• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I spent my first 15 years of my hunting life freezing to my stand. I would like to spare my kids this experience...anyone have any old time tested tricks to keeping kids warm on stand? Hand warmers check, good socks check, layers check...offer me up some trail magic.
    Thanks

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    You covered the easy ones.

As I do for myself, I make sure that I do not work up a sweat or extra heat getting to my stand. If I know that there is a chance, I pack in my outer layer clothes such as jacket, sweatshirt, overalls/bibs, and if possible don't wear hat and gloves in. When I get to my stand, I take a min or two to get everything ready to go up into my stand while I cool off. Then I get finished getting dressed and get up in my stand.

If Possible, don't have them put the warmers in their boots until right before light.

Bring a foam cushion or some kind of insulated cushion for them to sit on while in the stand.

When it is bitter cold out, my feet seem to get cold more than the rest of my body, I have found that if I stand for 2-3 minutes, either from the blood rushing to my feet or the pressure on my feet, they seem to warm up.

Also, anything you can do to block the wind, like something that wraps around the stand to include the backside helps. Even a blanket. Just make sure you use the scent blocker on it the night before.

Look forward to what the others have to suggest as I have young children that I hope to take with me in the next few years.
    Good luck.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    All the above, only to add that I have worn my rain poncho in the stand as a windbreak also. Took a couple cheapie rug squares, cut in two halves for under my feet vs metal platform. Use the washroom before you walk out. Insulaled sit on cushion saves you too.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Kinda expensive but I have also used the heated insoles. These are battery operated, have a remote to turn on and off and are rechargeable. They are nice but do take up extra room in your boot. They are nice as you don't have to turn them on until you want them on. They can last 4hrs on the medium setting. They are made by thermacell but there are other brands out there. Also You can look at the battery operated heated socks but they don't look comfortable

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    The three things that I have learned that have helped the most...

1. Buy a hand warmer muff, the deal that straps around your waist you can put your hands into. Like the quarterbacks use in football. I bought once from gander mountain and I take two of the Hot Hands body warmers size warmers and throw them in there. I then wear a thin pair of gloves only and my hands stay toasty all day long. Plus, I also have better feel of my bow or gun.

2. A moisture wicking liner sock is a must followed by a nice medium thick pair of wool socks. I made the mistake early on in using a giant wool sock which did two things. It made my feet sweat and it took up so much room in my boot there was no room for the air to circulate. Don't go too heavy on the sock and your feet will actually stay warmer.

3. Go to walmart and buy a camo bomber style cap that snaps below the chin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is so many more options available today than when I was a kid. Thermals/layers/materials etc.
    For me blocking the wind out is key. Exposed skin covered.

And the Yeti Thermos is a serious plus...:)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Untie, and loosen, the laces of boots once you are in place where you're gonna stay longer than about 20 minutes.

Make sure that ALL winter footwear and gloves are loose and non-restrictive. With boots, the toes needs to be able to wiggle freely (both up/down, side-to-side) in as many socks as will be worn at the coldest. Gloves need to be loose-ish on the fingers, and loose at the wrist, and no cuffed sleeves unless they are suitably loose.

Also, don't wear any of that high-speed, low-drag stetchy BS like Underarmor, etc...spandex is for lots of things, but the cold deer woods isn't one. All that stretchy stuff does is restrict capillary flow, and look cool at that gas station you shouldn't be wearing camo to in the first place.

If possible, make sure their waistband/belt is also loose, or at lease loosened once in place on a stand/blind, etc.

Really, the same circulatory advice can be followed anywhere on the body...

Biggest tenet: Keep the torso, head, and upper legs REALLY warm, and all the rest will happily take care of itself. Even at 0-degrees, unless I am wet, or wind is getting through the clothes, I am comfortable as long as my core stays warm and my toes aren't cramped up.

Last thing: don't be afraid to let them feel some discomfort. Maybe not as much as you did in blue jeans and a hoodie, but this isn't video games in the living room...it's hunting. Outdoors.

-Nate

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have to disagree with the Underarmor. The compression fit actually keeps me warmer. Really doesn't restrict blood flow. Everyone in my family said how much it made staying in the woods even better. Most were wearing thermals prior. You should be able to comfortably move and it does not restrict movement. If it does, it is too tight/small.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Have to disagree with the Underarmor. The compression fit actually keeps me warmer. Really doesn't restrict blood flow. Everyone in my family said how much it made staying in the woods even better. Most were wearing thermals prior. You should be able to comfortably move and it does not restrict movement. If it does, it is too tight/small.

I have issues with compression fit. HATE clothes that ride into my pits!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I deer hunt annually in Wisconsin. I've hunted in -17 Fahrenheit. For your Southern boys that means you have to wear a hat. And the key to staying warm in a deer stand is to have a really, really good hat.

I bought a fur hat and it is the single best thing I ever did. It's one of those Russian looking things with the fold up/tie up flaps on the sides. Beaver fur. I pull a blaze orange balaclava over it so some of you crazy deer hunters don't spot that fur and take a pop shot.

Made all the difference. Also a good muff is a really good idea as are a good pair of pac boots.

One piece of advice. Walk back to the stand as slowly as possible so as not to heat up. I used to be young and excitable and hoof it back in the dark quickly thinking the extra heat would keep me warmer but all it does is start the sweat and then your done.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    As you mentioned, put in foot warmers prior to going out. Cotton sock layer first to absorb sweat, then wool. Make sure boots are not too tight. It restricts movement and internal circulation. Hunting mittens are an option. Fleece layers seem to also be a great thermo layer. My motto is you can always take a layer off but cannot put one on if you don't have one. I'll second foam seats. Not for my soft behind but for the insulating of sitting on cold stand or board or ?.

YMMV. Good luck to the kids!

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I would have to respectfully disagree with cotton as a first layer. When damp or wet, cotton provides no insulation value and will just make the cold feeling worse. Just remember the saying "cotton kills". Put on a wicking type sock liner and then a good wool sock or two depending on temps and wiggle room in the boots.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I would have to respectfully disagree with cotton as a first layer. When damp or wet, cotton provides no insulation value and will just make the cold feeling worse. Just remember the saying "cotton kills". Put on a wicking type sock liner and then a good wool sock or two depending on temps and wiggle room in the boots.

Agree 100%. "Cotton kills" is said for a reason.

-Nate

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'll go with that. I had a terrible dermatitis problem with my feet earlier in the year. Hot feet in cotton sox in work boots. Nasty. Doc treated the dermatitis problem and put me in wool sox. Problem solved almost overnight.

Top Bottom