. Save up your coin and get yourself a 457 down the road.
    Sorry for going astray upthread. Good luck to you.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Was it worth it? I was a CFI, towed banners, skydivers then cancelled checks in 210's and Aztecs during the 80's. Gave up on a flying career after an interview with American Eagle and went to the utility. Retired before 60. Don't get me wrong. I had a LOT of fun.

Man, what a loaded question!

Yes, but probably no. :lmfao: I went helicopters, and loved every minute of it! Flying helicopters is literally all I’ve ever wanted to do with my life, and I knew it from before I could talk (from the stories my parents tell, that’s no lie). Funny enough, a CFI gig is what brought me out here to Indiana! However, with the discovery earlier this year that my cardiovascular system lost the genetics lottery big-time, I don’t know what my chances are of ever flying again will be. We have some tough decisions to make on that front, but at the moment I’m not able to obtain a medical (on nitroglycerin and I have two blockages over 50%, both of which are disqualifying). One blockage is in a tough spot, hence the nitro. If that works, I may be on it for a good while. If it doesn’t, we’re probably looking at bypass as it’s in a high-risk area for a stent. I have a second, “lesser” blockage at 80% in a vein too small to stent, and the cardiologist who reviewed my recent cath said it’s in a spot “that’s never killed anyone” (comforting, huh?), but it would probably still be a no-go even if we fixed the one in the larger vein.

So at the moment, I can fly with someone else who holds a medical/can act as PIC, and that’s it. If I maintain my CFI then I can do BFRs, Commercial training, and will eventually be able to do initial CFI training, but I don’t have enough dual given for that yet. People joke about maintaining their CFI because getting it back is a PITA. For me, if I ever let mine lapse, I’m done. It’s the only thing keeping me in the air (if I can even say that), and if it lapses I can’t get it back (gotta have a medical for the checkride).

My last heli flight was June 28th of this year. I think the heartbreak from knowing what could have been is doing as much damage to my heart as anything else at this point lol. But I’ve met some of the most amazing people because of it, and my current career path (airport manager) wouldn’t have happened without it. We’ll see how long I last, sometimes I’m not sure if staying in is worth it (pay is OK but not great, and the pain of seeing others live their dream when I’ve likely been robbed of mine is tough).

Like I said, loaded question…

Top Bottom