• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    Out of the first 250 rounds I had 47 FTF's, all of them were light primer hits. Had several stick on the feed ramp even though it was polished. When I was shooting my personal protection rounds (Win Ranger Talons) It would not strip the next round out of the Mag, and no I wasn't limp wristing it. I was getting the FTFires from the first mag on and through 4 brands of ammo. Kel Tec has had it for two weeks now so I hope I get it back pretty quick. I like the gun and the feel, but I got to trust it.

I hear ya, I know many people believe the "break in period" is bunch of cowpie, and maybe it is, I don't know. The fact is, an item used for protection of life should work the minute you need it or don't, regardless.
    I won't lie, I did have problems rite out the box, and who wants that? Not me. I put a lot of rounds through it before I figured loose retaining pins and screws were also a potential issue.
    She's a bit "snappy" but i've since added the screws to the frame (from the belt clip, I used loctite), added a hogue grip(this helped with bite to my hand, that serrated back strap is sharp), and had to re-tighten the extractor screw (with loctite). Many series of events with this gun while shooting on occasion and adding this or that (screws,grip, etc.) Man now that I think about it, that really sucked! Oh well, I must like the abuse,.... I'm happy now.
    I hope it works out for you.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Good on ya! Post some pics of the mag release job if you could, I had the same problem when I first got, I don't seem to release the mags accidentally anymore, maybe I subconsciously trained myself , maybe it was the mag-finger-grip-extension-thing.
    :dunno:
    Here ya go:

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

Last edited:

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    Spencer rifle, looks good! Thanks for posting pics, I was determined to find others that had similar issues but solutions , I often find that here on INGO, thanks again.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    One year update:

Things have gone downhill between my PF-9 and me. The more rounds I put through it, the worse the failures to extract became. I was shooting your standard Wallyworld Federal ball ammo, but it still had problems.

I thought maybe it was the extractor. I tightened the extractor and used loctite to make sure it stayed. I also bought some Winchester ball.

This past weekend, I took it out to the parent's pasture to see how it would run. First couple of mags did fine and my hopes rose. Then the problems began again. Fail to extract. Stovepipe. Rounds flipping up out of the magazine. Every single magazine had an issue.

I've lost confidence in this handgun. The only reason I still carry it is because it's the only pocket pistol I have, but I have to treat it like a single shot musket. The follow up shots may or may not be there when I need them and that's a terrible feeling. There doesn't seem to be any miracle cures for this issue. Looks like I got a lemon.

I'll probably unload it at a loss and start looking at other options. Ruger LC9 or Kahr PM9 have caught my eye, but it'll take some time to save up the money. The loss I take on my PF-9 certainly doesn't help matters there.

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    That sucks, sorry to here it.

Mine is still here and still going strong. I stocked up on some PMC and pretty much have been using that brand for a while.

With the exception of one time this year, its been "bang" every squeeze.

The exception: I did have one time when I went with my Siblings and it FTF/FTE several times, but everytime I sqeezed the trigger it went bang, I told them to get a better grip.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Sorry to here that your PF-9 is giving you problems. I have had mine for years now and it's working well. But I had to work on it to get it there.

I can tell you that some of the extractors were not properly hardened. So the edge of the extractor will dull and not bite the rim of the case as hard as needed.

If you e-mail KelTec and explain your problems, they will mail you a new extractor, extractor spring, and screw free of charge. And they are usually pretty quick about mailing warrenty parts. The few times I needed them, I had all my parts within a week. Then when you install the new parts, put on both the old and the new extractor springs. It seems that after a new claw and 2 springs, Failure to Extracts go away.

And always feel free to join the Keltec Owners Forum.

KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum

I am a member there also. They are good people and helped me to get my PF-9 in reliable working order. And it's been dead nuts reliable for about 2 years and 1200 rounds or so. I usually run a box of ammo thru it each month.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Thank you for the responses.

Like the both of you, I have a friend who has had no problems whatsoever. It was his evaluation that influenced my purchase of this weapon. My own experience has not been good. (Reading the posts on KTOG, poor performance seems to be a common issue.)

Thanks for the suggestion about the email and the KTOG link. It's worth a shot to try to get this thing up and running properly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Thank you for the responses.

Like the both of you, I have a friend who has had no problems whatsoever. It was his evaluation that influenced my purchase of this weapon. My own experience has not been good. (Reading the posts on KTOG, poor performance seems to be a common issue.)

Thanks for the suggestion about the email and the KTOG link. It's worth a shot to try to get this thing up and running properly.

Sorry to hear you've been having problems. While I did get a Beretta Nano in single stack, I've had my P11 for several years and have not had any problems with it. It's been a highly reliable pistol for me

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I always OC, but I do carry a PF9 in the pocket as a BUG. Also, when I'm at work, I do carry one concealed. Easy to hide, and a reasonable abount of firepower. I carry Golden Saber 124 gr. +P, and a spare mag with the same. Bites my hand like a madman, but it's there if I need it.

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    im glad some people have had good luck with the PF-9. i went out and bought the OD green one. Something in the OD paint made my hand swell up. so i took it back to the place i bought it(sniper Co.) and they flipped it no questions asked for a black grip. took it out and i couldnt hit a target at 5 feet. its accuracy was so horrid, that and it jammed ever other round. I contacted KelTech the sent me a box, i sent it back. they said there was a bad twist in the barrel and that was my issue, the buffed my feed ramp and sent it back. i took it out a week after i got it and same issues with accuracy. i ended up selling it for $150 just to get rid of it. I like KelTech as a brand but i guess they just dont like me. good riddance is all i have to say to mine, im happy you didnt get stuck with a lemon.

Just as a note i did break it in 300 rounds all problems with it.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    ....Just as a note i did break it in 300 rounds all problems with it.

I thought things would smooth out the more rounds I put through my PF-9, but it actually got worse. About 400 rounds later and it keeps jamming.

I called Kel Tec yesterday. They're sending me a new extractor. If that doesn't work, I'll send back the slide and barrel to let them finagle with it.

As it is, I'm starting to save my pennies for an upgrade.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    I had the opertunity to shoot one a few days ago. And they are snappy but no means uncontrollable. And I was impressed with the accuracy at intended ranges. Im thinking of getting one they are super light and slim. It would make a great summer gun to replace some of my smaller ones and would have 9mm fire power.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I seriously considered the PF9 but after coonfingering one and a P11, I'm gonna go for the P11. I prefer the slightly larger body and double stack 10 round mag.

I have a P3AT as a pocket or backup gun. I'be OC'ing the P11 (once I get it)..

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I've owned the PF9 now for about 18 months, & have only 1 problem & that was a stovepipe with one of my reloads, other wise factory loads work just fine. I have 200 rounds through it. The only problem is accuracy. I can shoot my SAO Sig P238 alot better than the PF9 DAO. Maybe I need to shoot the PF9 more, & I understand there is a difference of 9MM compared to 380. I just can't seem to master the DA. If I don't start shooting it better it may be up for sale.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I've owned the PF9 now for about 18 months, & have only 1 problem & that was a stovepipe with one of my reloads, other wise factory loads work just fine. I have 200 rounds through it. The only problem is accuracy. I can shoot my SAO Sig P238 alot better than the PF9 DAO. Maybe I need to shoot the PF9 more, & I understand there is a difference of 9MM compared to 380. I just can't seem to master the DA. If I don't start shooting it better it may be up for sale.

my kel tec 380 has a similar DAO trigger.. accuracy for me was atrocious until i figured out a couple things. My gun only had a couple hundred rounds through it when i bought it and since feb I've blown at least 100 rds/mo through it and am very comfortable (and 'kinda' accurate) with it..

There is a bit of finesse to shooting the kel tec stuff w/ their triggers. You either love 'em or hate 'em. I learned to stop 'pre-loading' the trigger.. I would take and hold my aim (w/ the not too usable sights on the 380) while slowly squeezing back the trigger.. trying to anticipate when the hammer would fall.. it didn't take long (as I squeezed) but seemed like an eternity.

What I began doing was taking aim, and very 'matter of fact'-ly squeezing the trigger all the way back to the frame. My aim improved considerably.

The other thing I noticed, my sights have me shooting low and to the left (might be my grip?).. I'm adjusting for that..

Figure out the finesse on the trigger and I think the PF9 will grow on you as my 380 did on me.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    ....If you e-mail KelTec and explain your problems, they will mail you a new extractor, extractor spring, and screw free of charge...

As you recommended, I contacted Kel-Tec and they sent me a new extractor, with spring and screw. It worked like a charm. No more failure to extract or eject. I still had some fail to feed, but it was related to the Winchester White Box ammo, the Federal fed without a problem. I am very glad to have a weapon that I know will work...at least for now.

That said, I'm still saving my pennies for an upgrade. Once I have enough saved up, I'll probably sell the PF9, but at least I can do so now with a clean conscience. It works and I don't have to be evasive about it.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    It's almost Halloween, so it's time to exhume this zombie thread.

I finally dumped the PF-9 at a gun show at the Van. County 4H grounds a couple of weeks ago, along with some .45 LC ammo I no longer had a handgun for. Combined with the money I saved, I called around the local gun shops asking for a Ruger LC9. Not a single shop I called around Evansville had one, nor could they order me an LC9. Apparently they can be difficult to find.

So I called up Gander Mountain in Evansville and sure enough, they had them in stock for about $20 more than I would've paid in my usual gun shop. I said "what the hey" and bought one. (The place was packed. I couldn't believe how many people were looking at and buying guns.)

Got to shoot it yesterday and, man, I was impressed. This handgun is head and shoulders above the old PF-9. Better built, much less felt recoil and not one problem with 50 rounds through it. Winchester White Box, Wally World Federal bulk pack, and Federal American Eagle ball. All good.

I know, I know. Put a few hundred more rounds through it and see what happens. I will shoot it more and if I have problems, I'll let you know. But for now I'm very much relieved to have a reliable carry weapon. Good job Ruger!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom