• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I suggest not shooting the xxx brands that are double the pricethen. they tend to squirm under your skin and end up in your safe... As far as your original post, if your iffy on it, sell it, buy something interesting, iffy on it sell it and repeat. You will end up with a stable full of guns that you have no desire to sell. I've been getting into custom built stuff lately and it is a dark, expensive, scary path... but the rewards... I'm glad I took a liking to firearms and not alcohol or drugs.

1. Sounds like sound insight from a person who has been there and done that!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I sell few firearms anymore. Always regret the ones that get away. Never mind the money invested (yes he said invested) in them as they keep value well if cared for and unlike a pet require little food water of vet bills. What seems to get me are the expenses in safe or safes. Sell it buy it if it makes you happy keep it.

My guns are for my grandkids grandkids. Just think what it will be like then to get a nice steel and walnut gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I sell few firearms anymore. Always regret the ones that get away. Never mind the money invested (yes he said invested) in them as they keep value well if cared for and unlike a pet require little food water of vet bills. What seems to get me are the expenses in safe or safes. Sell it buy it if it makes you happy keep it.

My guns are for my grandkids grandkids. Just think what it will be like then to get a nice steel and walnut gun.

1. I look and covet everyday.

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    I started getting into firearms late in life. My infatuation started after I retired and started looking for a CCW. It has grown. I started with revolvers, then lever action rifle. Now its semi autos. Will it ever end? I decided that .357 mag. was "my caliber". Another decision I made early was all my purchases would be from the "BIG THREE", S&W-Colt- and Winchester. I do a lot of research to make sure that's what I want before I buy. So far it has worked!!! All keepers- none for sale.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    357 nothing wrong there at all. Colt-smith- Winchester nothing wrong there either.

Needs Smith model 41 22 pistol. Colt diamond back 22 2 inch.

I would add add into company list browning. I have several brownings and find the quality well worth the extra price.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've owned just about every Glock model, and I only have 1 left. The SD9VE has much better ergonomics for most people, points naturally, has readily available metal magazines, uses any M&P night sights and fits in any standard M&P holster. It's also about $150 - $200 less expensive than a Glock. The only thing that most people would say is better is the trigger on the Glock, and that's comparing one Windex spray bottle trigger with another. Having grown up shooting double action revolvers, the trigger on my SD9VE is not a problem. As a bonus, I've never been hit in the face with brass from my SD9VE. (Looking at you, G19)

The SD series of pistols are well regarded and known to be reliable. For someone who is going to maybe put 500 rounds through a pistol in a year and mostly leave it in a drawer for home defense, there is no reason to pay extra for a Glock. If the OP wants a better trigger but still wants an awesome value, the Ruger 9E is available for less than $300. I've got one of those, too, and the trigger is better than a stock Glock trigger IMO. And of course, it feels like a pistol in the hand and not a brick.

If it says Smith & Wesson - keep it. If it doesn't - Sell it....Just kidding (mostly)!

Sell a couple and the upgrade the full size to an M&P 2.0. 100% better firearm.

Or keep them all. That's my motto...

Yeah, the Sigmas were turds. :):

I really like my SD9VE. Would completely trust it as a carry gun, but I like M&Ps better, so mine is currently assigned garage guard duty.

I generally carry some flavor of M&P every day, usually a Shield .45 or a .45 compact. Just picked up a 9mm compact 2.0 that I'm liking quite a bit.

Those are nice S&W's that you've got there!

I'm interested in the 2.0 compact 9MM.
    Have not handled one in person..............yet.

The 2.0 Compacts are nice. I've been all Glock for a long time (though I have adopted various calibers and models of Glock over the years), but I bought an S&W 2.0 Compact when they came out instead of the Gen 5. I shot it a bit, and bought a second one (2 is 1, 1 is none syndrome) and that is now the primary carry gun. I have not rid myself of the Glocks, but primarily carry the 2.0 compact, except when I need the extra concealment of the Glock 43. All that to say, the S&W M&P 2.0's are nice, especially the Compact and should be given some consideration. You can buy one for about $400 too, so that should appeal to the OP.

1. Don't forget: the SD9VE was utterly pristine with 5 magazines for, wait for it: $250 = SWEET!
    2. Sorry. To me, everything is relative to value/$$, and my needs are minimal; I only demand functionality/dependability.
    3. Replacing the SD for a 2.0 is not reducing the # of guns, so I don't get it as heading in the direction of consolidation.
    4. When I get to the range, if Point Bland had the 2.0, I'll rent it and see if does make me want to replace the SD for it.

I agree, everything is relative value, however, I will say that with firearms buying into a platform can be smart. Shared holsters, magazines, etc and having a back up for a carry gun is a good thing. Same everything, waiting to be picked up if needed. Training is simplified, muscle memory, etc.

Now, beyond that, and you know this I'm sure, but buying because the price is good won't get you far, unless you are just looking to flip them. Be selective, figure out what you are after, then wait for the good price to come along. I was in that mode of chasing stuff because the price was good for many years... it doesn't get you anywhere. Guns are not as bad, because they generally hold their value if you buy wisely, but if you have issues letting things go and can't yield the benefit of buying wisely, then buying everything you see at a good price is going to be a problem.

