• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Short story.. I mow a little grass as a side job. I have a business that when I'm done, I walk into the office & bear to the left to have the owner write me a ck. They have now installed one of those satellite official U.S. Post office's inside that office. As I walk in the door it is to the right of the door, about 10 ft away . Well my question is wether I should disarm to enter or carry on since I C.C. Input requested.:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How hard do you want to push the rules. Right or wrong they are the rules. Not sure about your area. I would just cover it up while inside.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    That's how I feel. Just cover & go but there definitely seems to be a separation between the office & the post office though not physical. At what point is the bldg not a part of the post office? The post office area takes up about an area about 10x10 square feet

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's how I feel. Just cover & go but there definitely seems to be a separation between the office & the post office though not physical. At what point is the bldg not a part of the post office? The post office area takes up about an area about 10x10 square feet

That leaves a lot to the discretion of whom ever you ended up dealing with I wpould think.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    It sounds like it would be pretty easy to argue that you are not in a post office if anything did ever come of it. Sounds like the odds are slim to none of it ever being an issue though.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    We have a small gun shop and they closed our local post office and wanted to set up shop in our place.. It is not a post office just sells postal supplies so im sure the rules dont apply..

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Can you clarify that it really is a Post Office? It doesn't sound like it, more of a satellite office but without clear boundaries. Do they need to post signs up warning you if they own or rent the area? I would check with a lawyer to be sure, or get them to bring your check outside.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Doesn't sound like a federally owned building to me.

Remember that some full blown post office buildings are leased or rented are not officially owned by the feds.
    Supposedly, you can carry in those. Though I'm not your guinea pig.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Good question! I have no idea. :D
    Does the entire building become a post office?...... Related... maybe... same mindset that was the law regarding schools.
    In the case of schools, the law was that when the school was using a location for a school function carry was forbidden where it was otherwise fine.
    I believe that provision of Indiana law was removed at the same time the law was changed this year to allow guns to be secured in a locked vehicle while on school property.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    If I were in charge of the prosecution it would depend on who owns the space. If the .gov rents space, and actually PAYS to do so then their rules should prevail in that space. Practically speaking, just pull your shirt down and chuckle silently inside at their governmental foolishness.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Here a question not meant to derail....

Has anyone in Indiana been prosecuted for carrying in a post office? While doing no other crime I mean.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's an issue. I've never heard of a Kroger's where one was not able to buy stamps, envelopes, and drop off outgoing mail. Kroger right now is standing up to the Demanding Moms in not disallowing the carry of private arms in their stores. Anyone wanna argue that Krogers that sell mail supplies are abetting the commissions of federal crimes by their armed patrons?

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    It's the latest thing, a Contract Postal Unit.

"A Contract Postal Unit (CPU) is a supplier-owned or supplier-leased site operated by the supplier, under contract to the Postal Service™ to provide postal products and services to the public at U.S. Postal Service prices."

https://about.usps.com/suppliers/becoming/contract-postal-unit.htm

Not a "post office", definitely not federal property.

This ^^^^^ is what I'm dealing with. The bldg is owned by the company I cut grass for. They do take in mail & sell all mailing supplies, boxes, stamps.. So forth. I would kind of think that if a BG were to come in there & shoot the place up, it would fall into federal jurisdiction. Bad for the BG. The owner does not know I carry. & never will if I can help it. I believe I should probably disarm for the 10 min max that I'm in the bldg. I think that would be better than having to deal with the headaches if I were found out.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Here a question not meant to derail....

Has anyone in Indiana been prosecuted for carrying in a post office? While doing no other crime I mean.

Not that I'm aware of. However, this is a federal crime not a state crime and they have prosecuted others in other states for violating this same law. Therefor, although I know of no incidents in Indiana that is really irrelevant. They do prosecute people for this. In fact, they have went as far as prosecuting people who left the guns in their vehicles in the postal parking lot (federal judge overruled them on this though so leaving gun in car is okay now I believe).

I'm also not sure if state, county, or local police can arrest you for this. I believe it would have to be a federal agent or someone with the postal inspectors office.

Top Bottom