• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I've always done well at Kempfs. Dave? treats my wife very nice. I give her a list, he fills it, she pays and leaves. Sue is easy to deal with. Just don't try to deal on gun prices. Sue was very helpful when I had problems with my Lee press. After a few trips there I know what I want, I find it, pay, and leave. I can't imagine what it is like to run a small business. Mr Kempf could be more customer service oriented for those who need advice or have questions.

I just can't see JeremyVG never shooting again though... Just not right I tell yah'.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I was in there this spring looking for a rifle he had and couldn't believe the price was at list, glad to see he is friendly with everyone (thought it was just me), as I was leaving he insisted I should leave with a Lee press, haven't been back since.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, I guess I am glad that I hearing this first hand from his customers. I was actually going to drive out of my way just to go there.

I guess Cabela's will get my business instead.

Thanks

It says something when your prices make Cabelas look like a bargain!

I've been into kempfs twice now, once was because I hadn't anticipated a need and wanted to shoot the upcoming weekend.

While I haven't experienced it quite as bad as some of you, he was rude and didn't seem to care either.

I made the mistake of asking if he'd discount his primers any if I bought 5,000 large and 5,000 small, cash. He looked like I had offended him and got a bit pissed off.

I bought only what I needed, paid with a CC and left.

I wouldn't recommend his shop unless you have no other choice. I've heard similar stories from everyone I know around the area.

sawgunner74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    nwi
    been in there 4 times(cowboy stuff)i did not think his prices were all out of line,but he really could care less if i was in there or if i bought somthing.(i dont think its an act,he really does not care).i no longer go there.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ... or this thread? ;)

Could, but all of this is anecdotal. I'd never heard of Kempf's prior to this thread and still have not been there, but this is the Internet- how hard would it be for me to make up some story about them and tell it here? Who else would know it was not true? It's only that I have scruples and am honest stopping me.

(Edit: that's not intended to call any of you liars. I have no reason to doubt any of your stories' truth. I'm just saying that if a manufacturer is going to pull a business's distributorship, they're going to want verifiable fact. No offense meant, apologies if any was taken.)

Alternatively, GB auctions or them calling his store and getting :poop: service is something they can "hang their hat on", so to speak, although it sounds like they may have changed management (at least) and gotten their act together, if the post about the daughter is any indication.

:dunno:

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I never spoke to anyone @ Kempf's, but I did order some things from their web store. They shipped fast, had good prices, and packaged everything very well. The email communication we had was professional.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Just throwing my experience in the ring so to speak.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I went in there today for the first time and the old guy is pretty crabby. I asked to see a pistol and it was like pulling teeth.

StumpyPete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I just dropped 200 in there for a complete Lee Turret kit and a couple sets of dies. I was belittled because I refused some of their 'upgrades.' I will say they have quite a bit of reloading supplies in stock if and as far as I know, they're the only game in town if you can't wait for shipping. I find it best if you know what you need go in and get out. Asking questions or 'window shopping' will get you the stink eye or worse.

iwork4pepsi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've lived in Michigan City/Trail Creek area all of my life. I have been into his store several times for fishing and hunting needs. His shop is in a convinient location, thats the only reason I frequent there. He has never been friendly to me. His daughter is nice, but she's not always there. This past spring, my son and I decided to go fishing for coho in the creek (a popular hole, is a stones throw from his store) and stopped in to get spawn and a fishing license for me. He said he doesn't sell licenses anymore because they wanted him to get a computer to sell them. If you want to spend your hard earned money at a place that appreciates your business, dont shop at Kempf's!

alvispace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I stumbled into Kempfs for the first time about 2 years ago and have been there about 10 times since. First trip was gun hunting, I left with a new hobby (reloading). I've bought 5 or so guns from them, lots of other items and many reloading supplies. The first time I felt Mr. Kempf displaying a bit of unwelcome grumpytude, I simply took pause in the conversation and non-verbally displayed my not liking the manner in which he was speaking to me and he responded appropriately with a bit more kindness or less abrasiveness, whichever you want to call it.
    I understand and don't dispute others experiences here online, but i gotta say that I was a bit off put by the condemnation by those with bad experiences. the guy who got the price change after phoning, I don't blame you for calling it quits from there on out.
    Can't remember in some of the other posts what was so egregious that Mr. Kempf, a 9 year Navy armorer (not sure all the other service he gave our country, but I'm confident its more than just the 9 years in a gun repair shop in the Navy) should be cast as someone to never go to. Again, I understand some have had bad experiences, but they all seem to be of a trivial nature like 'didn't like the conversation' or felt ignored vane. I guess that's enough to not go back yourself, but posting some of the venomous statements I read seems to be a bit harsh.
    For those of you who have not been there, Mr. Kempf is not a small talker, he is irritable, both his daughters more than make up for the abbrasive nature of their father though.