Pick a platform, or pick something as a criteria (if you want to be a collector) and then look for the good prices on the items that make the list based on the criteria, not just shiny object that has a good price tag.

I do a lot of research to make sure that's what I want before I buy. So far it has worked!!! All keepers- none for sale.

That's the key.

Since the OP likes the hunt, I'd suggest coming up with a specific list of firearms that meet whatever his criteria is. Could be 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, 1 particular handgun, etc or it could be a stack them deep list of a particular item. Then start selling what doesn't work into that list, and then start chasing those particular items on your list, knowing what a good deal is on each, and be ready to buy when you see it. That should give some satisfaction over buying a bunch of stuff because it seemed like a better than market price. You will have much less angst on the topic.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am in the same place in life. I sold off a bunch when we moved. Guns, fishing, archery, tools.....

Wonderful to be consolidated and have a mostly empty safe. Should have done it years ago. Sold it all and started over.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The 2.0 Compacts are nice. I've been all Glock for a long time (though I have adopted various calibers and models of Glock over the years), but I bought an S&W 2.0 Compact when they came out instead of the Gen 5. I shot it a bit, and bought a second one (2 is 1, 1 is none syndrome) and that is now the primary carry gun. I have not rid myself of the Glocks, but primarily carry the 2.0 compact, except when I need the extra concealment of the Glock 43. All that to say, the S&W M&P 2.0's are nice, especially the Compact and should be given some consideration. You can buy one for about $400 too, so that should appeal to the OP.

I agree, everything is relative value, however, I will say that with firearms buying into a platform can be smart. Shared holsters, magazines, etc and having a back up for a carry gun is a good thing. Same everything, waiting to be picked up if needed. Training is simplified, muscle memory, etc.

Now, beyond that, and you know this I'm sure, but buying because the price is good won't get you far, unless you are just looking to flip them. Be selective, figure out what you are after, then wait for the good price to come along. I was in that mode of chasing stuff because the price was good for many years... it doesn't get you anywhere. Guns are not as bad, because they generally hold their value if you buy wisely, but if you have issues letting things go and can't yield the benefit of buying wisely, then buying everything you see at a good price is going to be a problem.

Pick a platform, or pick something as a criteria (if you want to be a collector) and then look for the good prices on the items that make the list based on the criteria, not just shiny object that has a good price tag.

That's the key.

Since the OP likes the hunt, I'd suggest coming up with a specific list of firearms that meet whatever his criteria is. Could be 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, 1 particular handgun, etc or it could be a stack them deep list of a particular item. Then start selling what doesn't work into that list, and then start chasing those particular items on your list, knowing what a good deal is on each, and be ready to buy when you see it. That should give some satisfaction over buying a bunch of stuff because it seemed like a better than market price. You will have much less angst on the topic.

1. Much wisdom here in what you've said. I have learned some of it by doing the wrong things already and am trying to be more discerning in purchases.
    2. I have "almost" bought 3-4 different guns in the past few weeks just b/c I thought it was a good buy (Bursa Thunder 22LR: $200, or a Beretta .25 (tip-up): $170, and I could go on).
    3. I have learned I need to narrow my focus, which means I need to get back to the range and try out more guns, but I find it cheaper to buy at a great price (rather than rent),
    and then sell it when I'm done b/c shooting a gun once at the range it not enough for a verdict.
    4. I rented and fired the Smith MP Shield 9mm and dismissed it as being too "heavy," but ended up buying it for a "keeper" many weeks later after testing many others,
    finding out that it "felt" so much better than others to me.
    5. Instead of relying only on my pocket holster, I use my ankle holster even more, which opened up what I could carry a little bit more.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I am in the same place in life. I sold off a bunch when we moved. Guns, fishing, archery, tools.....

Wonderful to be consolidated and have a mostly empty safe. Should have done it years ago. Sold it all and started over.

I sort of did the same. Parred the collection down to what I wanted to keep. Didn't work out for me...bought more. Out of space again and need another safe. Willpower is fleeting...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I sort of did the same. Parred the collection down to what I wanted to keep. Didn't work out for me...bought more. Out of space again and need another safe. Willpower is fleeting...

1. Now that is refreshingly honest, and I really identify, and so funny! :lmfao:
    2. Just when I think I'm done, and ready for a final "cleansing" I get on another hunt for some new genre (well, new to me). :coffee:
    3. What started out to be a CC revolver and a 22LR revolver for the range last May has gotten away from me, and even though I know I can sell quickly, I have such good deals on what I have bought I am in no hurry (after my 9mm frenzy) to divest b/c I'm afraid I'll regret it later.
    4. I found out that I "might" want a different gun for home, then perhaps another for a different room at home, and then different sizes of CC for different......(I think you see where this goes) :laugh:

OutdoorsGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Greenwood
    Decisions decisions...I owned the SD9VE but wasn't impressed so it was an easy decision to part with and replaced it with a Ruger SR9C. I try to keep my guns to minimum b/c the wife wants everything locked up in my safe so there's only so much room. I constantly struggle with wanting more to plink, practice, and compete.

