• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am looking for someone who knows if a 2nd Gen P-32 grip will fit a 1st Gen pistol. The Hammer Block was redesigned in the 2nd Gen guns, which solves a problem the trigger has, where it slips out of half-cock & lightly falls on the firing pin if the trigger is not fully released before it's pulled again.

I Emailed Kel-Tec about the problem. They told me to fully release the trigger before firing follow-up shots. Of course, why didn't I think of that? Anyway, that is great while target practicing, but in a defensive situation, I might not shoot or operate the weapon as competently as I do at the range. If the hammer falls from the half-cock position and doesn't set the chambered round off, I'd need to rack the slide, eject the live round onto the floor, and try again. Unacceptable in my opinion for a defensive firearm.

Their second Email told me to send in the gun and they will update the Hammer Block for me, then tell me how much it will cost since I am not the original owner of this gun. Selling Kel-Tecs voids the warranty. They tell me the Hammer Block is not designed to be removed and if I try it myself, I will likely not be able to install the new one. I am not wanting to mail them the gun so they can keep it for several weeks then charge me for the work, especially when it looks like the 2nd Gen Hammer Block comes already installed in the new grips they sell.

All I need to know is if I buy their new grip, will the 1st Gen frame fit in the 2nd Gen grip? Someone out there has to know this.

If you don't know which Generation gun you have, the ones that have a flat top to the slide and the exposed screw holding the extractor on the side of the slide are 2nd Gen guns. The ones that have a more traditional looking extractor and the top of the slide is shaped more like the roof of your house, you have a 1st Gen gun.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The hammer block is in the grip? It doesn't have a firing pin block in the slide? That is very odd. It sounds like a craptastic design. Why would it need a hammer block safety if it has a FP block? And if it doesn't have a FP block, then it can fire if dropped or slammed hard enough (it must have a strong FP spring).

Maybe you should just get a new gun, except in 9mm :) Yaya, don't be a hater, you knew someone would say it!

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe you should just get a new gun, except in 9mm :) Yaya, don't be a hater, you knew someone would say it!

lol. My Glock 23 doesn't ride in my pocket as well as the P-32. I'm sure the 1st Gen guns passed the drop test, but they don't pass the trigger pull test. I actually still carry this gun because the only other things I have similar to it's size are .22 magnum NAA revolvers or a derringer. Even with the trigger problem, it's a bette rcarry gun than those are. Larger guns are not possible for me to carry most of the time. Plus I actually don't like carrying guns. Don't like carrying anything extra on me actually, but I do religiously carry a gun. I'd just like for the thing to work properly.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Please, do tell.

"If you don't know which Generation gun you have, the ones that have a flat top to the slide and the exposed screw holding the extractor on the side of the slide are 2nd Gen guns. The ones that have a more traditional looking extractor and the top of the slide is shaped more like the roof of your house, you have a 1st Gen gun."

From what I've read, the original guns used a traditional extractor and the slides were made from hexagonal bar stock, which is why the top of the slide is pointed. The 2nd generation slides were made from square bar stock, making the top of the slide flat, and have an easier to manufacture extractor that costs less to produce. Also from what I've read, and from talking to others who own Kel-Tecs, the hammer block was redesigned because of the trigger problem that I'm having. Everyone who I've spoken to so far, some have several Kel-Tecs in 32 380 and 9mm, have this same problem with their first gen models but do not have the problem with their second gen guns. I also had a brand new PF-9 that did not have this problem and it's hammer block was the second gen design. I don't know when Kel-Tec went into business or when they redesigned their guns. All I know is that they did redesign their guns and from what I've found it was redesigned in order to save money on materials, manufacturing and to fix a problem the guns had. I just need to know that if I spend the $40 on a new grip, which has the mag release and hammer block already installed, if it'll fit on the frame of my 1st gen P-32.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    UPDATE:

Kel-Tec emailed me today and told me to order the new grip by phone because the website is only selling 2nd generation grips. That tells me the grips for the 1st and 2nd generation are different and not interchangeable. At least where the P32 is concerned.

Top Bottom