• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone shoot one and like it for carry? Wife is using my LCP so I am thinking about a new gun for myself. Have a glock but its too fat and I don't want to drop the money on something like a Kahr unless Keltec is inferior.

Thanks

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would place the Khar as a higher quality gun than a Kel-Tec. But I carry a P3AT and a P11 Kel-Tec, because they are reliable and a great gun for the money. I don't find the PF9 small enough to pocket carry (so P3AT for me) and I don't find the P11 much bigger than the PF9 in width, so like the double stack capacity.

The P11 trigger isn't too bad, but it is a really looong pull. It is still an accurate, reliable gun.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    If your wife has an LCP, why not get an LC9. It's about 1/2 inch longer and still a single stack. At Christmas, Midwest Gun Exchange was running a sale on them for $317. They may run it again. Just a thought.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I like the PF9's myself. Small/easy to carry,accurate and never really had a problem from any of them I've owned. The one thing I didn't like about the blued ones is that in high humidity or if you sweat alot,they will rust pretty easy. Hard chrome is the way to go if you can find one. For any information about any Keltec, I would suggest going to their forum; KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I absolutely love my PF9 for what it is. It is a SD gun, not a range gun. Not pleasant to shoot all the time. OK now that I got many complaints out... I carry mine 16 hours a day and work construction. The finish wore off of the barrel after a few hundred rounds, so it got a slight polish to it. It has shot +P ammo and it still held together. I ran 1 magazine to make sure it would cycle as I carry nothing but CorBon DPX +P so I wanted to make sure it would be reliable... and it was.

800 rounds plus and it is still going strong. No malfunctions of any kind. You put the add on clip for IWB carry and you have yourself a winner! With the price, warranty, and the idea behind the gun you have yourself a great CC and SD gun, not a range gun ;) I just am waiting for the +1 in OD Green to come out and I will be happier yet! They have them in black, I just want OD Green....

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I usually carry a Kahr CW9, but have a PF9 and really like the way it carries - sometimes I forget it's there using the belt clip. It is very small and reasonably accurate. But the Kahr fits my hand better.

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I had a PF9 and it wasn't very pleasant to shoot but it was reliable. I've never shot a Kahr but from what I have read they have nice DA triggers which is not the PF9's strong point.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I like mine a lot. Very pocketable for me and each of the three I've had have been stone cold reliable. Keep them clean and lubed and they will serve you well.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like the one I have. Had another one that was real dog, very unreliable. From all I have read about this gun, if you get one that works, they are great. If it doesn't, Kel Tec will work with you to get it working right, but keep your paperwork-no paperwork, no warranty work.

Of the ones that have problems out of the box, the vast majority appear to be fixable. There are some that turn out not to be fixable.

I'm not a big person, and I pocket carry. I also carry in IWB in a soft holster sometimes. Overall, a lot of power in a small package.

For a self defense piece, if it doesn't work right out of the box, (or after proper break in), or after an identifiable fix, I have no use for it. The one bad one I had was "quirky" - sometimes I could go through 200 rds without a hitch, and other times I would have 1 or 2 failures to extract in 200 rds, after multiple "fixes."

The one I carry was good to go, right out of the box, not one failure.

Be sure to spend some time on the KTOG forum.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a hard chrome PF9 and it was 100% reliable. I never really carried it so I ended up selling it. I'm thinking about buying another one and they have them on gunbroker for less than $300 shipped & ffl. I'm thinking hard about one of their cerakote dark earth pf9's because the color would blend in with clothes better than flat black.

While mine was 100% reliable, I never really got that feeling of superb craftsmanship or rock solid quality. Kel-Tec is what it is. They sell to the market who wants to buy the absolute cheapest gun they possibly can in that niche and they do well for what they do. The PF9 I had was great, but that's not always the case. Having said all that, for another $100 I think you'd get a lot more quality in a gun going with the S&W shield.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Better Gun

If your wife has the LCP and you have the Kel-Tec, your wife will have
    the better gun, by far.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If your wife has the LCP and you have the Kel-Tec, your wife will have
    the better gun, by far.

I don't know about that. The ruger has some nice features that the PF9 doesn't have, but would you bet your life on a semi auto Ruger with all the recals they've been having? I wouldn't, and I'm a big fan of a lot of Ruger products. I love the 10-22, the mark series pistols, and their revolvers, but when it comes to a semi auto pistol I have heard of too many recals and not enough good reviews. Do whatever you want, but I'm not betting my life on a Ruger.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I would place the Khar as a higher quality gun than a Kel-Tec. But I carry a P3AT and a P11 Kel-Tec, because they are reliable and a great gun for the money. I don't find the PF9 small enough to pocket carry (so P3AT for me) and I don't find the P11 much bigger than the PF9 in width, so like the double stack capacity.

The P11 trigger isn't too bad, but it is a really looong pull. It is still an accurate, reliable gun.
    That's a big 10-4 on the P-11. I enjoy shooting the P-11 over the PF9 too. I had a PF9, but it was getting "ouchy" to shoot.:D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had one for a short while. It was a decent gun for the money. 1. I could not fire more than 100 rounds through it at one time. Yes, I shoot my carry guns a lot, for a reason 2. The barrel and slide rusted, no matter if I kept it oiled or not. 3. The trigger was decent at best. I sold it and bought a Kahr PM9. Yes, the cost is almost double, but it's a much better gun. I can shoot it all day without beating up my hand. The trigger is a hell of a lot better. Lastly, it does not rust. Like I said, for a $300 gun it's not bad. Personally though, I would spend more and get something else. Unless you just wanted it as a truck/car gun.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have one and it sucks. I have a failure to extract constantly. I think it is magazine related but cannot seem to get it squared away. The trigger is terrible. I can make head shots at seven yards but it is very difficult to do and I cannot do it fast. When I carry the gun it is a back up and never the primary weapon as I can only count on one shot. I will not be buying another one.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I picked one up recently off gunbroker for like $270 after ffl and shipping. I got the OD cerakote slide/black grip. I added the belt clip and hogue jr and got a MIC holster THE GLOCKTECH STORE - MIC Holster for Kel-Tec PF9. Trimmed down the MIC on the belt clip side of the frame just a little so it would fit on there nicely. So far 300 perfect rounds out of her. VERY snappy gun. Wear a glove on your shooting hand. Love this pistol for the pricepoint and the concealability. I don't OC ever - I believe OC'rs to be cowboys with something to prove - sarc off. ;)

Top Bottom