• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    I seen him a show in Nappanee this spring and he acted like he didn't want to be there. He is an a hole. Won't go in the store or send anyone there.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    How about some specifics?

Who is this dude?
    Where does he do business?
    What does he do to be a smart ***?

>>>ooops..thanks for the language catch..my bad...

Last edited:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Kempf's Gun Shop Michigan City.

Yeah he is a real (would be edited by~shooter521) and what sucks is he is a LEE distributor and has the dies I need in stock.

I called him last week to inquire about a set of .223 dies I asked if he had the set with the factory crimp die included, He goes on to tell me how LEE doesn't include the factory crimp die in their sets that it has to be purchased. So I gave him the LEE part number I was looking for. He tell's me and I quote"If you know so much what are you calling me for?!?!?" and he hung up.

He could be giving stuff away and I won't use his shop, when the old man had it it was a great shop now that the kid has it I wouldn't shed a tear if it burned to the ground!!!

What's really bad is he is a direct distributor for Rainer Ballistics too... Makes me wanna cry:xmad:

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    Kempf has been a roaring a**hole as long as i can remember. I have been going in his shop since before i can remember. My dad has been reloading for 45+ years, and for the longest time kempf was the only guy to get reloading supplies from, without driveing for hours. Since he was your only choice he didn't care how he treated you because he knew you were gonna buy from him. Add to the fact that he is a direct distributer for LEE and a few other componies his prices were impossible to beat.
    With this new fangled In-ter-net, his prices aren't so hot, and we have a whole world of establishments to purchase from. The sad thing is he has a whole warehouse of PRIMERS and he refuses to sell them out of his store. He sells them on gunbroker for $100/1000, Tripleing his money. when you want to purchase primers in his store you better buy a press, powder, dies, and bullets. After you are set to spend $500 on supplies he might sell you 500 primers for $50(he tried to do that to me when i bought a press). I refuse to darken his doorstep ever again. There are too many other suppliers out there then to submit myself to an a**hole like that. I now do a majority of my reloading shopping at Granger Guns.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    OK..... now I know who you guys are talking about!!!

This is the dude who usually sets-up at the 1500 just to the left of the main entrance. The $100 for primers was a dead give a way!!! A buddy of mine was in need of some SR primers a couple of shows back and this ***hat was asking $100/1000. My buddy and I just laughed in his face and walked away. We found some later for a more reasonable $35/1000.

We told the lady that we bought the primers from about his pricing and after she got done laughing, she said.. "Ya know that's just wrong. That will come back and visit him someday". I agree!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

Last edited by a moderator:

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    He also has a Daughter that has inherited his rosy disposition ( I've seen her at gunshows)
    I'm guessing he's pushing late 70's early 80's
    Another grump that I used to know well ( Most everyone thought he was but I got along swimmingly with him, Chuck from Jeep Acres) for grew up with him in Michigan city / Laporte and says he's always been a Grump LOL guess it takes one to know one LOL.

Was 1993 last time I steped through his doors got treated like Dog meat ( and like an elephant) I'll never forget. Nor will I spend any of my money in his shop or Gun Show table
    He could have the best prices and I still would pay 25% more as long as I am treated like a human

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Folks, if this guy is so bad, I think I'd be writing a letter to Lee and Rainier to tell them the kind of guy they have representing them. Provide them some proof, like his listings on GB or suggest that they call him anonymously to confirm his treatment of people over the phone... who knows, he might just have his distributorships pulled and made available to someone else.

Gotta love the free market, where a business owner who fails to provide customer service fails to have customers to serve.

Additionally, once his business is in the toilet, someone might offer to buy it off him... for pennies on the dollar. What goes around comes around.

Blessings,
    Bill

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Folks, if this guy is so bad, I think I'd be writing a letter to Lee and Rainier to tell them the kind of guy they have representing them. Provide them some proof, like his listings on GB or suggest that they call him anonymously to confirm his treatment of people over the phone... who knows, he might just have his distributorships pulled and made available to someone else.

Gotta love the free market, where a business owner who fails to provide customer service fails to have customers to serve.

Additionally, once his business is in the toilet, someone might offer to buy it off him... for pennies on the dollar. What goes around comes around.

Blessings,
    Bill

Repped, this is the best way of doing it in my mind. Distributors and manufacturers will listen to lowly customers and will take action if thier product is being sold in a bad light.

nwindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Michigan City
    I live in Michigan City had to go there to get small pistol primers $4.29/100. No one else has them. Also picked up some Rainier 9mm 124gr. tcj r n at 11.95 a 100. They are not the friendliest of folks thats for sure.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Wow, I guess I am glad that I hearing this first hand from his customers. I was actually going to drive out of my way just to go there.

I guess Cabela's will get my business instead.

Thanks

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have gone there a few times...I bought 2 guns from him last summer.
    I have dealt with a lot of crabby suckers before. If he has something I want ...I overlook it.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Last summer I called and asked if he had a certain firearm in stock...He said "come and see for yourself" When I told him I was a half an hour away he said "I got one for $389"...When I got there, the S&W went up to $449. His response "you must have called somewhere else" I hit redial on my phone and said "yep I called somewhere else" as his phone rang. WON'T GO BACK...

Ghostrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I went to Kempf's a couple of weeks ago for the first time. The old man is still there but I think the daughter runs the place now. She seems to be ok to deal with.

I wanted to buy some Rainier bullets and I wanted to make sure they had them in stock before I made 37 mile drive from Mishawaka. She answered the phone when I called and she went and checked for me and made sure they had them.

When I was at the store she was the one who was running the cash register. I asked a couple of questions and she treated me ok. I just emailed them a few days ago asking about primers and they got back to me pretty quickly with the answer.

I was leery when I went there because I had heard the old guy was a jerk.
    but I was treated ok. But I wasn't dealing with the old guy. I may have a different opinion if I did.

There is a shop in South Bend that sells reloading supplies. It is Len's. He sells Lee and Dillon presses and dies along with powder, primers, and bullets. I'm not sure how his prices compare on reloading presses but you can also go in there and ask him a question and he will help you out. He knows his stuff. He is also as politically incorrect as I am so we get along fine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom