• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'm lookin into pickin up a pf9 to slip in my pocket on a few occasions and wondered if anybody has any info, experience, reviews or just basic knowledge on them you would care to share, thanks ahead of time.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've had two. They both served me just fine. Some people have reported reliability issues, but I never had a single failure with either of mine.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I own one for pocket carry/Back-up. I love it. No frills just 8 rounds of 9mm ready to go.

It does everything a pocket gun is suppose to do, Go bang at things close range... yep bout it.

No Manual safety, Craptastic accuracy, Massive trigger pull, since it weighs next to nothing the kick will surprise you, little difficult to hang on to, and you will learn a new term "Trigger Slap" and you will learn to respect it (little dab of sports cream and some ice will fix that swelling).

But that is the case with most any pocket gun.

But if my main is out and the BG is within 10 yards, i am more than comfortable betting my life on my little kel-tec

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have owned a Kel-tec p-11 but not a pf-9 so my thought here may or may not be applicable. The p-11 had a long trigger pull which I did not appreciate. I chose ultimately to go with the newer Taurus 709 slim which is very similar in size but has the striker fire feel. I would try the 709 and/or other guns like it before I settled on anything. Nothing wrong with Kel-tec's just make sure you get what you want with your money.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My brother owns two PF-9s - he loves 'em. I've shot them extensively - I hate 'em. I much prefer my Taurus PT-709. You really need to get some range time with one before you buy it if possible. You might like it and you might not. For me, the PF-9 is harsh shooting, difficult to be accurate with, and has an awful trigger. I research the PF-9 a lot and was planning on buying one until I shot the 709. Never looked back. But like I said, my brother likes his, and carries it every day.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I generally carry a xd on my hip, but I have a certain place where I can't do that so I need somethin for my pocket, and I like the keltecs and have heard nothing bad, at least with the the p32 and p3at so I was a bit curious, if any body in the nwi region has one I could put a couple rounds thru, I'd appreciate it

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine has been good but I think I should've bought a 709. I might still do that.

The PF9 is simple and accurate enough. But it lacks second strike capability. It hasn't been an issue, but I think about that one feature.

And the 709 comes with 2 magazines. PF9 only one. So for about $50 or so more I think I'll test a 709.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    The PF9 is simple and accurate enough. But it lacks second strike capability. It hasn't been an issue, but I think about that one feature.

This second strike capability was one of the reasons I ended up with the 709 rather than the PF-9. And the fact that it has a manual safety as well. It makes carrying with one in the chamber feel a little more comfortable.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Trigger pull can be measured in seconds, and they are hard to hold onto, but many guys like them, I hated mine and bought a Kahr CW9.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I bought a Ruger LCP and then also a Kel-tec PF-9 just because I wanted too.
    The Ruger didn't feel just right untill I bought the Pearce magazine extensions and I don't feel one bit short changed buy the .380 caliber,
    up close it's not going to matter much and it's always with me everywhere I go. It is dead on accurate out past 25 ft. at under 1" groups.
    The trigger on the PF-9 didn't feel right to me, it had just a little bit too much curl in the finger curve so I straightened it some as per the Kel-Tec forum web site but the trigger pull was very good and light, not at all stiff like the PF-11. It has a sharp recoil but what would you expect. It also is dead on accurate at under 1" at 25 ft.
    The slide on my PF-9 is blued, not plated and as such it is easy to rust and pit so I havent worn it in my sholder holster much and I have Crimson Trace Laser sights on both guns so holsters that I like are hard to find.
    I want to find one in Kydex but I'll probably have to make it myself. I don't consider either gun to be a range gun or plinker as such except rarely but I like them both and feel confident carrying them.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey, LPPO. I suggest that you try very hard to find someone who will let you shoot the KelTec. As you can see from the wide variety of reviews, there are some concerns that you may want to answer before making a decision.

