• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazycatlady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Allen county
    I am new to INGO. I am researching 9 mm options to on-body carry for the first time. I held a Keltec PF9 recently at a gun show in Indianapolis. It fit my hand really well. Much better than my brother's Taurus 709 slim. Plus I am able to rack the slide. However, in doing further research, I see issues with reliability. Has anyone had much experience with this gun? Thanks.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    You should check out my thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/319031-what-get-ccw.html

Also if you're able to rent a pf9 and try it first, that's what I'd do if you're set on that gun. Honestly ,I avoided it because of all the negative I heard about it. I wanted something with more proven quality to defend myself with. I know people with them that like them, but they don't carry them either...

Hope this helps!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    You should check out my thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/319031-what-get-ccw.html

Also if you're able to rent a pf9 and try it first, that's what I'd do if you're set on that gun. Honestly ,I avoided it because of all the negative I heard about it. I wanted something with more proven quality to defend myself with. I know people with them that like them, but they don't carry them either...

Hope this helps!

I think George Zimmerman proved the PF9 works quite well. I had one and loved it but I wanted to stay with .45 so I sold it to my dad for XDs.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you like the size and feel of a PF9, you should check out the M&P Shield. It's also 9mm, the grip is similarly-sized, and it's got Smith & Wesson reliability. That said, I carried a PF9 for awhile, but I eventually sold it for that reason.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I had a PF9. Liked it, but not a fan of DAO triggers. It was a great size for concealment and very thin and lightweight to boot. I never had the first feeding issue with it. When I did carry it, which wasn't much, I loaded it up with corbon powerball. Only reason I sold it was I'm not fond of 9mm and it was my only 9mm.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had 3 of them and never had a problem.If you decide to go with the PF9, I'd go with the stainless or parkerized slide and buy new. $350 for a used,blued model is NOT a deal since they sell for around $250 new (blued) and Keltec only honors their warranty to the original owner.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    If you like that size of handgun, take a look at the S&W Shield. Or, the Kahr CM9 which is a little smaller.

For just a few more $$$ you get a more reliable handgun. Personally, I've never seen a PF9 that was 100% reliable but, YMMV.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    buy new. $350 for a used,blued model is NOT a deal since they sell for around $250 new (blued) and Keltec only honors their warranty to the original owner.

OP,

This is great advice, since if the rest of us are unable to talk you out of a KelTec, you'll very likely need that warranty.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    All reliability issues I've heard about on the PF-9, have been caused by weak-wristing it. Two women one man. When I shot all three guns at the range, no problems.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife has ( and carries) a PF-9. Never had any issues with it on her part, and the only issue I have ever had with it was the mag popping out when I shot it, but that was because the position of my hands, and it being a small handgun. My thumb would hit the mag release under recoil, but after figuring the issue out, corrected my grip, its been nothing but perfect.

They are cheep, and there are better options out there, but if its what you can afford, and something that you like, then go for it. I will encourage you to look around at the many other mini 9s on the market today though, as there are quite a few now that you might find a little more comfortable in your hand, and probably with a better fit and finish.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    OP,

This is great advice, since if the rest of us are unable to talk you out of a KelTec, you'll very likely need that warranty.

let me try ...

You'll regret it and wish you held your money and got something better. I got a standard version (that us, the typical gun that the dealer said I needed to send back to the manufacturer and get a "fluff and buff"). I liked the fit and feel if mine and it shot well if you don't mind clearing the gun every other shot due to stovepipe. It was very exciting to shot the pf9. Especially when the extractor screw loosened up and allowed the firing pin to shoot back at me.

Youll regret it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    All reliability issues I've heard about on the PF-9, have been caused by weak-wristing it. Two women one man. When I shot all three guns at the range, no problems.

In other words. Even though no other gun you've shot has the problems the pf9 exhibits, it's the shooter's fault. So, only get into situations where you can stand in proper shooting range form with full power grip with no stress or prior injury and where the bad guy will hold still (good for shooting passed out drunks without pants) and you'll be fine.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    My short answer; Only downside of the PF9 is it's uncomfortable to shoot. I like to shoot.

Slightly longer answer; it's great for a carry gun. It seems to be reliable. Light, small, thin and point and shoot. I prefer to carry my G36 as I prefer .45 but the PF9 is a nice alternative.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Please do alot of research before you buy
    a pf9.

Alot of people have had a great deal of trouble with them.

I had one and it was a nightmare.

There's alot of better choices out there.

Jimmy

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    The range - gun shop I go to, will not sell Kel-Tecs. To many reliability issues.
    I had a P-32 that I had to send back twice, before it would work at all.
    I would stay away myself. There are much better guns out there.
    I must say their customer service was good. I guess they get a lot of practice.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I'm in the camp that has and has had several Kel-Tec's and haven't had a single problem with any of them. I did have a PF9 that the firing pin came out of the back at me as Mackey mentioned, but that was MY fault for not getting it put back together correctly. Other than this, 3 PF9's and 2 P3AT's have been trouble free in my experience.

With all of this in mind, I do not carry any of them. It's not that I'm afraid of a malfunction, I just have other guns that are in the carry rotation that I like better than the Kel-Tecs.

As for those that will tell you no gun should have to have a "fluff and buff" done when you purchase it, keep in mind that ALL guns you intend to carry should have some sort of trial period of several hundred rounds of practice ammo before putting them in service. I had several problems with my Kahr PM40 with stovepipes and FTF, etc. These problems required some fitting of the slide stop lever on my part to remedy. I now use it as my go-to carry gun nearly all the time as it is one of the sweetest shooters I have. Admittedly, I haven't had to do this type of thing with any other gun I have. Point is, even the expensive guns sometimes need some work before they go into service. Kel-tec, in my opinion, doesn't get cut any slack because they are inexpensive vs. someone like me who put $600 into a gun like that PM40 and didn't want to give up on it and call it junk right away. Much easier to do this with a $250 gun than a $600 one.

For the record, I have never "fluffed and buffed" any of the PF9's I have and have never needed to.

All of this, of course is just MY opinion and experience. Others' mileages may vary...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I think George Zimmerman proved the PF9 works quite well.

Yeah, it fired one shot and failed to chamber the next round... Quick, call the KelTec marketing department. Maybe they can even get George to be their spokesman.

"KelTec- when you absolutely positively need it to fire at least one shot, it probably will... But if not, we've got the most experienced warranty and repair department in the business!"

crazycatlady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Allen county
    If you like the size and feel of a PF9, you should check out the M&P Shield. It's also 9mm, the grip is similarly-sized, and it's got Smith & Wesson reliability. That said, I carried a PF9 for awhile, but I eventually sold it for that reason.

Thank you. The M&P Shield is on my short list. Do you how stiff the slide is?

Top Bottom