• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I once sold a socket set because I had 2 of them then later on I discovered I needed an extra socket from it and since then I’ve hoarded tools. I like to learn how to do things on my own so I’ll buy tools if I think there’s a possibility I’ll use it in the future. I hate hiring “professionals” to cobble stuff up so I might as well try to figure it out on my own.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I once sold a socket set because I had 2 of them then later on I discovered I needed an extra socket from it and since then I’ve hoarded tools. I like to learn how to do things on my own so I’ll buy tools if I think there’s a possibility I’ll use it in the future. I hate hiring “professionals” to cobble stuff up so I might as well try to figure it out on my own.

I really have no idea how folks can afford to pay others to do everything.
    In this I have learned to do everything I might need to do in this life as to home/auto maint. etc.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    In this I have learned to do everything I might need to do in this life as to home/auto maint. etc.

Bingo. Needing tools for work, more and more, I've added substantially to my already decent tool collection. The downside is duplicates or is that tool at work or home?

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Gave my timing light to a friend who is building an old school street rod. But all of my older tools I my need again someday. Just a few days ago I used my old feeler gauge to check space between the forcing cone and cylinder on a S&W revolver. Gauge is at least 40 yrs old.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bingo. Needing tools for work, more and more, I've added substantially to my already decent tool collection. The downside is duplicates or is that tool at work or home?

Same issues when I was still in my service truck. I has 2 complete sets of hand/power tools. I have split up some of those with the kids but still maintain a serious set of hand tools along with all the special pieces I find need for.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County

I don’t either. A couple years as I was just learning how to do electrical work, my in laws hired a guy to run wire and hook up some lights in their barn. $800 bill! The wire wasn’t run in conduit, cheap $2 lights, and not much wire was used. My FIL knows how to do it but he’s paralyzed and can’t get in the barn.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I know. Wouldn't you love to know how much money you've saved yourself over a lifetime of DIYing?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I know. Wouldn't you love to know how much money you've saved yourself over a lifetime of DIYing?

I know a guy that's cost himself at least 4x the amount IF HE WOULD HAVE HIRED THE TASK OUT instead of a DYI.
    It got to the point I couldn't / wouldn't help him out anymore. I couldn't fix all his **** ups. He could destroy sand. He ruined his roof, stripped his plumbing, etc. Some people shouldn't own tools but I can guarantee you this.... that guy can still tear **** up.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, a metric ton of the stuff. Anvils, hammers, hand planes and drills...they will all work long after the EMP has shut society down :tinfoil:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've got an old John Deere garden tractor that I'll never get rid of. Thing weighs 1000lbs, and is soooooooo much more machine than these new ones. Its shaft driven To the hydro pump. Only belt on it is the deck belt. To replace it with a new similar quality deere would be $6000 or more. 10 times the money I have in the old one.

I beat it like a rented mule and it never hesitates to perform.

I've also got dad's Old McCullough chainsaws. Magnesium cases. No chainbrake. No epa muffler. Torque for days. No fun to carry all day, but loud as hell and fun to run once in a while.

Old iron ftw.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have my grandfather's hand tools. He built his house with them. Hand planes, crank drill, brace and bits, a couple of saws, and various other hand tools. Not a power cord in the bunch. I still use them on occasion.

I also have tons of older automotive tools. Dwell meter, timing lights, etc... Then again, I have also owned cars that still need tools of that vintage, and I intend to buy more at some point (cars and tools).

I'm slowly inheriting my FIL's woodworking tools. Most were purchased from Sears in the 1950's and 60's.

I need more space! My little garage is more storage than workspace.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I had a deal with my wife that I got to keep half of what a contractor would have charged each time I did something myself. Unfortunately, I was doing so much, we couldn't afford to keep doing it.:)

Here in Bloomington, the trades have a great gig. They can pick the jobs they want to do, charge what they want and even fail to show up or do quality work.

So with few exceptions I do everything myself. So if I need a tool, I buy it. Still much less than hiring someone to do the job.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a deal with my wife that I got to keep half of what a contractor would have charged each time I did something myself. Unfortunately, I was doing so much, we couldn't afford to keep doing it.:)

Here in Bloomington, the trades have a great gig. They can pick the jobs they want to do, charge what they want and even fail to show up or do quality work.

So with few exceptions I do everything myself. So if I need a tool, I buy it. Still much less than hiring someone to do the job.

And when that project is done you still have the tools.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got an old John Deere garden tractor that I'll never get rid of. Thing weighs 1000lbs, and is soooooooo much more machine than these new ones. Its shaft driven To the hydro pump. Only belt on it is the deck belt. To replace it with a new similar quality deere would be $6000 or more. 10 times the money I have in the old one.

I beat it like a rented mule and it never hesitates to perform. .

I've got a 1968 Bolens. I mow every week with it, snowblow with it, If I need something tilled, Yep the Bolens.
    I bought the tractor, deck, snowblower, rototiller, push blade, and a roller for $350 a few years ago. Love the tractor.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Could hand them down to a young man and train him(or her) proper usage?

Morgan88

Don’t know anyone young ones willing to be a do-it-yourselfer. Me, I have hired guys to do work just so I can watch them to do it later for my self. Now days I watch U-tube or this old house lol. So yeah I will someday give sell my tools in an estate auction. No idea how much I have saved over the years but I have a lot of satisfaction knowing the job has been done right.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My most prized possessions are the hand tools I inherited from my Grandfather. He was a straddle truck mechanic at Timken for 45 years. Every 3 years he got a complete new tool set. Those tools are kept separate from the other cheap current stuff they are making.

Top Bottom