I believe that he feels that if he advises someone on an issue, say like what to get for reloading supplies or tools, then you should take that advice. Hence, when someone decides even after asking for direction on an issue to dismiss it or possibly argue with it, he may react in a way that is not pleasing to a customer who feels the customer should be served to the utmost.

When I go into the store now, I am recognized, he comes to help me and we talk like we've known each other for a couple of years. I don't think I deserve anything more from him that what I am getting, it just took a bit more of a "get used to" learning curve than most people. I find that when he speaks, I shut my mouth and listen. He's got a lot to teach and I don't mind spending extra time listening on the likely chance that I will learn something. I think Mr. Kempf appreciates that about me, but who knows, there still are one or two times when I raise an eyebrow to what I just heard or the vibe I just got from him. As far as I'm concerned, he's alright by me. I hope those who have not been to his store yet at least find it worthy of trying before they repeat what they have read here or decide outright not to even go.
    Whatever the case is for those who have decided not to go back to Kempfs, I appreciate your letting us all know your experiences.

God Bless all of us, even the grumpy.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    I am planing a trip to Kempf's for a certain gun the have listed on the internet for a great price. Of course I'll call first to verify it is in stock and the price is the same in the store. I have a friend in Illinois who shoots Cowboy style, he swears by them (Kempf). He did tell me to deal with Sue.
    I agree with alvispace comment, go in and make your own judgement. Personally, I enjoy listening to salty old dogs. You can learn a lot of history, and believe it or not, there is an education there too.
    I'll try to post my shopping experience.

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    Interesting thread! I live a couple of miles from Kempf's and had taken my Browning "Sweet Sixteen", which I inherited from my Dad and is in mint condition. Mr Grumpy pretty well berated the gun as a "kid's gun" and failed to really answer my questions. After that gruff experience earlier this year, I have not returned. I have found too many customer service oriented gun shops in Valpo and South Bend.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I deal with ole man Kempf all the time.

He wont jump over the counter to hug ya, but I have had him laughing a couple times since I've known him.

Bought many guns and got many good deals from him and his daughter.

He enjoys price haggling as long as you don't insult him with yer offers.

Who would?

I look at it this way....put yourself in his shoes and imagine what he deals with daily and for all those years.

Idiots, know it all rambos, gangsta thugs, mall ninja wannabes, etc etc.

I would probably be grumpy too.

Not making excuses, just stating the facts.

I think hes basically a good guy, just getting tired is all.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Im sure even old Don has a few happy customers. It kinda sounds as if the majority has had pretty bad luck with this shop. The scariest thing I an reading is the prices. I am pretty certain that even Gander Mountain has this shop beat, and that store is usually one of the highest places I have personally seen.

Maybe there needs to be a warning thread started, where INGO members can find a list of Indiana gun shops that are better to be avoided, or at least taken as "buyer be ware".

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well...usually his prices are too high. But just last week I won one of his Gunbroker auctions. I went to pick it up and was in and out of there in a few minutes. I guess I am not that sensitive, being a grumpy old man myself sometimes. If he wants to be grumpy...so what, as long as I get a good deal.

qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    For me, I work too hard for my money to give to someone who acts like a jerk. I am the customer, I do not expect to have to teach or hold this guy accountable for is ways. He is in business to profit from his customers, and being the wonderfully capitalistic market we live in, it is in his best interest to treat potential customers with respect. And that is anything but what he does. I too have many years active duty Navy and some National guard, so what? My parenting days are over and I'm not about too teach him what his mother never did and hand him my money. I'm not there to sit as his feet and "learn" from him when he won't manage to give the slightest amount of courtesy/respect I would expect. If he can't stand the heat, then he needs to get the crap out of the kitchen. If you are a sour old grump yourself, then you have a home (sounds like a heck of a day out), but I expect more from someone who stands to profit from me than to be berated by an old poop. I wouldn't buy a squirt gun from the shop, and never will. I suspect there are many who agree.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    the tragedy is i read every post on this thread KNOWING myself that he has been a jerk for at least 20 years that i know of. i went in last year after not having been in there for at least 15 years and yea he was still grumpy. it honestly looked like he had the same stuff in there, but that could just be me.............

jake

Top Bottom