• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    After looking at pics from previous years, I felt obligated to remind everyone that even though the guns on display have been disabled PLEASE keep your fingers off the trigger. There are cameras everywhere... lets show the world that we are safe and responsible people.

Especially children. I noticed that the media loves pics of kids holding guns at the convention. Lets make sure we can always say that even our children are safer with guns than Carolyn McCarthy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rick Perry approves of this message:

NRA-Leadership-Forum-2013_200507.JPG

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    So when Im picking up a new trigger or looking at a gun to feel what kind of trigger it has and its chained to the display I should stop and think, WWKD? and immediately put it down because some boogyman might be waiting to take a picture?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    So when Im picking up a new trigger or looking at a gun to feel what kind of trigger it has and its chained to the display I should stop and think, WWKD? and immediately put it down because some boogyman might be waiting to take a picture?

Or you could safely point it towards the ground, check it, and then dry fire towards the floor. The point was to encourage people to not waive them around in every direction with your finger on the trigger.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Instinctively, when I picked up a gun to check out the sights my trigger finger was straight out.

But, I did coonfinger a great deal. :):

And as soon as I walked into the hall there was the overwhelming sound of dry firing all over the place. In a hall like that as packed as it was and with concrete floors there's no "safe" direction. So what? All the firearms were safe, many I looked at had firing pins removed. I wasn't going to let a safety martinet ruin my day.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    i was a little annoyed from time to time how many people were just swinging rifles around, pointing them at the crowd, safe or not. it's just kind of rude. i know it's "safe", but it just seems uncalled for. i was pointing things at the ceiling or the floor.

the only thing i saw that really had me shaking my head though, was a girl point a rifle at her boyfriend, husband, what have you, and trying to act all sexy. just standing there pointing it at him forever. if my wife had done that, i think i would've left. her there.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Four Rules are always in effect and ESPECIALLY when you believe "there's no way that this can possibly fire". Accidents happen when we get complacent.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I definitely did not appreciate looking at the business end of a Kimber as the guy was sweeping everyone with it. I put the pistol I was looking at back on the rack and left.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Oh crap I pulled thousands of triggers... then I put those little blue NRA plastic tags on all of them. :):

Seriously though, there was a team of ~40-50 people doing safety checks before the show opened. You just never know what could happen. We paired up and my team found three long guns with active firing pins (Aimpoint, Taylor & Co & Colt booths). I heard another team found a live round in one long gun. I don't know if that gun had an active firing pin though.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I saw a young boy (maybe 10) pick up a pistol holding it sideways to look at it (pointing at everyone beside him) and his mother immediately and swiftly grabbed the end of it and pushed it down towards the floor without saying a word. He obviously understood because he kept that pistol pointed safely downward while he continued to look at it.

I really should have told that mom how awesome she was for immediately correcting her son and how cool it was that he had obviously been taught that before since she didn't have to say a word to him for him to understand what the problem was and not do it again.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Oh crap I pulled thousands of triggers... then I put those little blue NRA plastic tags on all of them. :):

Seriously though, there was a team of ~40-50 people doing safety checks before the show opened. You just never know what could happen. We paired up and my team found three long guns with active firing pins (Aimpoint, Taylor & Co & Colt booths). I heard another team found a live round in one long gun. I don't know if that gun had an active firing pin though.
    Wow, glad they checked them all! With as much attention as the convention got the anti's would have had a hayday with an ND!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I only saw a handful of real egregious rule violations. Like the guy that walked over to check out the Remington R51s, reached around a guy in front of the display, picked up one of the pistols and pointed it right at the back of the guy in front of him. And of course he pulled the trigger while aiming center mass.

I was proud of my wife when she nudged me and said, "that's not very safe. Let's get away from that moron."

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I saw a young boy (maybe 10) pick up a pistol holding it sideways to look at it (pointing at everyone beside him) and his mother immediately and swiftly grabbed the end of it and pushed it down towards the floor without saying a word. He obviously understood because he kept that pistol pointed safely downward while he continued to look at it.

I really should have told that mom how awesome she was for immediately correcting her son and how cool it was that he had obviously been taught that before since she didn't have to say a word to him for him to understand what the problem was and not do it again.

That's great.

Right after I entered the hall I saw a man pick up an autoloading handgun. He pointed it down, locked the slide back, looked in the chamber, put his finger in the chamber, released the slide, then, keeping the gun pointed down, looked at the sight picture and handed the gun to a 8-11 year old looking boy.

The kid took the handgun, keeping it point down, locked the slide back, looked in the chamber, stuck his finger in the chamber, released the slide and keeping it pointed down all the time, looked down the sights and put the gun back on the display. The kid did all that as if he had done it a hundred times and his trigger finger stayed out of the guard the whole time.

I was elated, wanted to start cheering. The coolest part was that the kid had been taught to handle firearms properly and he was being led by example. That's how we win.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I have been through at least 1,000 firearms safety classes, so needless to say I was a bit rattled by all the flagging and dry fires. It sounded like an army of blacksmiths on steroids. I was near the Tarus area for 2 mins before it started driving me loopy. I understand this was a controlled environment, but that does not make flagging crowds of people okay. Maybe I'm just getting too old for stupidity.

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    I cringed and quickly looked for cameras when a Dad handed a Remington 870 pistol grip SG to his 8-10 year old boy who promptly racked it and pressed the trigger 3 or 4 times while waving it around.
    I waved a finger at him and got his Dad's attention who just said, nothing.
    It seemed for every one up, there were 4 down, sad.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I checked every gun and lowered the hammer with my thumb everytime out of habit but if I didn't i would surely be that guy who blew a hole in a booth. While standing at the barrett booth taking pictures I turned around to find a .50 pointed at me and sure enough there was a click that followed me making eye contact with the guy.

Top Bottom