Kel tec RFB, anyone have one, where'd you get it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i am very interested in this rifle and would love to hear some first hand accounts from anyone on here who has one or at least played with one. If you have one where did you get it, can a local dealer order one on request or are they all booked up for years?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've had my RFB for about a year now. I got one of two that have come in to H&H Firearms in Fort Wayne. I heard Kel-Tec has ramped up production on these now, and hopefully availability will get better.

This is the finest piece of engineering and machining I have seen from Kel-Tec. The weapon fires and functions flawlessly and is just tons of fun to shoot. The .308 RFB is actually shorter than my FN FS200 and MSAR (both of those are .223). The RFB uses FAL metric mags which are easy (and cheap) to obtain. I got 4 Israeli mags produced in 1976, in the wrappers and coated with cosmoline for $80.

I've shot 150 gr, 155 gr and 168 gr ammo (factory and reloads) without any adjustments to the gas system and haven't had any fees or functions issues.

If you can find one, grab it up and have a blast.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Perfect timing...I was going to ask the same question. I had a buddy test drive one and he liked it. I need a shorty to keep my 24" AR-10(t) company.

Mark

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Now that's what I like to hear :) have you shot any surplus or steel case ammo through it? I'd also be interested in how the trigger pull is, heavy or long? Can fast followup shots be taken compared to the 5.56 bullpups?

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I've had my RFB for about a year now. I got one of two that have come in to H&H Firearms in Fort Wayne. I heard Kel-Tec has ramped up production on these now, and hopefully availability will get better.

This is the finest piece of engineering and machining I have seen from Kel-Tec. The weapon fires and functions flawlessly and is just tons of fun to shoot. The .308 RFB is actually shorter than my FN FS200 and MSAR (both of those are .223). The RFB uses FAL metric mags which are easy (and cheap) to obtain. I got 4 Israeli mags produced in 1976, in the wrappers and coated with cosmoline for $80.

I've shot 150 gr, 155 gr and 168 gr ammo (factory and reloads) without any adjustments to the gas system and haven't had any fees or functions issues.

If you can find one, grab it up and have a blast.

It is so nice to hear of someone who has a good one. After researching them on KTOG and reading all the horror stories I have been afraid to get one. Again, glad to hear of your good luck!!!!!!!!:rockwoot:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Now that's what I like to hear :) have you shot any surplus or steel case ammo through it? I'd also be interested in how the trigger pull is, heavy or long? Can fast followup shots be taken compared to the 5.56 bullpups?

Haven't shot any surplus or steel case through the RFB. I buy Prvi Partizan 168gr HPBT Match ammo and shoot it through the RFB and my AR10-T. I reload the Prvi brass for my bolt gun.

The trigger on the RFB is better than the .223 bull pups. I haven't used a gauge, but I'm guessing it breaks around 4 1/2 to 5 pounds. There is just a little creep, but the pull is smooth.

I originally installed a Trijicon ACOG with Docter Red dot on the RFB. The ACOG only has 1 1/2 inches eye relief. I was ok firing using the red dot, but when I used the ACOG, the rain sight on top of the red dot would ding me in the forehead. The top of the RFB stock is metal and flat. I couldn't get a good enough cheek weld to use the ACOG. I put on an EoTech which took care of the eye relief.

Follow up shots take a little longer than the .223s, just due to the increased recoil with the .308. The weapon drops right back on target and the recoil isn't bad.

Top Bottom