• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Looking for a Compact 9mm. Fondled a Kel Tec PF9 and a P11 today, they were sweet, but i just can't decide what one to go with. the p11 has more capacity, but the PF9 seems to be the way Kel Tec is going with things, better sights and a bottom rail. I just can't decide, both are excellent guns.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    On the mag rattle with the P-11... It's endemic, but VERY very very easily fixed by "tweaking" the angle of the top loop of the mag spring. I bent mine slightly "up" to exhert more pressure on the follower. NEVER had any feeding problems pre or post fix.

I've not shot a PF-9, only the P-11 that I had for a little while. The P-11 for sure isn't an all-day range gun, but it certainly got the job done for what it was intended.

I'd imagine that the P-11 would be more comfortable to shoot, too, due to the thicker grip (to say nothing of the weight). Standard capacity is...12+1 if I remember right? Certain other mags give 14+1? That's a danged lot of firepower in a tiny package. AND you get "second strike capability" with the P-11 because it's a hammer-fired DAO firearm.

For ME, I'd be inclined to go with the P-11 over the PF-9.

-J-

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't know if it's standard on the PF-9 mags, but I picked up the pinky extensions for the P-11 mags and it helped the way it holds in my hand.

You got to be a bit of a do-it-yourself person to trim the flashing off the P-11 frame where it was molded too.

There are plenty of fine resources at KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think it might help you to make a decision on what you plan to use the pistol for. I'll second the comment that a Kel Tec is NOT a range gun; therefore you usually see folks pick them for ccw or home defense. I own a P-11 and I've shot a PF; both are what I'd describe as "snappy". I'm usually done by the third mag!

If you are planning to carry, I'd go with the PF-9; it's a bit easier to do that. If it is going to be primarily for HD, I'd pick the P-11 for it's capacity since you can now get 12 round magazines. I think the pinky holder is a must if I am going to control the pistol. :twocents:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I bought a PF-9 because it's thinner and lighter than the PF-11 and the PF-11 had a terrible trigger pull. The PF-9 was smooth and easy. I did reshape the trigger some though as per the Kel-Tec forum guide lines.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Bought a P11 for my wife because of the price. I've shot it once and it was OK, but I'm not a fan of DAO (did my first serious pistol training w/Glocks). I was able to shoot up a target at 15' w/either hand pretty easily, even though I'm not used to DAO. That being said, I'm looking for a Glock G26 for the wife instead...

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I'll second the comment that a Kel Tec is NOT a range gun; therefore you usually see folks pick them for ccw or home defense.

A SD/HD gun that is no fun to practice with? Wow, I hope if you ever have to use it to defend your life that you hit what you aim at.

I'm sure this has been said thousands of times before but in my opinion it bears repeating.

In a life threatening situation every action needs to be automatic, pure reflex. The only way to get there is with LOTS of practice. Just because you can shoot gun A adequately doesn't mean you can shoot gun B just as well. In many situations you will not have time to adjust your grip, get into your stance and remember just how is this trigger pull. We all have guns we don't shoot regularly. They are just for fun but our defense guns need to be the ones we shoot the most.

Sorry for the soap box

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I traded a Bersa for the p-11 with another member awhile back and at first thought I had made a big mistake. But after fastening a custom trigger shoe and a trigger stop it is much easier to shoot accurately. The stop allows the trigger to stop it's motion just short of the discharge point. This lets the shooter stage his shots. With practice the pistol can be fired rapidly utilizing a two step trigger pull. It's kind of like a double tap but rather a "double squeeze". I am not sure how I would react in a panic situation but at least it is easier and more fun to practice with. It is not my EDC so I don't practice with it enough to feel sure that the double squeeze has become second nature. I also have a S&W 459, and the 15 round mags work in the P-11. Also, the addition of a Houge slip on grip sleeve has made it even more comfortable to shoot.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Go with what feels best to you. Have you had a chance to shoot either of them before? I personally prefer the p11 but thats just me. Everyone is different so go with what works best for you. Either way both are good guns. Good luck with your decision

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Looking for a Compact 9mm. Fondled a Kel Tec PF9 and a P11 today, they were sweet, but i just can't decide what one to go with. the p11 has more capacity, but the PF9 seems to be the way Kel Tec is going with things, better sights and a bottom rail. I just can't decide, both are excellent guns.
    i shot the 9 and handed it back to my buddy after 4 rds, you can keep that pos i told him. i went xd 9mm compact recently fot $450 OTD

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    i shot the 9 and handed it back to my buddy after 4 rds, you can keep that pos i told him. i went xd 9mm compact recently fot $450 OTD

While I agree the KelTec is not in the same league as the XD, isn't the XD (even the SC) considerably larger than the PF9?

If you really want a slim, light quality 9mm buy a Kahr PM9. Unfortunately you can buy multiple KelTecs for what a Kahr costs. Personally I thought the PM9 was well worth the extra money (of course my wife didn't have a like mind) so I splurged and have not regretted it.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I *just* sold my carry P11 on Friday. I absolutely hated it. I didn't like the thickness of it for IWB, I didn't like the crappy finish (i.e. rough spots / burrs on the polymer rubbed me raw, literally).

If I was ever to buy a Kel Tec again (most likely I will not) I would go with the PF9 because the P11 has a terrible trigger. I have read a lot about "fixes" for the P11 trigger, but I never actually tried them. I did try to add a trigger shoe, but it actually bit my index finger at the range...

Kel Tec makes a great *cheap* gun. But that is what you get, a *cheap* gun. If I had to do it over again, I would have saved my pennies a little longer and started out with something a little nicer (like a Walther PPS, Kahr, or even a Taurus Slim). I ended up taking a little hit after selling mine off after ~150 rounds, but the damn thing is gone and I am happy.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My PF9 isn't bad to shoot, I put 200 rounds thru it every visit to the range.

Before I bought, I researched the PF-9 and the Kahr PM9 to no end. I literally read everything available on the internet about these two guns. I found more reliability complaints on the Kahr PM9 than for the KT PF-9.

I chose the PF-9 and have been very happy with it.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I picked up a P11 from Jerrys Gun Shop today. very happy with it. Best deal i have ever seen on one too. Put a Hogue Handall grip on it, shoots like a dream, well for a sub compact 9mm. gotta buy that magazine extender for the pinky though.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The P11 is likely more comfortable to hold, but the Pf9 fits the purpose better and that's what I went with. This is a good small pocket gun that's easy to carry and very thin.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For the price, it's a good value. I've been getting to know it for 6 months.
    It's very simple and precise.
    I have not yet had to use Kel-Tec customer service, so no comment as of yet.

Top Bottom