I did recently come across a nice gem. It's a 1982 S&W .357 Mag 2"barrel. It's very nice and the guy gave me an incredible deal. (friend of a colleague) Those type of opportunities you just can't pass by. But I've got an old break action shotgun that only shoots 3" that I might parti with soon. I've thought about taking it, a old .410, and .22 SR to a shop to see what I could get for the 3 of them on a trade for a new Sig for my wife.

As far as cars Toyata vehicles run for ever. We're driving a Sienna now with over 224k miles. You can't beat a Subaru either. My wife and I had one when we were first married 24 years ago. They're still just as reliable but their popularity has driven up their price.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Decisions decisions...I owned the SD9VE but wasn't impressed so it was an easy decision to part with and replaced it with a Ruger SR9C. I try to keep my guns to minimum b/c the wife wants everything locked up in my safe so there's only so much room. I constantly struggle with wanting more to plink, practice, and compete.

I did recently come across a nice gem. It's a 1982 S&W .357 Mag 2"barrel. It's very nice and the guy gave me an incredible deal. (friend of a colleague) Those type of opportunities you just can't pass by. But I've got an old break action shotgun that only shoots 3" that I might parti with soon. I've thought about taking it, a old .410, and .22 SR to a shop to see what I could get for the 3 of them on a trade for a new Sig for my wife.

As far as cars Toyata vehicles run for ever. We're driving a Sienna now with over 224k miles. You can't beat a Subaru either. My wife and I had one when we were first married 24 years ago. They're still just as reliable but their popularity has driven up their price.

1. I can't wait to see what my experience will be with the SD9VE: I had it in my hand when I was checking out all my guns today, comparing it with the Shield 9mm and 45mm, and I did like the larger size.
    2. You are trading in a Ruger SR22? I almost bought one off someone here for $225 before Xmas, but after researching them I decided to go for the Smith Compact MP 22.
    Don't be hesitant to pm me what a cash price would be on it.
    I ask only b/c if you are trading it in, you know you'll get $100 less (or worse) than what they will sell it for.
    3. Your Smith .357 2" falling into your lap is cool; if it is a stainless, I'm jealous!
    4. You must have gotten it for $300 or $350, which even another $100 would have been great!
    5. I thought I kept cars for the long haul, but 24 yrs.: you are my new hero! :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold the Ruger single-action 6 shot 22 today: it was very nice and the best price that I've seen with box, manual, lock and extra magnum cylinder: $300.
    Next on the list is the S/W SD9VE with 5 magazines: I'll be listing it for $300.
    A great gun, pristine condiiton, but I have no need; I bought it to see if I needed a full size 9mm, but I can live with my 9mm or 45mm Shields just fine.
    If I want a full size the 1911 is calling to me, but the price on this was so sweet i had to have my range time with it.
    I only put about 50 rounds through it, that's all I needed to know I'd rather have my smaller Shields.
    I would be putting the ad in today but things are busy and my wife wants me to take her to see, "The Darkest Hour." :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I want to get back to the range to shoot my S/W SD9VE one last time since I have it up for sale and I've had 2 people express interest.
    I'm not much of a salesman. :dunno:
    I told one who offered the usual $20 less that Armlist had a couple for sale, $25 and even $50 cheaper than mine, and if he didn't need the 5 mags, and the other had a Taurus G2 PT111 and wanted another 9mm for his wife.
    I told him the SW MP Shield 9mm would be closer in size to the Taurus he had and pointed out the bigger dimensions of my SD9VE.
    Trying to make sure he was aware of the size difference.

When I'm selling something I always try to steer a person away so they don't waste my time, or I theirs, trying to make sure what I'm selling is what they really want and that the price is real, not inflated, so they don't waste my time in a last minute last offer:
    that would irritate me and I would immediately go home.
    After they give me a counter (when we had decided on a price previous), I just say this gun (or car or MC) isn't what you are looking for, and head to the car.
    You should see them backtrack.
    I have done that on a car and with a MC.
    Once I grabbed the handles of my MC and started pushing it back into the garage (yes, I was irritated:
    it was their 2nd look and they had agreed to my price of 3 weeks earlier): should have seen them apologizing. :ugh:

I don't mind negotiating before meeting to sell: expect it.
    I expect a counter-offer upfront (I always do it myself), but I price where I'm selling b/c I don't inflate the price.
    Maybe a month later I could drop the price and relist the ad if I really want to sell something. (exception was that Ruger LC9 that took me 2 weeks to sell)
    Did I mention I'm not much of a salesman? :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I won't make it back to the range with the SD9VE.
    I sold it after work today, less than 24 hours after listing it on Armslist; I had about 4 people sounding like they were wanting to buy it.
    I put it here on INGO a day earlier and had a couple bites, but .........
    Now when I have time I'll list the Sig Sauer 1911-22, but I know that one will take awhile b/c of a smaller market for one.
    Since I spent $100 upgrading it with the usual upgrades; I might hang on to it since it is in my favorite 22 caliber, but I want to get a Browning 1911-22 from fun.
    The Colt and other 1911-22 pistols aren't even made by the mother company but are made by others, and that puts me off a little.

Top Bottom