• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I ran across an app to keep track of your firearms and accessories (Guntrack), and was wondering if anybody uses this app, and if not, what does everyone use? Pen & paper, Excel, no records means wife doesn't know?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a spreadsheet saved in my personal files. Mainly so that if I die my wife will know how much the stuff is worth and won't get fleeced. Not that I have that much nice stuff; I just wanted to make it easy if I'm not around.
    This. Due to the old saying "My biggest fear in death is that my wife will sell my guns for what I told her what I paid, not what they are worth." :):

I do the same. With a notation for the stripped receivers so I know which ARs have the option of being pistols and which ones dont. (stupid, stupid ATF rule)

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I have a spreadsheet saved in my personal files. Mainly so that if I die my wife will know how much the stuff is worth and won't get fleeced. Not that I have that much nice stuff; I just wanted to make it easy if I'm not around.
    This is one reason I know I need to do an inventory, they other is if anything is stolen, I have a good and descriptive record.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I found a form online somewhere called Firearm Record Sheet. It lists the manufacturer, serial number, scope & scope serial number (if any), caliber, barrel (length, stainless, etc), purchased from, date & price, accessories, comments on Firearm, additional comments, sold to, and date. Takes half a page, so I have 2 records per sheet. I just fill in the blanks by hand. Occasionally update.

I understand the ease of keeping it on computer or thumb drive, I'm sure it's much easier to update and occasionally print to keep in the safe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fair warning. Just don’t store your document or photos in google docs/drive. Google was caught using OCR to record firearm serial numbers in photos and documents stored on peoples drives.

I think they originally intended to showcase what their OCR technology was capable of, but in the process pissed off a bunch of people.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Some years ago when the wife and I started acquiring firearms I started a Word document with a paragraph or more on each firearm. Since some of these firearms were WWII bring backs by my Dad I added as much history as I knew about each one. I did not include values or purchase prices but did include the acquisition dates and where or whom they were purchased from.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I record and have photos of all my firearms, pics with serial #'s if available also, stored on thumb drives that have duplicates. Believe me in does come in handy to have all the info and pics if you ever need to make a theft, lost or stolen claim!!!!!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I found a form online somewhere called Firearm Record Sheet. It lists the manufacturer, serial number, scope & scope serial number (if any), caliber, barrel (length, stainless, etc), purchased from, date & price, accessories, comments on Firearm, additional comments, sold to, and date. Takes half a page, so I have 2 records per sheet. I just fill in the blanks by hand. Occasionally update.

I understand the ease of keeping it on computer or thumb drive, I'm sure it's much easier to update and occasionally print to keep in the safe.
    Basically what I do. Can't remember where I got the form from tho. I've had hard and thumb drives fail, nothing to hack, and doesn't need electricity. One copy in the safe, another outside the house. I also take a pic of the serial and manufacturer's marks and print those to attach to the main page. If I sell a gun, those pages get used to start the grill.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I use an Access database to record my guns and airguns. An Excel spreadsheet to record my load data, chronograph results, primer & bullet inventory, best performing 22lr ammo for each rimfire gun, OAL measurements for bottleneck cartridges, slugged barrel dimensions, etc.

I don't think a generic app can encompass all the data you want to record better than one you personalize yourself. The concerns for cloud storage and what info the app shares are also another reason to do your recording where your data will be safe(er) from prying eyes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I too use a spreadsheet. Firearm make and model, serial number, price paid, current value, picture.

I also put a note when sold. No other data, just that I don't have it anymore.

I should like Whip does record load data but so far I just use paper/pen in a notebook on my reloading table. I only load 9mm and tend to stick to one load recipe so it's not like I have a lot of data to maintain. :)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I keep a flash drive updated with good pictures, serial numbers, description and estimated value for the gardener in case of demise. She also knows who to see about disposing of them.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I should like Whip does record load data but so far I just use paper/pen in a notebook on my reloading table. I only load 9mm and tend to stick to one load recipe so it's not like I have a lot of data to maintain. :)
    At one point I reloaded 26 different cartridges, each cartridge had multiple loads depending on the gun and the purpose. A total of 87 different loads. I have 14 different loads for 38 Special alone. I don't load some cartridges much anymore since I don't shoot them very often, but it's good to have the data if I ever need a specific load.

Top Bottom