• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Again, not trying to get into the OC/CC thing. Just pointing out that anything of high value exposed could make you a target. If that high value item is a gun, it also paints you as a "gun guy." My experience has been that "gun guys" get guns stolen much more often than those that fly under the radar.

For the most part I don't keep anything of value in my car. There's a 100 inverter I paid $20 for and a few cd's I've burned off. Looking in my vehicle you will see there's nothing in there.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    My vehicle is NEVER left unlocked. Its a late model vehicle with a factory alarm. Its not a huge concern of mine. Keeping it on me at all times just isn't realistic

Doesn't matter if it is unlocked or not. Some one will just break your window. My brothers whole street had their cars robbed. His was the only one not locked up, and the only one without a broken window.

My buddy had his car robbed, they took his oakleys, and iPod but didn't check the glove box where his pistol was. So he got lucky on that one. He brings his gun in every night now.

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I keep a cheap CZ82 in the vehicle.... keep it clean and properly lubed.... never had a problem with rust, freezing, or anything else.

(Hope this is not a duplicate post..... thought I posted before but don't see it now)

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If you are going to leave a gun in a car over the winter, make sure your lube/gun oil is going to stand up. A buddy of mine left his carry gun (a 1911) in the car at night while visiting his girlfriend. When he checked on it the next day, the slide was basically glued shut. I imagine you'd get one shot out of it and then it would jam. Once it warmed up again, it was fine, so the issue was clearly the gun oil he had been using.

For me, the gun I have in my car is a stainless S&W .357. It always works no matter the temperature and I've never had an issue with rust.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Nay, parking lot is ok, but must leave it in car, while @ work. Wondered how those that "always have it on them" get around that? LEO, etc is common sense.

The handbook where I work states that employees can not carry firearms while on the clock unless located in a state where it is allowed by law.

I have my LTCH, therefore, I am "allowed by law" to carry. And do. I've been there a year, and nobody has said anything at all to me.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I'm a little late on this thread, but my truck is also ALWAYS locked, and by the time I heard the alarm go off and grabbed another pistol, the pistol that always stayed "safely" locked inside was gone. Evidentally, the thief didn't care about my truck being locked or the alarm going off. Not a good plan.

And I can't count the number of times I've walked back to my car in a VERY public lot downtown, and seen two or three cars with a window smashed out. Plus, the news showed multiple cars that had windows smashed downtown the other day. Locked doors didn't do a thing to even slow down the criminals.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    locking box with a cable affixed to the seat bracket, with dessicant packages thrown in for good measure. sure, its still able to be stolen, but more often than not if its not easy, they won't bother.

otherwise they'd have a job <.<

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You know, tens of thousands of police cars nation wide have a shotgun in them 24/7 and they don't rust away in the rack despite being decades old.

Just saying, I think fears of condensation and temperature cycles are probably overblown.

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I bolted a small handgun safe into the middle console of my car (cover it up with some napkins and spare straws). I keep an old S&W revolver in there. Good for if I stop somewhere on my way to/from work and can grab it out fairly easily. I take it out every few months, check it and clean it. Never rusted and shoots fine.

recon72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I keep a Keltec 380 in mine always and have never had a concern or evidence of rust. I dont think it would be a legitimate problem.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Leaving guns in vehicles is a good way to arm criminals. Guns should be on your person or at home. There are a few exceptions to this such as work (if your work doesn't allow firearms), or if you go some place where it's illegal to have it.

I don't have statistics but it seems to me that more guns get stolen from cars than from houses. I carry a gun on me 100% of the time when I'm not working so I don't see the need to have another pistol left in the car. Just my opinion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom