• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Does anyone on the site own or have shot one of these sub-compacts? I have been gazing, fondling and groping one down at KS&E and would like to hear opinions from the board. It obviously is not a target pistol but how accurate is it and how reliable etc? Thanks for all the info in advance.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    PF-9 works fine

I've had my PF-9 for maybe 9 months, and it is my primary cc when I do carry. It fits nicely in most pockets, or iwb, depending on pants or shorts. I've had it to the range several times, and ran a variety of ammo brands through it with no problems - fmj and hp all functioned fine. I wanted to make sure it was reliable prior to carrying, and I was pleased with results. I did have a few light primer strikes when using some reloaded ammo from a friend, but that ammo also had the same issue when I shot it out of my Ruger P95, so I think the primers were seated too deep?

Accuracy is not bad, and I am a bad shot. It grouped fairly well but was high and left out of the box. For me, a fist-sized group at 7 yards is fine, and it will do that. The sights are adjustable, but I have not tinkered with them yet. It is not unpleasant to shoot for me. I much prefer this at the range compared to the smaller P3AT. I did put on the small Hogue hand-all (?) grip, and that helped to make it more comfy in the hand.

It is not not the prettiest gun on the market, but the thing that attracted me was the slimness and light weight. And it is not too small for my hands to grip (like the 3AT.) And the price is nice. So overall, I'm very pleased.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The size and thickness difference is so little compared to the P11, that I find the P11 a much better setup. I think it is just over 0.1" thicker and slightly smaller in other dimensions. You get a 10+1 gun, instead of a 7+1 gun. Trigger pull on the P11 is long.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good price, lots of add on du-dads (like belt clips, mag extensions), etc... Much better (shorter, plus shorter reset) than it's larger capacity P-11 brother, VERY slim pistol.

They are a touch raucus in the recoil department, feeling almost .40ish in snap than 9mm. As stated before, addition of tape or rubber can lessen the shock of the round from that gun. Without it, you develop a pretty bad shake from shooting it.

Accuracy is pretty darn good for that gun of that size. I was getting WWB where I needed it to be, but it's not a match gun, the trigger and general ergonomics do not allow for that.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I bought one early this summer. Nice and thin, better trigger than the P-11 and a good price point. I carried mine when I was afraid something bigger would print too bad under t-shirts and such. Better than just having a pocket gun. Now that winter is here, it might make a nice coat pocket gun.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    PF-9 is my EDC. Very thin, very light. Better trigger than the P-11. Acceptable sights. The first time you pull the trigger, you'll feel like the gun blew up in your hand. You quickly adjust your shooting style to absorb and control the recoil.

I have no problems keeping all of my shots in the head of a standard b29 target at 7 and 10 yards.

I have had no failures of eny kind. The first field strip and reassembly is a little perplexing but I can do it blindfolded now.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Mine has been shot by quite a few folks and all were surprised by how smooth the trigger felt, of course I did dry fire it a ton (yes with a snap cap...A-Zoom to be specific). Mine has been 100% reliable from day 1 and has well over 2000 rounds of reloads and factory through it. I will add that if a gun will feed my 9mm reloads it will generally feed anything as I use a very flat nose .357 JHP for reloading 9mm as you can see. I use this bullet for 9mm, 38 Super, and 38 Special...

125grain-1.jpg

glock2010

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    In The Backwoods
    i had a kel-tec pf9 and sold it and wish i still had it , it was a perfect cc gun and i never had a problem with at all and i would recomend it for sure. if you get one let me know what you think of it :ingo:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks everyone! Now I can buy one and know that I won't have buyer's remorse. It is a cool looking pistol to me but then again I go for function over form. I own a P3-AT so I know that recoil on the Kel-Tecs can be a little punishing but it is an acceptable tradeoff.:)

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    This pocket holster from Tuff Products just showed up today, I was surprised how easily it went into the pocket of my carpenter jeans even with the mag sticking out to the side, was very comfortable to wear as it served today as a BUG to my Glock 19.

pf9holster.jpg

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Since this thread is on the PF9... anyone who has one have a TLR-3 that they have put on it? I was thinking a PF9 with a TLR-3 would be AMAZING in a custom Raven mini with offset IWB tuckable soft loops....

MMM I am having a Kel-tec/streamlight/raven craving

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Since this thread is on the PF9... anyone who has one have a TLR-3 that they have put on it? I was thinking a PF9 with a TLR-3 would be AMAZING in a custom Raven mini with offset IWB tuckable soft loops....

MMM I am having a Kel-tec/streamlight/raven craving

Seems like the TLR-3 would be a bunch wider than the PF9.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I looked it up the other day... I don't think it was that much wider. Don't remember exacts specs though... stand by... (to the googlemobile)

Edit:
    here it is:
    PF9: 0.88"
    TRL-3: 1.51"
    So a difference of .63"
    that is an extra .315" on each side... not too much I guess, and IWB it wouldn't be that bad.

Edit #2:
    Just looked something else up:

Insight X2 width: 1.4"
    so with that light a difference of .52" or .26" on each side.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom