• ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Man, what a loaded question!

Yes, but probably no. :lmfao: I went helicopters, and loved every minute of it! Flying helicopters is literally all I’ve ever wanted to do with my life, and I knew it from before I could talk (from the stories my parents tell, that’s no lie). Funny enough, a CFI gig is what brought me out here to Indiana! However, with the discovery earlier this year that my cardiovascular system lost the genetics lottery big-time, I don’t know what my chances are of ever flying again will be. We have some tough decisions to make on that front, but at the moment I’m not able to obtain a medical (on nitroglycerin and I have two blockages over 50%, both of which are disqualifying). One blockage is in a tough spot, hence the nitro. If that works, I may be on it for a good while. If it doesn’t, we’re probably looking at bypass as it’s in a high-risk area for a stent. I have a second, “lesser” blockage at 80% in a vein too small to stent, and the cardiologist who reviewed my recent cath said it’s in a spot “that’s never killed anyone” (comforting, huh?), but it would probably still be a no-go even if we fixed the one in the larger vein.

So at the moment, I can fly with someone else who holds a medical/can act as PIC, and that’s it. If I maintain my CFI then I can do BFRs, Commercial training, and will eventually be able to do initial CFI training, but I don’t have enough dual given for that yet. People joke about maintaining their CFI because getting it back is a PITA. For me, if I ever let mine lapse, I’m done. It’s the only thing keeping me in the air (if I can even say that), and if it lapses I can’t get it back (gotta have a medical for the checkride).

My last heli flight was June 28th of this year. I think the heartbreak from knowing what could have been is doing as much damage to my heart as anything else at this point lol. But I’ve met some of the most amazing people because of it, and my current career path (airport manager) wouldn’t have happened without it. We’ll see how long I last, sometimes I’m not sure if staying in is worth it (pay is OK but not great, and the pain of seeing others live their dream when I’ve likely been robbed of mine is tough).

Like I said, loaded question…
    Bypass x5 with 3 of those 5 blocked again, multiple catherizations and 4-5 stints in heart, one in the aorta and one in the right femoral artery. Next step is the transplant list. That’s just the cardiac portion of my issues. Don’t even want to get into the spinal fusions and lower back or renal issues.

OP KEEP The 452. :oldwise:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Wow, I talked to some corporate guys who called the medical the "I get to keep my job test". and know the feeling.
    I threw a blood clot to the Kidney, renal infarct, back in 2009 due to afib three months after a fresh 3rd class medical and buying
    ribs and spars to build a Bearhawk four place.
    Of course that meant heart pills and blood thinners. The FAA wanted 12 consecutive months of INR results from blood
    thinners to be submitted along with I forget how much doctor paperwork for a special issuance medical. Since then I've had 4 surgeries in the last 3.5 years. Non of them major including a new hip and knee but still. The option of basic med
    exists but after all the hassle I just lost interest anymore.
    Always thought changing careers to the gas/electric utility was a blessing in disquise. After the renal infarct and surgeries the company docs just looked me over, had me touch my toes and said I'm cleared to go back to work.
    Once in awhile I go up with an instructor who just sits there with his arms folded to be legal.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    OP KEEP The 452. :oldwise:
    I will and thank you for the advice. I was going to take it out today with some newly acquired match ammo but went trap shooting instead.
    Here's my Savage MKII FV SR that I just put the Boyds stock on today that will be the current suppressor host.
    If I like the Boyds stock the 457 At One will be on my radar in addition to the 452.

IMG_20231116_110438073.jpg

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Oh, I do have an adjustable trigger sear on the way for that 452. I've heard that is better to do than a YoDave spring kit.
    Trigger pull on it is over 4lbs and I want to get it down to around 3 or so.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Oh, I do have an adjustable trigger sear on the way for that 452. I've heard that is better to do than a YoDave spring kit.
    Trigger pull on it is over 4lbs and I want to get it down to around 3 or so.
    I did the cheap Ace Hardware spring swap on a few of mine. It’s been a while so I can’t give you exact details but there should be plenty of info floating around the interweb about it.
    If haven’t looked yet try Rimfire Central as well as there are some serious CZ folks over there.

Top Bottom