• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Guns are inanimate objects and have no sentimental value to me.
    One school of thought is never get rid of any gun you acquire.
    I am NOT of that thinking.
    I've got rid of a few guns that are uncomfortable to shoot. I'm not a collector or hoarder.

Well, I kinda have an unofficial policy of not selling guns. Maybe more an OCD-ish kind of thing because I'm afraid I'll regret selling something I could start liking. My last range experience reinforces that idea. For example my M&P C.O.R.E. has sat in the safe for a while. I don't even remember the last time I shot it before my last range trip. I just couldn't really see a purpose for it.

But I took it to American Shooters a couple of days ago (the awesome new range in Clarksville) just to have something different to shoot, and I actually had a lot of fun with it. I almost put it in the classifieds a few weeks ago, but decided I'd take it to the range next time. Then when next time came I was glad I didn't sell it.

Another gun I've considered selling is my Ruger SR22. I haven't shot it in a couple of years. I bought it when my son turned 12, thinking he might like it. He's 17 now and goes to the range with me rarely. Just never developed much interest in shooting it or anything else. I never really liked shooting the SR22 myself because having meaty hands, I have to grip it lower so I don't get hammer bite. But I brought it along with me the other day just for something different to shoot, and I had a lot of fun with it. It's not as much fun as the Victory, but it's like I couldn't miss what I was aiming for with it.

Now I can't imagine selling either of those guns.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    What I have done is go back and buy a gun I previously got rid of because I didn't like shooting it. Why? Because, like the first time I bought it, it best fits a certain requirement. I have done this with snub nose revolvers and with the Polish P-64. I don't like shooting either one but they are both good "pocket" guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a Garand that was so much fun the shoot. The recoil(more like a push), they clink of the Enbloc ejecting, it was neat. But after I did a 2-day shoot with it, I realized that my eyes are too old for those peep sights and I liked shooting my AR much better.

So I sold it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I am kind of with ggreen on this.
    Most people can be sentimental about certain types of material possession. For me, with guns it is either something passed down through friend or family or a gun I took on a special hunt. My defensive arms are tools. No sentiment, will trade up for better or a newer model without a thought, AS LONG AS I SHOOT IT WELL. If I have a weapon that I don't shoot well or like shooting, it would have to be going up in value astronomically to keep it.

Here is the test: take the thing in your hands and manipulate it. If it gives you JOY, keep it. If you feel conflicted or anything other than joy, sell it and you will be happier.

Top Bottom