• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm trying to get some ideas for a new EDC. Right now its a Taurus 85CH. I'm thinking of something smallish, but not as small as the LCP.

I'm leaning towards 9mm.

I cant really decide between:

Kel Tec PF9
    Ruger LC9
    Kahr CW9
    G26(down the list, i don't care for the feel as much as some others)

Any reccomendations?? Or others i've not got on here??

Probably not looking to spend a lot more than $350. I personally like the feel of the KahrCW9 the most. However, after seeing the price of a brand new stainless Keltec, I must admit i've got second thoughts.

Who's got/had the Keltec pf-9?? How do they stack-up against these others??

(INGO search didn't give any threads:dunno:)

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Keltec's got good customer service, mines had some failure to feeds and extract, theyre sending me another extractor and a new mag. I havent tried the others, if my budget had been a little higher i would have tried the Kahr.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I had a PF9, sold it. Just do a fluff and buff on it (you can find instructions on the KTOG site) and they run great. I never had a malfunction with mine. Can't say they're fun to shoot.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Just sold my blue pf9 to buy the bi-tone. Didn't have any issues with the first other than they aren't fun to shoot after awhile. Had several hundred rounds through it with no issues. The only gun I would consider to replace it would be a single stack glock or xd in a similar caliber when/if they make one. If your considering a lc9 I would wait until after the first recall.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I have had mine for at least four years without any problems. A Kel Tec has to be broke in with at least 250 rounds and kept clean to run good, some MPRO-7 and a bore snake and your ready to go. Just need to fine what ammo to use that feeds through the pistol. Check out The Kel-Tec Range for more information. Good luck with your new pistol.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I really want the LC9. No reason, I just like Rugers.

But I keep telling myself that I'm RARELY going to shoot this gun. I will shoot a few rounds from it when I go to the range just to keep proficient, but it is going to be a carry gun, and thus go unused 99% of the time.

That being the case, I'm going to try and find a reasonably priced PF-9 at the show next week. Every other show I go to, there are more PF-9s than you can shake a stick at.

changelac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Feb 6, 2011
    I had the pf9 for a while and had no problems with it. I kept it clean and did a slight fluff & buff. I sold it I think to finance another purchase. Kahr is coming out with a new cm9 you might want to check out. Looks like a budget pm9.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You hit it head on - Kahr CW9. Bud's has got a speacial going on them right now; NIB $366 delivered. You simply cannot beat that. FYI, Kahr is releasing their new CM9 on April 21. It is the same size as a PM9, but uses the same approach as the CW Series. And, it's about $250 cheaper than the PM Series.

A lot of very serious sub compact 9mm's were introduced at SHOT this year, but the Kahr has smoked them all in that catagory with the CM. I was told that Kahr is dropping the lifetime warranty with this one in favor of a 5 year; but I don't know if that is true. You might want to ask about the CW as well.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My PF-9 now has over 3000 rounds through it (never could understand why some say they aren't fun to shoot) and hasn't has a single malfunction. I have had it at several of the NWI range days and everyone that has shot it was really surprised at how nice the trigger is on it. The Kahr maybe more expensive and prettier but that doesn't make it more reliable or more accurate.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought my stainless pf9 used with less than 100 rounds through it. First trip to the range it got about 200 rounds through it and it performed very well. It's plenty accurate for what it's meant for and I've got my eye out to buy another used one if the right deal comes around.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    My PF-9 now has over 3000 rounds through it (never could understand why some say they aren't fun to shoot) and hasn't has a single malfunction. I have had it at several of the NWI range days and everyone that has shot it was really surprised at how nice the trigger is on it. The Kahr maybe more expensive and prettier but that doesn't make it more reliable or more accurate.

Did you have to do anything to the trigger? Is it nice outta the box or does it get better after several thousand rds?

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I put 200 hundred rounds through my pf-9 the weekend I bought it + a box of 20 critical defense hollow points and did not have a single malfunction. Since then i put at least 50 rounds through it every range trip without incident. While the trigger pull is longer than my m&p and 1911's it sure is smooth with a crisp break. It's comfortable to carry in either iwb when I dont have large pockets or in dress slacks with large pockets it disappears in the front right pocket.

Hundreds of failure free rounds completely stock and straight out of the box with only quick cleans after range trips. Yes I am happy with the reliability and the purchase I made on this particular firearm.

Last edited:

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    PF9

I carry my Kel Tec PF9 on a regular basis and love it.... I would have considered the Kahr PM9 but with almost a $250 price difference and all of the reviews I have read about both weapons, the Kel Tec PF9 is the best bang for your buck. I have not had any kind of feed problems and I have put 500+ rounds of 115 grain FMJ and 100 rounds of 147 grain golden saber hollow points and have not had one jam. Great weapon for the price but if you have the extra money kicking around look into the Springfield XD compact series or SigArms compacts.:draw:

Squirrel Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    I have a Kel Tec PF9 and to be honest about it I was shocked to see how good it shot. My problem wasn't the accuracy or function of the gun it is my grip I think. I have large hands and don't know if that is the problem or not but I kept bumping the mag release button and have unseated my magazine a couple times shooting it. Mine has less than 50 rounds run through mine and I am going back to S&W Model 60. Of course I have never got along with a semi auto. I know I'm a dinasaur.:laugh:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Did you have to do anything to the trigger? Is it nice outta the box or does it get better after several thousand rds?

I dry fired the hell out of it with a snap cap and that plus the live rounds at the range all contributed to smoothing the trigger tho mine was better than decent when new. Now it is as good as my Colt Detective.

Top Bottom