• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duff72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    I got to handle a kel tec rfb a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very cool, then I started to think how would you clear a serious jam? the front eject keeps you from using a finger to help you remove the shell from the port, and the chamber is pretty deep in the mag well . I know the standard answer is drop the mag and pull the bolt back, but this is a different design. rfb owners please chime in (or just general speculation is also welcome). I liked the design but also found it difficult to check the chamber to make sure it was clear.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I have not handled one, nor do I know anyone that owns an RFB. I'd love to buy one, but they are marked up higher than retail and not available right now. I am sure that they'll make their way to IN/KY soon.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I got to handle a kel tec rfb a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very cool, then I started to think how would you clear a serious jam? the front eject keeps you from using a finger to help you remove the shell from the port, and the chamber is pretty deep in the mag well . I know the standard answer is drop the mag and pull the bolt back, but this is a different design. rfb owners please chime in (or just general speculation is also welcome). I liked the design but also found it difficult to check the chamber to make sure it was clear.

I bet you have to break open the receiver. Other than that... I think you are screwed.

JoeCCI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hello Duff,

I'm sure you've already gotten your answer to this question via other means but I own a Keltec RFB and it Jams on any type of dirty ammo that you put through it. And it's a complete pain in the ass to clear. Because it's a closed system you have only 1 option: Eject the mag and either clear the jam manually with your fingers or jack the charging handle, making sure any live founds fully clear the ejection chute before jacking the charging handle again.

You can't simply use the charging handle to clear a jam with the mag in because you run the potential of putting 2 live rounds in the ejection chute. If this happens the tip of the rear bullet could impact the primer of the first bullet and literally fire off a round out of your ejection port. considering the forward ejection track has a curve in it, this would end very badly for you and the firearm.

When I called up Keltec their official response to this was "don't fire cheap ammo". I find this somewhat Ironic because during an interview once they were asked "what do you do in the event of a jam?" Keltec's response was "well it's a closed system so it doesn't Jam" Apparently that is with the Caviat that you're only firing premium brass through it all the time lol.

If you want one of these things mine is for sale lol!

Top Bottom