• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So I finally made it to the range with the new PLR-16 to give it a basic function test/break in. Now, just as background, my intent for this PLR is to file a Form 1, put the stock adapter with a side folder on it and make it into a short barreled rifle. Before filing the $200 form, I wanted to make sure the firearm is worth it as such.

The PLR is a stock model, with a forearm added and a Linear Compensator put on the front.

After making it to the range (had to cut through a downed tree with the trunk hatchet), I was finally ready to do some shooting. Now, I was ready to give some leeway on accuracy as I was using a mix of Lake city 62 grain surplus and 55 grain surplus. Add to that 45 minutes of hatchet work, and accuracy was not the goal, function was.

So here is the PLR:

Photo-0216.jpg

And with a mix of 20 round Colt and 30 round generic mags I was ready to get to work:

Photo-0212.jpg

The target was 25 yards out and I was set up for iron sights:

Photo-0217.jpg

The range is set up to against the side of a hill and is 125 yards deep. Off to the side of me, 75 yards away, there was a couple skeet shooting. The first round caused everyone to stop. Loud BARELY covers it. Barely. One of the guys yelled over, "I HEARD THAT!" *What he heard was the sound of the blast directed 100% forward into the side of a hill and bounced back right into me! I tried to get a movie of it's blast/sound:

Quickly, I identified three serious problems:

1. Failure To Feed - The PLR will not load rounds in tightly packed magazines. It does not jam, instead it just does not lift the rounds. Sometimes the 30 round mags will not lock into position if fully loaded. The 20 round mags work best but only if loaded to 18 rounds or less. Maybe other mags would work better, but I doubt it. The majority of the problems were with the 30 round mags.

2. Failure to Eject - The PLR had one impressive FTE:

Photo-0213.jpg

3. Adjusting the iron sights - these are at best rudimentary to adjust. Replacing them is job #1.

There were also minor issues - recoil ejecting the light out of the holder no matter how tightly screwed in, as well as loosening the forearm locking nut and the compensator. These can be dealt with.

All in all, I put 100 rounds down range and feel mixed about the results. I am not ready to file the Form 1 on the PLR, nor am I ready to send in the PLR for work. Instead, I am going to scope the PLR and take it back and see if it calms down after another 200 rounds or so.

But I do have to admit, she sure is fun when she is working right:

On the other hand, using it in a self-defense situation would leave a person deaf even if the size is right:

plrcomp5.jpg

plrcomp4.jpg

All in all, a mixed bag.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Thanks for the report. Do you think that the Bushmaster (at twice the price) or the Sig (at 3 times the price) add the needed reliabilty factor to the equation and are they worth the extra dollars

cid__1_0BF57AC40BF5795400668F778525.jpg

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Thanks for the review on this. I had one sitting on my desk last week and it definitely peaked my curiosity (plus, they're made about 20 minutes away from my front door) and I'd been toying with getting one as a "Hey, lookie here"/trunk gun.

Looking forward to hearing some more about this when you test it for accuracy.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Great report, did you try more than one type of 30 round mag? I know that some mags work better than others in the PLR. No too many complaints about it overall from what I have read, so I hope you can figure a fix for it.

Loud as heck, I cannot imagine shooting one indoors! On the other hand, if you shot it in defense I can't imagine they would not rethink their actions after hearing a shot in their direction! I hear the muzzle barke makes it about twice as loud to the shooter also, and you have a levang on there so it might be 3x as loud for you!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for the report. Do you think that the Bushmaster (at twice the price) or the Sig (at 3 times the price) add the needed reliabilty factor to the equation and are they worth the extra dollars

Quite likely, although I do not have them to test. For now I will be filing paperwork on the CMMG Lower I just got from AIMSurplus (free shipping!) and will postpone doing paperwork on this one for now.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Great report, did you try more than one type of 30 round mag? I know that some mags work better than others in the PLR. No too many complaints about it overall from what I have read, so I hope you can figure a fix for it.

I only tried the generic 30's that I had which are the same no-brand. I think I will get some high end magpul or colts and see if the situation improves.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I only tried the generic 30's that I had which are the same no-brand. I think I will get some high end magpul or colts and see if the situation improves.

I see very similar problems with the Ruger Mini 14. Unless you use the Ruger factory mags you have FTF or constant malfunctions.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I'm building an AR SBR as well so I wanted to ask you a question about the Kel Tec. Through a shorter barrel like the Kel Tec, is the .223 round significantly louder than through a 16 inch barrel? I understood that through a shorter barrel it's only logical it's somewhat louder, but does it really affect it a lot?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm building an AR SBR as well so I wanted to ask you a question about the Kel Tec. Through a shorter barrel like the Kel Tec, is the .223 round significantly louder than through a 16 inch barrel? I understood that through a shorter barrel it's only logical it's somewhat louder, but does it really affect it a lot?

It is a whole other world. It is enough to make me consider going 9mm on the AR SBR. If I go .223 on the AR, it will be with an 11" barrel, so maybe the extra 2 inches will make a difference. Otherwise a supressor will quickly be in order.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The bounceback from the linear compensator also may be worsening things some. A birdcage might have been a better choice.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Techres:

• Downloading your 30rd mags to 28 will solve the insertion on a closed bolt problem; that is SOP for me on all my ARs. As to the failures to feed, dump the generic POS mags and go with upgraded USGI or Magpul PMAGs. Shorter barrels mean higher bolt velocities, requiring a good strong mag spring and non-binding follower to keep up.

• Replace the Levang with the flash suppressor of your choice to mitigate the noise/blast issue a bit.

• Good on you for registering an AR lower; IMO it would be a much better use of your $200 tax stamp.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, the end result is that the PLR went back to the store. The reason why is not what you might expect: my wife.

Turns out my wife suddenly wants to come to the range as often as I do (thank God!). Her main issue is noise and the PLR is REALLY LOUD as this comment from KTOG.org puts it:

I shoot at my In-laws house on 15 acres of cleared "yard" surrounded by 200+ acres of hunting land. The PLR is the first weapon they EVER mentioned being too loud.

It is so loud that shooting at a WMA range brought a Game Warden within 10 minutes of shooting because he thought we were shooting a .50BMG! Those aren't allowed, and apparently he had to run off some guys a day or so before who WERE shooting a Barrett. When he heard the PLR, he thought they were back.

Having nowhere to shoot it without lots of complaints, I sold the PLR. I wouldn't want another one without a sound suppressor, which I may soon get anyway.

So, since my wife is coming to the range with me 80% of the time, the PLR was not going to get enough time firing to make it worth keeping. I have the AR lower to build into an SBR (which I think will need to be 9mm for the same noise reasons) and so it goes.

Sometimes you buy a gun, and sometimes you rent one. :do2:

(p.s. before I get offers for the PLR, it is already gone and a new glock 23 is in it's place).

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Ok, the end result is that the PLR went back to the store. The reason why is not what you might expect: my wife.

Turns out my wife suddenly wants to come to the range as often as I do (thank God!). Her main issue is noise and the PLR is REALLY LOUD as this comment from KTOG.org puts it:

So, since my wife is coming to the range with me 80% of the time, the PLR was not going to get enough time firing to make it worth keeping. I have the AR lower to build into an SBR (which I think will need to be 9mm for the same noise reasons) and so it goes.

Sometimes you buy a gun, and sometimes you rent one. :do2:

(p.s. before I get offers for the PLR, it is already gone and a new glock 23 is in it's place).
    You just sold me on sticking with 9mm on my AR-15 SBR too. I was tempted by the cheaper price of mags for .223 and not having to buy the conversion stuff, but I don't want a gun that will be unpleasant to shoot. I wear hearing protection of course, but it still can't be good for your hearing to be exposed to that type of noise for extended periods of time.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My plan was to file the paperwork, and see what I think on NFA day about shorties. 9mm is also alot cheaper to shoot.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You just sold me on sticking with 9mm on my AR-15 SBR too. I was tempted by the cheaper price of mags for .223 and not having to buy the conversion stuff, but I don't want a gun that will be unpleasant to shoot. I wear hearing protection of course, but it still can't be good for your hearing to be exposed to that type of noise for extended periods of time.

I've shot, and shot next to, plenty of 10.5" and 11.5" 5.56 SBRs and never had an issue with them being "too loud". The blast/concussion can be an issue (I recently spent 2 days on the line next to a 12" barreled AR with a Smith comp... ouch man), but that's a different thing than just noise.

I believe the combination of the Levang comp, plus the geography of where he was shooting may have been contributing factors in techres' case.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I've shot, and shot next to, plenty of 10.5" and 11.5" 5.56 SBRs and never had an issue with them being "too loud". The blast/concussion can be an issue (I recently spent 2 days on the line next to a 12" barreled AR with a Smith comp... ouch man), but that's a different thing than just noise.

I believe the combination of the Levang comp, plus the geography of where he was shooting may have been contributing factors in techres' case.

Well I figured that those factors play some role, but I just know I can't go wrong with 9mm. Obviously if I can stand a 9mm through my Glock 4" barrel, I can stand it through a 7 1/2" barrel on an AR-15. All I know is I hear that quite a bit about short barrel rifles in .223, I just don't want to go through all the paperwork with ATF to find that I dislike the gun. Besides, I had planned on suppressing it later on, and a suppressor with subsonic ammo would be more effective and I figured that 9mm is also better for my needs because of that.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, I've actually been going back and forth on whether to register my SBR in 223 or 9mm. A lot of positives on each side, gonna make it a tough decision...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Very possible.

Quick question, when you register the SBR as one caliber, does that preclude you from using another? That would seem to be a big drawback!

Top Bottom