Reviews of the KelTecs always include the trigger and the recoil. Even folks who like them will tell you that the recoil is "noticable". Favorite word appears to be "snappy". Nobody thinks of them as range guns. I can comfortably shoot my 45s for a hundred rounds or so, but I'm only good for 30 with my KelTec.

As for the trigger, it's very personal and everybody agrees to disagree. I consider the trigger on my P11 to be the worst I've ever shot. I can detail my car waiting for that thing to travel. I did not think the one on the PF9 was as bad, but I was getting bored. Good luck.:twocents:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have found for me the PF9 is too big for pocket carry. The P3AT is ok for me. But I'm fat and my pockets are tight. The only difference in size between the P11 and PF9 is thickness. This is an issue if you are able to pocket carry the PF9, but not an issue for belt carry.

So my Kel-Tec pistols are P3AT and P11 for those reasons.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    PF9 is now my daily carry-thin enough to slip in a pocket,but still dependable. I think trigger is light compared to the P3AT, but not a range gun to shoot repeatedly.I still like both of my KelTecs,would not sell them back for what I gave. No problems-reliable and accurate. That being said- I would like to try the Taurus 709-nice looking gun.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    My brother has a Kaltec PF9 for pocket carry. We went to the range recently where I found it to be a bit snappy due to the light weight. The real issue was that his new SD ammo jammed.

I was the first to shoot some Speer Gold Dots and they jammed second and fourth rounds. Seemed the large HP caught in the feed ramp. I traded him some Federal JHP for the Speer as they did fine in my Glock.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Craptastic accuracy, Massive trigger pull, since it weighs next to nothing the kick will surprise you, little difficult to hang on to, and you will learn a new term "Trigger Slap" and you will learn to respect it (little dab of sports cream and some ice will fix that swelling).

I must say I have not noticed any one those things with mine. Small sights do make it tough at 25 yards but it is more than accurate enough to shoot minute of felon even at 50 yards. Trigger pull on mine is about as good a a well set up J-Frame revolver, smooth and not overly heavy. Recoil is more than a .380 of the same size but doesn't beat up the hand, nor did I find it hard to hold onto the gun. It is crisp but not annoying at all. Trigger slap...never had it happen to me with the PF-9, not sure any gun I have owned has ever had that problem but that may affect some people more than others.

I have over 2000+ rounds through my PF-9 even with my reloads which use a 125 JHP designed for revolvers with a big, flat nose. (I use the same bullet for 9mm, 39Spl, 38 Super, and 9X23)Mine has eaten everything I have fed it without a bobble.

One thing I do recommend is using some emery paper to remove the mold ridge on the trigger face or it can result is a hot spot on your finger. Takes about 30 seconds.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    And I've found it much easier than doing the whole fluff and polish to just manually work the slide 200 times and cleaning, before going to the range. It eliminates any rough spots that might cause early jams during break in. The P3AT is probably a little more sensitive than the PF9 though.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i use mine for what it is. a solid BUG. and its definitely better than nothing. i have accurately ran mine out to 35 yards shooting milk jugs. the trigger is a bit heavy but nothing that has ever bothered me. for the money its hard to beat it. that being said i haven't seen this taurus and for only a little more money it could be worth the look

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    It is a handy little pistol in 9 mm, it will let you know it's light and kicks, but no problems with it and carry it almost every day in the front pocket. Good for two magazines to practice and set aside till needed. Either you like or you don't. I would say try one before you buy one.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Picked one up today. So far I like it. No rounds downrange yet. The trigger is way better than a P-11! Long but not heavy, much improved in my opinion.

As for the lack of second strike capability...
    I think it is nothing but marketing hype.
    Are you going to stand there pulling the trigger after it clicks over and over again? "Well, I've got second strike capability! This is not suppossed to happen!"
    Or are you going to preform a malfunction drill after the first click?
    If it doesn't go off the first time, I'm getting it out of the gun.

Top Bottom